• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Next Leicester City Manager

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Think we need pragmatism. That doesn't just equal 'defensive'. Somebody who will make the most of the tools he has. Somebody who can utilise players who have been cast aside if we're really this far up the shit creek. Can we afford to not use the likes of Souttar for example?

Posted (edited)

Can see Carlos Corberan at Leicester to be fair. He's done some pretty impressive jobs at Huddersfield and West Brom given what he's inherited and at some stage, he'll get a crack up there with someone.

He'll know his parameters and will feel he can operate within them, budget wise, current squad and of course, impending points deduction. He always has his teams set up really well. You can see him making Leicester defensively a harder team to score against.

But, it also totally smells of relegation for them already. Never a good sign when you go up and you can't keep the manager that got you there.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Can see Carlos Corberan at Leicester to be fair. He's done some pretty impressive jobs at Huddersfield and West Brom given what he's inherited and at some stage, he'll get a crack up there with someone.

He'll know his parameters and will feel he can operate within them, budget wise, current squad and of course, impending points deduction. He always has his teams set up really well. You can see him making Leicester defensively a harder team to score against.

But, it also totally smells of relegation for them already. Never a good sign when you go up and you can't keep the manager that got you there.

I also don't really know of an instance where the manager was approached by a club like Chelsea either in fairness. Victims of a quite peculiar situation, and frankly era in football where managers are getting jobs well above what they probably ought to based on potential rather than pedigree.

I don't begrudge him the move although it's quite clear from the tone of the announcement at our end and articles surrounding it that it's really pissed us off. What I think had happened is he'd threatened to leave for Sevilla or Porto but would stay on the basis he was given certain assurances, we gave them to him and then Chelsea offered him the job out of the blue.

Would be very intrigued to know what those assurances are. Cannot help but feel they would've actually been for our benefit in the long run. Putting a bit of fire up the board. But of course, as is life, they will all survive it. I bet nothing changes at that level and they'll turn to a manager who will play ball. I reckon they expected that somewhat of Maresca but he had a bit more about him. I'll miss this side of him more than I will his football to be honest. We went from efficient if a bit dull to just being a bit dull, albeit got over the line.

I don't buy that no manager would touch us with a bargepole as some want to make out but we are definitely a risk. It is probably going to be somebody out of work or somebody in charge of a lesser club. I think the likes of Potter would consider us too big a risk. I can see a lot of sense in Carlos Corberan. Funnily enough he was the manager I wanted a year ago based on his consistent ability to get respectable finishes in tough situations. I think he can point to more situations of getting above the sum of his parts than Maresca can. He's never managed at this level and this makes him a risk, but I like him. I think his football would be more suited to a team likely to be on the back foot and as well as that - our fans too. I don't think our fans as a collective truly bought into Enzoball even though it got us up. I think Corberan would go down a bit better.

20 hours ago, Lucas said:

In fairness, if a club like Chelsea want you as your manager, you'd struggle to turn it down.

If it was someone like Fulham for example, then I'd agree with you more.

• Subscriber

Steve Cooper has definitely been in contact.

Very torn on that. I think his problem is the obvious Forest connection is going to put him on a bad footing from the off, and I know we've had Morgan and O'Neill go on to do brilliantly here after years at Forest, but it's volatile enough. I'm not sure we need to add him into this.

I don't think he is a bad manager though.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dan said:

Steve Cooper has definitely been in contact.

Very torn on that. I think his problem is the obvious Forest connection is going to put him on a bad footing from the off, and I know we've had Morgan and O'Neill go on to do brilliantly here after years at Forest, but it's volatile enough. I'm not sure we need to add him into this.

I don't think he is a bad manager though.

If he's a good manager then so be it, in my opinion.

It's not like he's one of the almighty Forest legends or had several years there. Morgan was and that didn't deter us.

I think I can look past the Forest connection for Cooper, and he's not coming directly from there which I suppose helps (again, Morgan did though). If he can do a job to keep us up despite the points deduction and financially-impacted squad, then he's fine for me. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

If he's a good manager then so be it, in my opinion.

It's not like he's one of the almighty Forest legends or had several years there. Morgan was and that didn't deter us.

I think I can look past the Forest connection for Cooper, and he's not coming directly from there which I suppose helps (again, Morgan did though). If he can do a job to keep us up despite the points deduction and financially-impacted squad, then he's fine for me. 

I've been thinking a bit about it and I do probably agree but I don't think it'll take a lot for the knives to come out for him. I do have a bit of a gut instinct on him though that he'd take a lot of stick as first yet end up quite popular here. He was very much liked by both Swansea and Forest fans - that's a trait I've missed in managers. I was quite torn on Maresca but I don't think our fans truly took to him or his style even despite the success.

A scenario of Cooper saving us and relegating Forest would be too good to pass up as well. They'd be utterly heartbroken.

5 hours ago, Danny said:

Expect some absolutely dull football

We've not been all that entertaining for a while anyway I don't think. He seems more adaptable than just simply a bus parking merchant which he has a reputation for but I might be being very kind to him.

29 minutes ago, Dan said:

We've not been all that entertaining for a while anyway I don't think. He seems more adaptable than just simply a bus parking merchant which he has a reputation for but I might be being very kind to him.

He might be exactly what you need, especially with your potential points deduction. But I can’t say I’ve ever been impressed with his teams. His Swansea side were a dull watch that looked to break the game up, his Forest side were the same whilst admittedly doing well on the counter, that is when they actually countered.

But I think you need a long-term option and imo it isn’t him.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

He might be exactly what you need, especially with your potential points deduction. But I can’t say I’ve ever been impressed with his teams. His Swansea side were a dull watch that looked to break the game up, his Forest side were the same whilst admittedly doing well on the counter, that is when they actually countered.

But I think you need a long-term option and imo it isn’t him.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong to think this about a long term option, but who do you think that is, and is there really a harm in getting by for a year or two if that's what he offers? I'll take Crystal Palace for an example - Roy Hodgson came in and kept them up, was replaced within a year and now they're flying. He ultimately served his purpose without being a long term pick. I think we can get too bogged down on the idea that a manager will be there for years. Even Maresca for us, he ultimately came in, had one job, did it and left. It doesn't mean we're doomed for this season.

Will be interesting to see who we do go for. Steve Cooper is not somebody I associate with the type of football that I believe our hierarchy want us to play. But I also think they're quite swayed by a good interview as well.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Devil said:

Surely got to go for Graham Potter, he seems the perfect fit to me.

Potter won't take us. I think he sees his stock as higher than us while we're a risk.

Really am pissed off at what this ownership and board have done to us. We're back in the league but comfortably odds on for relegation. Pathetic decline.