talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Materialism: What have you bought recently?

football forum

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo you'll like this. Got one of these in the mail this week.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thing of beauty honestly. Allows dual inputs in mono from instruments and has a stereo output with a foot-pedal attachment (that will be next).

That was the 3rd pedal I ever bought! It's fucking ace, I still have it and use it all the time when I'm practicing.

Did I ever show you my new ESP? I remember posting my SG on here... In my time in the US I've owned and sold so many guitars - but I've hung onto the SG & sold my 2 Jacksons & this (totally shite) Ibanez my neighbor gave me because he hadn't played it in over a weekend. But my ESP E-II Eclipse is the best thing I own by some distance. Got it used at a pretty decent price & it has these fantastic active pickups, which I've never really liked in other guitars, but these ones are just fantastic. I'm not sure which particular EMG set it is, but I think it might be the the HETSET based off how the pole pieces look. Either way... it's fucking fantastic, my best purchase ever. Here's an artsy-fartsy angled shot of it that I'm now using as my phone background.

my esp.jpg

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That was the 3rd pedal I ever bought! It's fucking ace, I still have it and use it all the time when I'm practicing.

Did I ever show you my new ESP? I remember posting my SG on here... In my time in the US I've owned and sold so many guitars - but I've hung onto the SG & sold my 2 Jacksons & this (totally shite) Ibanez my neighbor gave me because he hadn't played it in over a weekend. But my ESP E-II Eclipse is the best thing I own by some distance. Got it used at a pretty decent price & it has these fantastic active pickups, which I've never really liked in other guitars, but these ones are just fantastic. I'm not sure which particular EMG set it is, but I think it might be the the HETSET based off how the pole pieces look. Either way... it's fucking fantastic, my best purchase ever. Here's an artsy-fartsy angled shot of it that I'm now using as my phone background.

my esp.jpg

I kind of miss going to stores and getting great deals on guitars or from pawn shops out here but what is cheaper is making your own guitar with the way we can source woods and the amount of luthiers were have here too.Its a growing industry and people are offering some great deals. Thinking about building one for my birthday in March next year so talking to a guy who does some great custom work. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I kind of miss going to stores and getting great deals on guitars or from pawn shops out here but what is cheaper is making your own guitar with the way we can source woods and the amount of luthiers were have here too.Its a growing industry and people are offering some great deals. Thinking about building one for my birthday in March next year so talking to a guy who does some great custom work. 

Do it mate! I would absolutely do that if it were economically feasible for me, I know a guy who makes great guitars out here (https://www.roehrsguitars.net/ - his custom guitars are right up my alley, he recently signed a deal with World Music Industries in Korea to have more affordable models as well - but his custom work is much cooler). But having a made in Japan ESP that plays as good as mine, and sounds as good as mine, has me questioning whether I buy another guitar again. I fucking love this guitar.

But the fact that luthiers and the wood sourcing is cheaper there... that’s huge. It’d be made all to your specs with high quality wood and hardware. High quality gear made just for you is obviously as ideal as it gets.

I had no idea the luthier industry in India was going through a big growth spurt. That’s so cool - I hope this means there will be a big rise in rock/metal bands there!

• Subscriber
On 03/08/2018 at 18:36, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do it mate! I would absolutely do that if it were economically feasible for me, I know a guy who makes great guitars out here (https://www.roehrsguitars.net/ - his custom guitars are right up my alley, he recently signed a deal with World Music Industries in Korea to have more affordable models as well - but his custom work is much cooler). But having a made in Japan ESP that plays as good as mine, and sounds as good as mine, has me questioning whether I buy another guitar again. I fucking love this guitar.

But the fact that luthiers and the wood sourcing is cheaper there... that’s huge. It’d be made all to your specs with high quality wood and hardware. High quality gear made just for you is obviously as ideal as it gets.

I had no idea the luthier industry in India was going through a big growth spurt. That’s so cool - I hope this means there will be a big rise in rock/metal bands there!

Luthier's have been around forever here and there are a handful who are really good but there are about three in particular who are the best in their craft here and I just happen to live in a city that has one of them. The only problem with a luthier is the time and fact that I have to know what I want the final product to look like. Things don't get pulled out of a catalog with this guy so I'll have to be very specific about what I want with him. I went to him for a saddle, fretboard and nut replacement for my fender bass and the work was like it came out of a CNC which truly amazed me. Then a friend of mine told me that he did some custom work for him about three years ago and that bass sounds like nothing else I have ever heard. Sidenote, I will never buy a Fender ever again, a Squier can be made 10 times better than a Fender with very little to nothing in terms of parts replacements.

The wood might be cheap but you try and source some good pickups and a half decent saddle/bridge component and before you know it the price you'd have paid in the store is mounting up very slowly. I could do some of that work myself but I figure going to someone with building exp just cuts out all the hassle of doing the research and figuring shit out. I am also seriously considering hipshots for my current bass as well. 

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo Went out and placed an order on a guitar to replace my aging Pacifica today and its getting delivered in a week. Was deciding between a Tele and a Melody Maker when I ran across a good deal on a Gretsch G5425. I remember playing an electromatic a long time ago and distinctly remembering how nice it was in the hand and the weight. Didn't do a Bigsby as I can never really find a good use for a tremolo on anything I play or have played with bands. 

gretsch-g5425-jet-club-electric-guitar-b

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo Went out and placed an order on a guitar to replace my aging Pacifica today and its getting delivered in a week. Was deciding between a Tele and a Melody Maker when I ran across a good deal on a Gretsch G5425. I remember playing an electromatic a long time ago and distinctly remembering how nice it was in the hand and the weight. Didn't do a Bigsby as I can never really find a good use for a tremolo on anything I play or have played with bands. 

gretsch-g5425-jet-club-electric-guitar-b

Nice! How do you like the pickups in it? I also wouldn’t do a Bigsby - out of all the tremolo units you can put on a guitar Bigsby’s are the worst imo. They look cool, but they’re so bad for tuning stability.

But that’s a nice looking axe, enjoy mate. I’m jealous of anyone playing a guitar right now... 5 more weeks for me

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nice! How do you like the pickups in it? I also wouldn’t do a Bigsby - out of all the tremolo units you can put on a guitar Bigsby’s are the worst imo. They look cool, but they’re so bad for tuning stability.

But that’s a nice looking axe, enjoy mate. I’m jealous of anyone playing a guitar right now... 5 more weeks for me

Haven't got it yet. Comes in a week so will find out then and honestly from what I have seen, heard and played its got a very unique tone signature. As for the 5 weeks, they'll fly and soon you'll be rocking that SG.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Haven't got it yet. Comes in a week so will find out then and honestly from what I have seen, heard and played its got a very unique tone signature. As for the 5 weeks, they'll fly and soon you'll be rocking that SG.

Yeah Gretch's are always pretty unique sounding - I feel like each model has it's own special tone profile. They use different pickups to pretty much every guitar I've ever played, but I've never actually gotten to play a Gretch, so I've never got to judge it with the naked ear. Just off YouTube videos and stuff.

I am pining to have my SG in my hands again... but I'm missing my ESP more, I love that fucking thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Mel81x

I'm thinking about getting one of these - https://www.mooeraudio.com/product/48.html 

I'd been wanting a Line 6 HX Stomp, but this looks similar (granted, I don't think it'll sound as good) for about half the price. I wanted a little lightweight rig of something to just hook up to my friends PA, so I don't have to lug an amp around. The HX Stomp looks fantastic for what it is, but this one is so cheap and the youtube videos look promising.

Thoughts?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x

I'm thinking about getting one of these - https://www.mooeraudio.com/product/48.html 

I'd been wanting a Line 6 HX Stomp, but this looks similar (granted, I don't think it'll sound as good) for about half the price. I wanted a little lightweight rig of something to just hook up to my friends PA, so I don't have to lug an amp around. The HX Stomp looks fantastic for what it is, but this one is so cheap and the youtube videos look promising.

Thoughts?

Me and Mooer have a love hate, go FU and die relationship. I bought a transformer pedalboard (like pedal-train but way cheaper) and I have to say it was one of the best decisions I made when it comes to a pedal board.

https://www.stompbox.in/Mooer-TF20S-Transformer-Series-Pedalboard

So I figure these guys must be good and I'll give their other products a shot and you're right they are very cheap. I went and got an overdrive pedal because I wanted something small that I could carry around places and while my BOSS isn't big by any stretch of the imagination these pedals are as small as a TC Electronics single knob pedal and very easy to store and move around. Well, the pedal came and it sounded great till it decided to die on me for no real reason. Still, a cheap purchase and I wasn't too worried so I returned it and got another one, died as well. 

Fastforward a few weeks and I am now thinking I want to start learning and messing with pedal controllers. But then again they are really expensive and if you want to actually build an FX loop that can get costly and I have a lot of pedals so I figured give Mooer a try again and I got their L6 Pedal Controller. I don't know whether the pedal I got the first time (the OD) was a defective unit(s) or if it was just my bad luck but that L6 pedal controller has really lasted. I'd say go for it because they are continually improving but just beware that their QC isn't really up to snuff so you may end up with something that you'll have to return.

On a side note I picked up a Darkglass Electronics Pedal for Xmas and if you know any bassist out there I highly recommend them. Gold is all I will say.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Me and Mooer have a love hate, go FU and die relationship. I bought a transformer pedalboard (like pedal-train but way cheaper) and I have to say it was one of the best decisions I made when it comes to a pedal board.

https://www.stompbox.in/Mooer-TF20S-Transformer-Series-Pedalboard

So I figure these guys must be good and I'll give their other products a shot and you're right they are very cheap. I went and got an overdrive pedal because I wanted something small that I could carry around places and while my BOSS isn't big by any stretch of the imagination these pedals are as small as a TC Electronics single knob pedal and very easy to store and move around. Well, the pedal came and it sounded great till it decided to die on me for no real reason. Still, a cheap purchase and I wasn't too worried so I returned it and got another one, died as well. 

Fastforward a few weeks and I am now thinking I want to start learning and messing with pedal controllers. But then again they are really expensive and if you want to actually build an FX loop that can get costly and I have a lot of pedals so I figured give Mooer a try again and I got their L6 Pedal Controller. I don't know whether the pedal I got the first time (the OD) was a defective unit(s) or if it was just my bad luck but that L6 pedal controller has really lasted. I'd say go for it because they are continually improving but just beware that their QC isn't really up to snuff so you may end up with something that you'll have to return.

On a side note I picked up a Darkglass Electronics Pedal for Xmas and if you know any bassist out there I highly recommend them. Gold is all I will say.

My friend swears by Mooer effects & he's the one who's house I jam at most frequently. I'll let our bassist jam budy know about the Darkglass pedal too.

I decided to go ahead and order it on Amazon, because if it ends up being defective or a piece of shit Amazon's return policy has been very good to me. It comes in tomorrow, so I'm excited for a new toy to arrive. I'm actually fairly excited because a lot of people I know are switching from their big rigs to modeling units like this one... and the sound quality is miles away from what I remember when I first started with multi-effects units/amp modeling and cabinet simulation. It's just so much better now.

Might make me sell my little practice Marshall (at a huge loss probably lol) if this thing is as good as the youtube videos make it sound.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My friend swears by Mooer effects & he's the one who's house I jam at most frequently. I'll let our bassist jam budy know about the Darkglass pedal too.

I decided to go ahead and order it on Amazon, because if it ends up being defective or a piece of shit Amazon's return policy has been very good to me. It comes in tomorrow, so I'm excited for a new toy to arrive. I'm actually fairly excited because a lot of people I know are switching from their big rigs to modeling units like this one... and the sound quality is miles away from what I remember when I first started with multi-effects units/amp modeling and cabinet simulation. It's just so much better now.

Might make me sell my little practice Marshall (at a huge loss probably lol) if this thing is as good as the youtube videos make it sound.

I'd say keep the Marshall and use the smaller unit for travel and practice. I contemplated getting something similar from Xoom but I can't give up a proper amp + board + short FX loop because of the fact that I play a bass. Have you ever used a Noise Gate? If so what have you used? I am contemplating a Sentry because my old Pacifica is making a weird noise in the line and while I could fix the pickups the new buzz actually sounds kinda nice haha.

37 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I'd say keep the Marshall and use the smaller unit for travel and practice. I contemplated getting something similar from Xoom but I can't give up a proper amp + board + short FX loop because of the fact that I play a bass. Have you ever used a Noise Gate? If so what have you used? I am contemplating a Sentry because my old Pacifica is making a weird noise in the line and while I could fix the pickups the new buzz actually sounds kinda nice haha.

I’ve only ever used one, but I’ve been using it for over 10 years so I think it does a good job: Boss NS-2 noise suppressor. It works, which is really all you can ask of a noise suppressor. I bought it used from the guy who taught me how to play metal for probably much cheaper than what it goes for new. But I guess it would be pretty cheap used.

@Mel81x not sure if you care, but the Mooer GE200 came in yesterday and I fucked around with it for most of the time I was home. My first impressions of it are: it’s a cool little unit, these little modeling & multieffects units used to be so shite and hard to use. This one sounds very good, especially the amp models - the Peavey 5150 model sounds very close to my Peavey 6505+, which is basically just a modern day 5150 since EVH started his own brand and took the model name with him. And the model for the EVH 5150 is also pretty good sounding. You can add in 3rd party IR cabs but I haven’t done that yet. There’s a lot more it can do that I haven’t messed around with, but I made some pretty nice sounding patches. If this thing doesn’t break down I’ll be very happy with the purchase.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x not sure if you care, but the Mooer GE200 came in yesterday and I fucked around with it for most of the time I was home. My first impressions of it are: it’s a cool little unit, these little modeling & multieffects units used to be so shite and hard to use. This one sounds very good, especially the amp models - the Peavey 5150 model sounds very close to my Peavey 6505+, which is basically just a modern day 5150 since EVH started his own brand and took the model name with him. And the model for the EVH 5150 is also pretty good sounding. You can add in 3rd party IR cabs but I haven’t done that yet. There’s a lot more it can do that I haven’t messed around with, but I made some pretty nice sounding patches. If this thing doesn’t break down I’ll be very happy with the purchase.

Glad its working out. I did some reading too and some people use it quite extensively in their rigs as well. Crossing my fingers that it lasts because as I said its all hit and miss with them.

• Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo I had the chance today to play with a Helix LT at a pre-gig session and omg that device is ridiculous for what it can do. Cab sim and FX blocks with such easy re-arranging. Makes me look at my pedal-board and think its time to put it in a museum. 

6114602_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

Alexa Echo Spot by Amazon

Received it this morning and just finished setting it up.  Very smart to be honest and has a multitude of functions that are very useful.  The curious thing is that I was initially only searching to buy a nice alarm clock for the bedroom and as tends to happen on the web... One thing lead to another and I slowly let myself be guided all the way to this.

Maybe some of you already know about it but for those that don't, here's the link (scroll down) which explains most of what it can do and that they're constantly making it do more and more with frequent software updates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Smart-speaker-screen-Alexa/dp/B01J2BK6CO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544962723&sr=8-1&keywords=echo+spot

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo I had the chance today to play with a Helix LT at a pre-gig session and omg that device is ridiculous for what it can do. Cab sim and FX blocks with such easy re-arranging. Makes me look at my pedal-board and think its time to put it in a museum. 

The Helix is ridiculous. All of their units are a bit pricy imo, but cheaper than the 2 other good options for a similar product (the HX Stomp is basically the rich man’s version of that Mooer I got).

I don’t think it sounds as good as an AxeFX or a Kemper (my friend literally just bought the latest AxeFX and it’s crazy. He sold off 4 amps and all his pedals!) - but they’re so much easier to use than those 2. And the whole Helix series absolutely blows away all of those Headrush FX units (which imo sound absolutely terrible).

The state of amp/cabinet/FX digital modeling today is absolutely unbelievable to me. I remember when digital modeling was basically synonymous with absolutely terrible tone. Nowadays I think those 3 units get so close to the real deal, but are more consistently reliable to get the exact sound. Don’t have to carry an amp or a cab around either. If I still gigged instead of being the hobbyist I am today, I’d probably have a Helix LT or a Kemper (and probably an HX Stomp as a little backup just in case). Fuck carrying an amp/cab around.

Having said that, I still love the shit out of my 6505+. There’s also something satisfying about playing a massive amp in my flat (although I don’t do that when the fiancé’s in lol).

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Ordered an Moroccan teapot for making mint tea in, cost me £45 quid, it looks really weird.

Is it one of those metal fabricated ones that looks like it came out of a bad Aladdin movie? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived