The better place to talk football.

Riyad Mahrez to Remain at Leicester

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Happy Blue said:

Mahrez might never play for you again mate after this

we've had this scenario before. Especially August when he tried to get a move out.

He'll play for us. Interesting what kind of reception he'll get from fans but happy to have him for the next 6 months. He'll definitely be off in the summer and I won't complain.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

we've had this scenario before. Especially August when he tried to get a move out.

He'll play for us. Interesting what kind of reception he'll get from fans but happy to have him for the next 6 months. He'll definitely be off in the summer and I won't complain.

He'd just be hurting himself if he went on strike, don't think we will be back for him in the summer, the money is too much for a squad player  ..will you boo him? Ha

• Administrator
Just now, Happy Blue said:

He'd just be hurting himself if he went on strike, don't think we will be back for him in the summer, the money is too much for a squad player  ..will you boo him? Ha

not at all mate. Like I said, I won't begrudge him a move to a bigger club but the deal has to be right. I'm glad that we've stood firm.

Agree he'd be hurting himself going on strike. An attitude like that (if he were to do that) doesn't go down well with many clubs at all. 

Fair play to City pulling out of the deal and not going higher. Mahrez isn't worth anymore in the current market and Leicester need to be careful as I'm very doubtful any club will offer anything anywhere near the bid City reported submitted. Mahrez clearly would like to move on and to be fair to him he has stayed on since they worth the league and showed some loyalty, so it is only fair to give him the opportunity to leave if a suitable bid comes in...and the one put in by City was more than fair.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, roversgirl said:

Fair play to City pulling out of the deal and not going higher. Mahrez isn't worth anymore in the current market and Leicester need to be careful as I'm very doubtful any club will offer anything anywhere near the bid City reported submitted. Mahrez clearly would like to move on and to be fair to him he has stayed on since they worth the league and showed some loyalty, so it is only fair to give him the opportunity to leave if a suitable bid comes in...and the one put in by City was more than fair.

never any formal bids made.

And why was it more than fair? What was fair?

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

never any formal bids made.

And why was it more than fair? What was fair?

Discussions took place though between the clubs and when Leicester quoted their price City seemingly laughed and walked away. Great news for you but I'd worry that all this will unsettle the player and will likely impact on performances during the rest of the season. The player would clearly like the leave and if the reported approx. 65 million deal (player or not included) was being muted then in this market in my opinion it represents a very good deal for everyone involved. No offence but I'm sure Mahrez is annoyed that the club have blocked a potential deal to a club who are winning trophies and playing in Europe which is something Leicester won't replicate despite their one season wonder a few seasons ago.

• Administrator
Just now, roversgirl said:

Discussions took place though between the clubs and when Leicester quoted their price City seemingly laughed and walked away. Great news for you but I'd worry that all this will unsettle the player and will likely impact on performances during the rest of the season. The player would clearly like the leave and if the reported approx. 65 million deal (player or not included) was being muted then in this market in my opinion it represents a very good deal for everyone involved. No offence but I'm sure Mahrez is annoyed that the club have blocked a potential deal to a club who are winning trophies and playing in Europe which is something Leicester won't replicate despite their one season wonder a few seasons ago.

first bold bit - people said this in summer when he (allegedly) left Algeria's national camp and flew all around Europe in search of a move. Turns out it didn't unsettle him and he's played brilliantly for first half of the season.

second bold bit - not necessarily when the club value him at nearer £100m. There's various reasons for this. The Coutinho deal. The fact we're left with no time to get a replacement. The inflated January prices anyway. 

Man City knew the score right from the start if there were talks. If they came in at £50m, then we told them 'no, £95m', and then they come back with £55m, what's the point? 

Mahrez may be annoyed but he also knew the score. As said in this thread before, there was always a gentleman's agreement between him and the owner for him to leave if the right bid came in. That agreement works both ways. 

• The title was changed to Riyad Mahrez to Remain at Leicester
29 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Im all for praising Pep when its deserved but really? His last season at Wolfsburg was a world beater season.

This season he’s stepped into the elite. You can’t say under Pep he hasn’t improved. He’s absolutely all over the pitch. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This season he’s stepped into the elite. You can’t say under Pep he hasn’t improved. He’s absolutely all over the pitch. 

Fair point but he was arguably borderline world class before is all i would say. Playing with a much better calibre of teammate around him undoubtably has improved him as well.

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah, you're right. Under Pep Mahrez would be the world's best fullback.

Archived