talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Denmark 1-1 England - Thursday 20th June, 2024

Well it came out of Walkers mouth, it isn't Southgate's instructions to defend after they take a lead, Walker says Gareth asks them to play attacking football. If Walker is putting that performance down to "managing the game", then a lot of responsibility needs to be aimed at the players.

Edited by Michael

• Subscriber

Nothing new then. England will scrape past most teams, maybe win one match convincingly to give people hope, but lose as soon as they come up against France, Spain, Portugal or Germany.

• Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

Well it came out of Walkers mouth, it isn't Southgate's instructions to defend after they take a lead, Walker says Gareth asks them to play attacking football. If Walker is putting that performance down to "managing the game", then a lot of responsibility needs to be aimed at the players.

Do you think he's going to dig out his boss in the middle of a tournament? 

Just now, Michael said:

Well it came out of Walkers mouth, it isn't Southgate's instructions to defend after they take a lead, Walker says Gareth asks them to play attacking football. If Walker is putting that down to "managing the game", then a lot of responsibility needs to be aimed at the players.

We have a lot of attacking players who naturally want to recieve the ball deep, which explains the lack of pressing and why Sterling used to be a favourite.

• Subscriber

England look fucking awful. This is comfortably the worst we've looked in a Southgate tournament. I've thought throughout we'll lose when we hit a big team but I actually think we might well be humbled in surprising fashion here. We're all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you think he's going to dig out his boss in the middle of a tournament? 

I think he would be honest yes. There are many managers who ask their teams to defend after they take the lead, it's not something shameful, it's just tactics. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

What about the first one? Serbia completely dominated you in the 2nd half. 

I think you need to have a look at the stats for that match.. At best they had the last 10 minutes of the game

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

England look fucking awful. This is comfortably the worst we've looked in a Southgate tournament. I've thought throughout we'll lose when we hit a big team but I actually think we might well be humbled in surprising fashion here. We're all over the place.

As much as I think some of the criticism against Southgate is people looking for somebody to blame, if we don't make it to the semis at least and get beaten by a France, Germany or a Portugal then he should resign. 

He's done a fantastic job at changing the culture of this England team, but we know hes not a world class tactician and losing at an earlier stage to an inferior nation would show he's taken us as far as he can.

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think you need to have a look at the stats for that match.. At best they had the last 10 minutes of the game

He's just fishing, still hurt from the last Euros tournament, it's incredibly sad to see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Anyone think the players are tired?

They did look it a bit. Also at the end of the match, a few of them were huffing and puffing. That didn't seem to be the case with the Danish players.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

They did look it a bit. Also at the end of the match, a few of them were huffing and puffing. That didn't seem to be the case with the Danish players.

Yep, even 50 year old Eriksen was pressing till the end.