talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Materialism: What have you bought recently?

football forum

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a Marshall DSL1CR practice amp because my old practice amp and I always wanted a Marshall. It’s pretty cool having a valve amplifier that’s just 1 watt so you can crank it and not piss the neighbors off too much. Having a shite little 8 inch speaker isn’t that cool, but it sounds so much better than my old practice amp & I’ve got a cabinet with 2 12 inch speakers I can plug into. And it sounds fucking outrageous when powering some actual guitar amp speakers.

Pretty pleased with my decision to leave work early since I’ve got to travel tomorrow and get drunk and get my friend to drive me to a guitar shop.

• Subscriber
On 6/26/2018 at 03:24, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just bought a Marshall DSL1CR practice amp because my old practice amp and I always wanted a Marshall. It’s pretty cool having a valve amplifier that’s just 1 watt so you can crank it and not piss the neighbors off too much. Having a shite little 8 inch speaker isn’t that cool, but it sounds so much better than my old practice amp & I’ve got a cabinet with 2 12 inch speakers I can plug into. And it sounds fucking outrageous when powering some actual guitar amp speakers.

Pretty pleased with my decision to leave work early since I’ve got to travel tomorrow and get drunk and get my friend to drive me to a guitar shop.

I sometimes wish they made something small and practical for bass guitars but the word small there never really applies to the instrument. Its bad enough that I have thin walls but what makes it worse is that I am sure my neighbors have heard me curse when I decide on that one day that I want to actually hear my amp in all its glory. I am currently eyeing an Orange amp for purchase but then I think that it will be such a pain to carry to a studio so I'll stick with my Laney right now.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I sometimes wish they made something small and practical for bass guitars but the word small there never really applies to the instrument. Its bad enough that I have thin walls but what makes it worse is that I am sure my neighbors have heard me curse when I decide on that one day that I want to actually hear my amp in all its glory. I am currently eyeing an Orange amp for purchase but then I think that it will be such a pain to carry to a studio so I'll stick with my Laney right now.

Yeah mate that’s tough, there’s these new Peavey bass combos I saw in some video for NAMM 18, they aren’t that small though but I think there is 1 small one. The hard thing is getting bass frequencies to sound good through small speakers for a small amp. IMO anything less than a 12 inch speaker sounds a bit weird (that includes on guitar and with my new Marshall). And obviously with bass you’ll have lots of bass frequencies lol. So yeah that’s tough.

Laney’s are great though.

Just bought a couple pairs of nice denim shorts, handful of long line style tee shirts and a new pair of white trainers to go with everything. Since I usually just wear sweaters an hoodies, I thought I best invest in some a bit more appropriate for this mad weather we are having.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Just bought a couple pairs of nice denim shorts, handful of long line style tee shirts and a new pair of white trainers to go with everything. Since I usually just wear sweaters an hoodies, I thought I best invest in some a bit more appropriate for this mad weather we are having.

Can I see some pictures mate?

Just bought a nectar king size mattress and frame. I have heard such great review about it and so the wife and I decided we need a new bed, a larger bed, and so we used some bonus money to splurge on a new bed. 

44 minutes ago, Eco said:

Just bought a nectar king size mattress and frame. I have heard such great review about it and so the wife and I decided we need a new bed, a larger bed, and so we used some bonus money to splurge on a new bed. 

How much does a quality mattress cost in the US?

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Mostly t-shirts.

On the denim shorts picture I like the hidden Breton striped top! xDB|

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

How much does a quality mattress cost in the US?

These are different, as they are shipped to you via the mail, which makes them cheaper, yet still high quality. 

The king bed, two great pillows, a frame, shipping and taxes is setting us back about $1,100 USD

Just now, Eco said:

These are different, as they are shipped to you via the mail, which makes them cheaper, yet still high quality. 

The king bed, two great pillows, a frame, shipping and taxes is setting us back about $1,100 USD

That’s what a quality mattress would cost in the UK and most places in Europe. Mattresses are one of those things you HAVE to go quality and they’re so bloody expensive.

Good price you got that gear for to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That’s what a quality mattress would cost in the UK and most places in Europe. Mattresses are one of those things you HAVE to go quality and they’re so bloody expensive.

Good price you got that gear for to be honest. 

Yeah - you can look them up here - https://www.nectarsleep.com/

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Mostly t-shirts.

On the denim shorts picture I like the hidden Breton striped top! xDB|

Yeah 😂 like I said, just a few plain t shirts and a pair of generic trainers that will go with a few outfits. I'm not one for fashion brands, I buy most of my gear from ASOS and I have had no issues with the fittings or the quality so far. 

As for the striped top, horizontal stripes don't work on a big fat lad like me 😂 xxx

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Yeah 😂 like I said, just a few plain t shirts and a pair of generic trainers that will go with a few outfits. I'm not one for fashion brands, I buy most of my gear from ASOS and I have had no issues with the fittings or the quality so far. 

As for the striped top, horizontal stripes don't work on a big fat lad like me 😂 xxx

Do you like GAP, J Crew or Uniqlo?

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Do you like GAP, J Crew or Uniqlo?

Not used any of them, do they do large sizes? Plus sized options? 

I might have to buy a uniqlo x KAWS sesame street t shirt though. 

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Not used any of them, do they do large sizes? Plus sized options? 

I might have to buy a uniqlo x KAWS sesame street t shirt though. 

I know J Crew do because they're a full on US brand.  GAP used to do it but I'm not sure if they continue to do so and as for UNIQLO again I'm not sure but being Japanese maybe they might not.

The reason I've mentioned those brands is because they genuinely offer top quality gear for reasonable prices and in the case of UNIQLO very low prices.

That J Crew has some very nice stuff. Wouldn't say it's that cheap though, still loom at £25 for a basic plain t shirt. 

I just looked up the uniqlo x law's collab and they are all sold out 😂 gutted haha 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

That J Crew has some very nice stuff. Wouldn't say it's that cheap though, still loom at £25 for a basic plain t shirt. 

I just looked up the uniqlo x law's collab and they are all sold out 😂 gutted haha 

But with J Crew you're actually getting high end quality that brands like Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein use with in some cases the same designers and think about the price difference. You could have some selected gear for special nights out. ;)

• Subscriber
On 7/2/2018 at 18:31, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah mate that’s tough, there’s these new Peavey bass combos I saw in some video for NAMM 18, they aren’t that small though but I think there is 1 small one. The hard thing is getting bass frequencies to sound good through small speakers for a small amp. IMO anything less than a 12 inch speaker sounds a bit weird (that includes on guitar and with my new Marshall). And obviously with bass you’ll have lots of bass frequencies lol. So yeah that’s tough.

Laney’s are great though.

Oh you're going to love this. Today, I was playing with some people for a band session and someone said they had an old bass they weren't using. I initially thought it would be something horrible and totally unplayable because it was sitting around basically doing nothing in humid conditions so the board might look like someone had a good night out and couldn't tell their left from their right. Lo and behold they show me the 'piece' they had and it turned out  to be a Yamaha TRBX 304 and it had no strings. Took it to someone to check the intonation and ended up paying 15K INR for it (nearly 1/4th the going price on the market). I honestly didn't really need it considering the two Fenders I own but if that thing was sitting in a garbage dump I'd still pick it up just because it has a fast neck and a blade switch with an active EQ (think they took this to their Pacificas as well). So now I have gathered another bass guitar which cost me nothing at all. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Oh you're going to love this. Today, I was playing with some people for a band session and someone said they had an old bass they weren't using. I initially thought it would be something horrible and totally unplayable because it was sitting around basically doing nothing in humid conditions so the board might look like someone had a good night out and couldn't tell their left from their right. Lo and behold they show me the 'piece' they had and it turned out  to be a Yamaha TRBX 304 and it had no strings. Took it to someone to check the intonation and ended up paying 15K INR for it (nearly 1/4th the going price on the market). I honestly didn't really need it considering the two Fenders I own but if that thing was sitting in a garbage dump I'd still pick it up just because it has a fast neck and a blade switch with an active EQ (think they took this to their Pacificas as well). So now I have gathered another bass guitar which cost me nothing at all. 

Nice mate, that’s only slightly more expensive than stealing it haha. I believe that classifies as a bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived