• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Peaky Blinders

Recommended Posts

football forum

Without doubt the best TV series out there at the moment, I've just wrapped up the third series and it's in good timing considering the new one is out on the 15th November in the UK. Who else is a big fan of the Peaky Blinders gang?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch it it’s decent I don’t think it’s the best thing ever though, that’s high praise. 

It’s become almost a byword for a Brummie now and I wear a newspaper boy cap in the winter to so that’s become a “pesky blinder” hat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im kind of in a similar boat to FIB. Its a quality show, im a big Cillian Murphy fan and Tom Hardy was brilliant in it too. Some great twists and turns, i think the third season was a bit of a down swing. Im still interested to watch it again as it starts up but best out there ill kindly disagee. Its got nothing on the likes of West World, im more excited for season 2 of Taboo as well whenever that may be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Peaky Blinders. Absolutely ripper show I still haven’t watched Season 3 as i’m Leaving it for a special occasion. But seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost through Season 1. Great show. To be honest, I only started watching it because I knew which actor will be part of Season 2 :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good show but isn't in the top tier, I was a bit disappointed with how the third series ended as I was expecting a better ending.

Decent watch though and no doubt I'll tune in for the new season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
16 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I'm almost through Season 1. Great show. To be honest, I only started watching it because I knew which actor will be part of Season 2 :ph34r:

Seb :ph34r:?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Seb :ph34r:?

Well, he is quite the versatile actor. 

title.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
46 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Well, he is quite the versatile actor. 

title.jpg

He'll need a second career once Ferrari realise he's shit :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

He'll need a second career once Ferrari realise he's shit :ph34r:

Now you're just making a fool out of yourself, boy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I'm almost through Season 1. Great show. To be honest, I only started watching it because I knew which actor will be part of Season 2 :ph34r:

Man theres one scene between Cillian Murphy's character and Tom's in season 2 that was just so good. My favourite scene of the series by far and one of my favourites from anything. It was episode 6 of season 2, dont think it spoils anything in particular

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good show with some great actors, a British tv series managing to bring in the likes of Hardy and Murphy is probably unheard of. But I wouldn't say it's that great, I enjoyed the first season. I thought that was the best season, partially because it was new but also the storyline was just better, it was set in Birmingham around the working classes and as opposed to taking the working classes out of Birmingham which is what has happened in the latter series.

The love story between Tommy and Grace was great, I think the shows just tried too hard to get above it's station as the last season was pretty average for me. Needs to go back to it's roots of the inter-gang warfare instead of trying to one up the first plot surrounding the missing weapons.

One thing that irks me is the dialogue, mostly from Arthur and Polly. It's all "by order of the Peaky Blinders this" and Polly acting as a Godfather type character which doesn't work for me. I think at times they try too hard to make the characters like American gangster films/programmes and it all gets a bit cheesy and cringeworthy. Outside of that though I do enjoy watching it so I imagine I'll catch the fourth series whenever it's available in Oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first episode of the new series last night. Brilliant opening episode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i fucking love this show.

have been wanting to watch it for about a year probably and finally got round to doing it a couple of weeks ago. now up to date and i'm in love with this programme. 

So many powerful scenes and brilliant acting. as @Viva la FCB, that scene between Solomons and Murphy is sensational. I've now watched so much in a short time I'm gonna hate waiting a week for the next episode xD . I think Hardy's character, Solomons, is superb and maybe that comes out of the way Hardy plays it. Bit comical at times, bit like a dithering idiot in the way he comes across, but extremely powerful and dominating and uses that to his advantage. 

As many others have said, the first 2 seasons were the best. Dipped a bit in third season but not by that much. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 5:30 AM, Danny said:

Good show with some great actors, a British tv series managing to bring in the likes of Hardy and Murphy is probably unheard of. But I wouldn't say it's that great, I enjoyed the first season. I thought that was the best season, partially because it was new but also the storyline was just better, it was set in Birmingham around the working classes and as opposed to taking the working classes out of Birmingham which is what has happened in the latter series.

The love story between Tommy and Grace was great, I think the shows just tried too hard to get above it's station as the last season was pretty average for me. Needs to go back to it's roots of the inter-gang warfare instead of trying to one up the first plot surrounding the missing weapons.

One thing that irks me is the dialogue, mostly from Arthur and Polly. It's all "by order of the Peaky Blinders this" and Polly acting as a Godfather type character which doesn't work for me. I think at times they try too hard to make the characters like American gangster films/programmes and it all gets a bit cheesy and cringeworthy. Outside of that though I do enjoy watching it so I imagine I'll catch the fourth series whenever it's available in Oz.

that dialogue fits in nicely. You have Arthur who is more gung-ho, get out there and fight 'by order of the Peaky Blinders'. It's a welcome contrast to the more calculated and diplomatic Tommy. Any kind of leadership always has some kind of sibling rivalry but the best thing about it is that they always come to a compromise. The one thing I don't like is the swing created by Linda. It's taken Arthur out of what he has been doing all his life. The silver lining being is that eventually it'll bring Arthur and Tommy closer after some time of separation. 

Polly is a matriarchal character and I don't see any problem with it. The fact that there's no parent for the Shelby's means Polly is perfect as a powerful 'parent figure'. By way that Tommy is like a senior to Arthur, Polly is like a senior to Tommy. A wiser head. And that garners respect from the rest of the clan. You gotta remember it's all very tribal and territorial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stan said:

that dialogue fits in nicely. You have Arthur who is more gung-ho, get out there and fight 'by order of the Peaky Blinders'. It's a welcome contrast to the more calculated and diplomatic Tommy. Any kind of leadership always has some kind of sibling rivalry but the best thing about it is that they always come to a compromise. The one thing I don't like is the swing created by Linda. It's taken Arthur out of what he has been doing all his life. The silver lining being is that eventually it'll bring Arthur and Tommy closer after some time of separation. 

Polly is a matriarchal character and I don't see any problem with it. The fact that there's no parent for the Shelby's means Polly is perfect as a powerful 'parent figure'. By way that Tommy is like a senior to Arthur, Polly is like a senior to Tommy. A wiser head. And that garners respect from the rest of the clan. You gotta remember it's all very tribal and territorial.

I understand what they're going for but it's just too theatrical and overly poetic to try and give it some razzmatazz. Arthur is more of a caricature of someone who thinks he's the dogs bollocks than anything.

The show tries to create characters that run deeper than what you first see, the Irish copper was a quality character and the closest I can think of to Arthur in the series, though he was obviously Tommy's rival. Arthur as a character is too skinny for the man he portrays, to compare it to a brotherly relationship in another film it's similar to Tom Hardy in Lawless (Tommy) and his older brother Howard (Arthur), however in Lawless Howard fits the character because he has the size to match what is portrayed by the character, his character also doesn't pull out the sentimental and theatrical stuff that Arthur does. Arthur needs to be more of a "ave it" type person but instead it's just cheesy. I'm assuming they're going for an ex-general type background with Arthur but it'd make a lot more sense if he was tougher/stronger than Tommy.

I just don't like Polly's character, I get the idea that they want a head of the family who isn't necessarily Tommy and a strong female lead to act as a mother figure almost to a clan of lads, but again for me she falls down the same traps Arthur's character does. Everything with how those two are portrayed just seems substance over style. The best characters by far have been Tommy, Grace and Chester Campbell. Tom Hardy's character was good but it's just a bit too Tom Hardy to get too excited about.

Once they lost the cat and mouse between Tommy, Grace and Chester Campbell they lost what made it so good originally. Series 3 was Arthur and Polly personified, all flash houses and cars and not a story-line good enough to keep you that interested. The second series actually gave Polly some importance with the return of her son and how she'd deal with that, I think they try too hard with her character.

I'll give series 4 a go and I hope they can recreate what they did in the first two series by taking it back to it's roots a bit rather than getting caught up in James Bond esque government conspiracies all the time to try and out do the initial stolen guns plot.

That post was a lot longer than I expected, tl;dr I guess it's just horses for courses as they've had a 5th series commissioned to go after the 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about the Tommy, Grace and Chester storyline. it was the best. 

I've not seen Lawless so can't really comment on the similarities. Ironically, I see Arthur's character as an 'ave it' character before he met Linda. As I said, he was very gung-ho and reckless and often acted before he though (like when he took all that money for his dad; it was blatantly obvious to everyone but him that his dad was gonna screw him over. Meeting Linda was some kind of salvation and just another twist on the family. Also becoming religious and having a kid was always going to have its effects. The symmetry being that Tommy also had a kid and wanted to reign it in and end all the war because he's now a father. 

Didn't know about the 5th season. Glad to hear it though. The first 2 episodes of this 4th season are very good and better than the 3rd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like Arthur should be the leader of a smaller/not so successful ally gang than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why it's the best programme around :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well so far so good I've quite liked some bits of this season, definitely better then season 3. Adrien Brody has been really good, but i love me some Alfie scenes, last nights was another doozie of a convo.

My complaint so far was the "setup" by Tommy and his Ma. If it really was a setup why wouldnt they set a proper trap with Arthur and the rest of them. Seems like a bit of a cop out if it was that easy to trap the main wop and his men why would you make it a 4 on 1(albeit a heavily armed 1) The finale has setup well though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Well so far so good I've quite liked some bits of this season, definitely better then season 3. Adrien Brody has been really good, but i love me some Alfie scenes, last nights was another doozie of a convo.

 

  Hide contents

My complaint so far was the "setup" by Tommy and his Ma. If it really was a setup why wouldnt they set a proper trap with Arthur and the rest of them. Seems like a bit of a cop out if it was that easy to trap the main wop and his men why would you make it a 4 on 1(albeit a heavily armed 1) The finale has setup well though.

 

I fucking love Alfie xD 

  Hide contents

In regards to the bit in the spoiler, I presume it's because they see Arthur as being weak given who he is married to. He's not as gung-ho as he used to be and maybe they would have thought he wouldn't be up for it, so to speak.

Additionally, they probably don't want another member of the PB dead considering John has gone already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stan said:

I fucking love Alfie xD 

  Reveal hidden contents

In regards to the bit in the spoiler, I presume it's because they see Arthur as being weak given who he is married to. He's not as gung-ho as he used to be and maybe they would have thought he wouldn't be up for it, so to speak.

Additionally, they probably don't want another member of the PB dead considering John has gone already. 

I mean i can understand the Arthur bit, especially with the religious under tow and his wife as you say, and about the vote to take away the bullet for Adrien Brody per se. But what about the gypsie Little Finger and his gang, i dont know just seemed like kind of a weak trap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God fucking damnit.

WHY DO MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS IN EVERY SHOW I LIKE ALWAYS DIE. RIP ALFIE YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN. AND TAKE CARE OF HIS DAMN DOG TOMMY YOU ANIMAL

That Finale was pretty awesome, didnt see the Arthur twist coming that was well done. I dont really care for where the stories headed personally, as i think that was partly why season 3 wasnt great, but ill reserve judgement until the next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what a fucking finale indeed. amazing series and definitely no anti-climax like other programmes manage to achieve. 

  Hide contents

Genuinely thought they'd killed off Arthur.

Sad to see Alfie go. WIll miss his feuds and comical takes on anything really. And will definitely miss his battles/conversations with Tommy. 

Having said that, given the way we though Arthur died, I wonder if Alfie will come back in season 5. Perhaps it's best if not. Who knows?!

Will be interesting how it goes with Tommy as a politician, let alone a leader of one. Gives him more power but also puts him in the public eye even more, and a beacon for attacks. 

Why do we have to wait til 2019 for the next series though :(:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on season 1, I don't understand how their caps stay blood free. But good series so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm on season 1, I don't understand how their caps stay blood free. But good series so far.

it's the Peaky fucking Blinders mate. They roll how they want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've finally managed to finish it here in Oz and I thought this season was quality. Back to it's roots, none of that shit about Russian spies and the complete borefest that was season 3, they should just delete that season from the history books and make this season 3.

I hope they can take it to the US with the boxing and the new links with American gangsters, that could be fun. It's a shame Alfie died but also they done it very well, he was a well written character that shook things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great series, one of the best i've ever seen. I've just watches seasons 1-3. Season 4 isn't on netflix and isn't on demand/I player any more. Anyone got any ideas of how I can watch it, for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement