talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Materialism: What have you bought recently?

football forum

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, nudge said:

Jesus, you do take your clothing seriously, don't you? xD 

Anyway, just wanted to mention that Diesel manufacture a lot of their stuff in SE Asia, and I buy their lovely, freshly made tshirts for 3-4$ at local factory outlets here... Same applies to about 200 other brands, but I noticed that you mentioned Diesel in your post, so... 

But does it still have the same comfort then?

I learned in this thread that this is what I pay for.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

But does it still have the same comfort then?

I learned in this thread that this is what I pay for.

xD My wallet surely feels comfortable after spending about twenty-thirty time less than it sells in Europe...

49 minutes ago, nudge said:

Jesus, you do take your clothing seriously, don't you? xD 

Anyway, just wanted to mention that Diesel manufacture a lot of their stuff in SE Asia, and I buy their lovely, freshly made tshirts for 3-4$ at local factory outlets here... Same applies to about 200 other brands, but I noticed that you mentioned Diesel in your post, so... 

All brands (or practically all) manufacture part of their base products in third world countries for obvious reasons Nudge.  For example with cuasual brands like Diesel or Replay, you have to buy their high end gear to guarantee it's made in Italy. The only issue I have with purchasing products that are made in Asia (and the like) are because of sweatshops and how they take advantage of their workers.  I have to also add that not all manufacturers that produce for European products in Asia are sweatshops as many brands audit those that manufacture for them.

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

@SirBalon what were you like at school when it came to essay questions on exams xD ? Did you ever finish on time?!

Actually at secondary school my English teacher used to take my stuff home to read because she knew there was no way she could skim through it xD I've always been like that although strangely enough when in verbal conversation or debate I'm a man of very few words. O.o

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Actually at secondary school my English teacher used to take my stuff home to read because she knew there was no way she could skim through it xD I've always been like that although strangely enough when in verbal conversation or debate I'm a man of very few words. O.o

with the greatest respect, thank fuck for that xD 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Actually at secondary school my English teacher used to take my stuff home to read because she knew there was no way she could skim through it xD

Guess he still has those essays on a big stack.

"I should really read them some day..." :ph34r:

Just now, Faithcore said:

Guess he still has those essays on a big stack.

"I should really read them some day..." :ph34r:

Probably burned them in front of a voodoo doll with many pins stuck in it... I remember I used to have a lot of leg pains back then that I confused for growing pains. o.OxD

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

All brands (or practically all) manufacture part of their base products in third world countries for obvious reasons Nudge.  For example with cuasual brands like Diesel or Replay, you have to buy their high end gear to guarantee it's made in Italy. The only issue I have with purchasing products that are made in Asia (and the like) are because of sweatshops and how they take advantage of their workers.  I have to also add that not all manufacturers that produce for European products in Asia are sweatshops as many brands audit those that manufacture for them.

Yeah, but my point is, if one is buying a basic T-shirt from Diesel for, let's say, 50$ or a similar basic ASOS t-shirt for 6$, the only difference is the brand name, not the quality, as both are made in the same factory from the same type 100% cotton... That's my only issue with those who claim that more expensive items are always better than cheaper ones. There are cases where it's true (especially with shoes), but for the basic stuff, it's usually nonsense.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Contemplating an Apple Watch, but not sure.

I have one and still do not know what it does apart from tell the time and time myself when I go out on a run or bike ride, but I have my phone with me also so its pointless, unless you want to leave your phone at home. 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Bet that chippy you own has really long queues and it’s got fuck all to do with the quality of food on offer xD

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

@SirBalon would you be able to present the pros and cons to such a watch?

I refrained from answering @DeadLinesman For two reasons... One, I was accused in the past of being too pro Apple and secondly because they’re one of our clients (not my department though) xD

I had an Apple Watch which was gifted to us at work (one each back in the day when it was released) and I gave it to my nephew in Spain because I couldn’t find a use for it. I still kept on taking my iPhone out of my pocket and the only other value aside from telling the time quickly was seeing messages without taking your mobile out when you’re out in company. It’s a lovely piece of technological equipment but I fail to see its use other than for running and things of that sort which is very expensive for just that. 

@SirBalon as I said, £100 is far overpriced for any t-shirt, it's not something I'd usually spend and probably won't even on this. It just looks great.

Not worth what it costs at all though, but nothing really is in this world these days as we are all mugs and we will pay it if we want something. You should try taking up carp fishing, you will have like 2/3 grand less in your bank by the end of the month if you do, and it won't end there as you will continuously buy stuff. If you want quality, you have to pay for it, but even then it's usually still overpriced as it doesn't cost anywhere near as much to make.

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I would genuinely have gotten you expelled if you was one of my pupils. What a nightmare you will have been :ph34r:

8 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah, but my point is, if one is buying a basic T-shirt from Diesel for, let's say, 50$ or a similar basic ASOS t-shirt for 6$, the only difference is the brand name, not the quality, as both are made in the same factory from the same type 100% cotton... That's my only issue with those who claim that more expensive items are always better than cheaper ones. There are cases where it's true (especially with shoes), but for the basic stuff, it's usually nonsense.

I'd just slap on my Bob Marley T-shirt if I was to take you on a date Inga  :banana:

One thing to do is wait until items drop in price as a lot do. Look at the bargain I got over Christmas with the jacket that was 260 quid going for 150 quid. The same one is now back up to £260 everywhere, so grabbing bargains like that can really save you money and you can buy yourself items you like, but wouldn't pay the original RRP for.

I got a fishing bivvy a month ago, they are £350 RRP and everywhere sells them for that, but a shop called Angling Direct always sell items off cheap when they have limited stock remaining and I managed to pick it up for £200. It's one of the best bargains I'll ever get and is top quality and for a top price. Everywhere else still sell them for £300+ so you have to grab these things while you can.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I refrained from answering @DeadLinesman For two reasons... One, I was accused in the past of being too pro Apple and secondly because they’re one of our clients (not my department though) xD

I had an Apple Watch which was gifted to us at work (one each back in the day when it was released) and I gave it to my nephew in Spain because I couldn’t find a use for it. I still kept on taking my iPhone out of my pocket and the only other value aside from telling the time quickly was seeing messages without taking your mobile out when you’re out in company. It’s a lovely piece of technological equipment but I fail to see its use other than for running and things of that sort which is very expensive for just that. 

Too late, it was purchased an hour ago. Hopefully it’ll get me off my fat arse.

18 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Mate, it has its uses, but to get the most out of it you have to forget to take your skartphone out everytime. It is noce though. ;)

16 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I actually stopped short guys because when I saw the size and that I still wanted to say so much more, then I gawped and said that'll do. xD

Let me just say this... If men want extremely good quality quality mens wear for a low price, then go to the Japanese store UNIQLO... You're getting very good quality products for a very low price.  Then there's GAP which have very good quality at affordable prices.  Anyway... I leave it at that. :ph34r:

Yes! I usedUNIQLO and GU all the time in Japan. 

23 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Don't forget to get the contractors to carry out the full risk assessments before commencing work.... and make sure any equipment used is fit for purpose mate.. People get hurt all the time when carrying out heavy lifting without using the correct technique so better to be safe than sorry.... 

Archived