talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forums

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

I just thought about how a Scientist in German is called Wissenschaftler, which comes from Wissen schaffen, which literally means to create knowledge. 

Pretty cool. 

Interesting interpretion: Always thought Wissenschaft had as much to do with "Wissen schaffen" as Landschaft, Priesterschaft and Mannschaft with "Land schaffen"", "Priester schaffen", and "Männer schaffen" respectively. In this case - schaft wouldn't come from schaffen, but were the German equivalent to the English suffix "ship" , which would mean Wissenschaft were literally "knowledgeship" and a Wissenschaftler were someone committing to knowledgeship.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Wow 1

14 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Interesting interpretion: Always thought Wissenschaft had as much to do with "Wissen schaffen" as Landschaft, Priesterschaft and Mannschaft with "Land schaffen"", "Priester schaffen", and "Männer schaffen" respectively. In this case - schaft wouldn't come from schaffen, but were the German equivalent to the English suffix "ship" , which would mean Wissenschaft were literally "knowledgeship" and a Wisesenschaftler were someone committing to knowledgeship.

I have a wild imagination. I never said I'm smart though. :ph34r:

There was once a study done into a zombie apocalypse. Now this hasn't  been peer reviewed or anything so it might  not be accurate but its probably the most accurate we have.

A study actually determined that it is likely that even a slow moving zombie apocalypse would probably end society. Now until covid happens this seemed abit odd to me. However when you look at how people reacted to covid it becomes abit more understandable. Basically although we would only have to shoot them in the head,  the absolute chaos would destroy society. So even a slow moving zombie outbreak woild probably end society and it would be like the walking dead 

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Devil said:

There have been photos of their bodies for years.

How the hell did they get them into the ground. The weight must have been incredible.

Had me scratching my head then until I found this...

After approvals, the archaeologists excavated two of the Easter Island heads to reveal their torso and truncated waist. The heads had been covered by successive mass transport deposits on the island that buried the statue's lower half. These events enveloped the statues and gradually buried them to their heads as the islands naturally weathered and eroded through the centuries.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2017/07/26/famous-easter-island-heads-have-hidden-bodies/?sh=2bc3113f8041

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction
  • Upvote 1

The Status Quo is the name given to an agreement between six Christian denominations in Bethlehem and Jerusalem over shared control of religious sites and any changes made to them drafted in 1757. 

There is one ladder on a Church which hasn't moved since that time bcz all six parties must agree to do anything which rarely happens, many of these sites need repairing but no consensus is reached how to do it. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Loved it. It was not only about the portrayal of Native Americans in movies, but also to draw attention to the Wounded Knee standoff, which was under media blackout so the general public wasn't too aware of what was going on there. It's interesting to see what attitudes were had by people in the movie industry back then. Marlon Brando was an activist in the American Indian Movement for years. Roger Moore, who was supposed to present the award, helped her get off the stage and make it to the press area safely to share Brando's 15 page manifest. Meanwhile, John Wayne had to be constrained by six security guards to keep him from assaulting her, and Clint Eastwood mocked her in his speech afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, nudge said:

John Wayne had to be constrained by six security guards to keep him from assaulting her

The man who made gender role swapping a thing... from Marion to John overnight.. big tough guy attacks women.. must have felt good. Seems as though people being assaulted at awards ceremonies are a bit of a thing then.. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

The man who made gender role swapping a thing... from Marion to John overnight.. big tough guy attacks women.. must have felt good. Seems as though people being assaulted at awards ceremonies are a bit of a thing then.. :ph34r:

Always reminds me of Johnny Cash's "The Boy Named Sue" xD 

• Haha 2

On 29/03/2022 at 08:09, nudge said:

Loved it. It was not only about the portrayal of Native Americans in movies, but also to draw attention to the Wounded Knee standoff, which was under media blackout so the general public wasn't too aware of what was going on there. It's interesting to see what attitudes were had by people in the movie industry back then. Marlon Brando was an activist in the American Indian Movement for years. Roger Moore, who was supposed to present the award, helped her get off the stage and make it to the press area safely to share Brando's 15 page manifest. Meanwhile, John Wayne had to be constrained by six security guards to keep him from assaulting her, and Clint Eastwood mocked her in his speech afterwards.

Guess what I just found.... 

Marlon Brando refused the Oscar for best actor, instead sending indigenous American rights activist Sacheen Littlefeather, to state Brando's reasons, which were based on his objection to the depiction of indigenous Americans by Hollywood and television - 9GAG

• Upvote 2

The initial proposal for the fifth permanent member of the UN security council was Brazil but France was added because they wanted a silent member who doesn't really get along with any of the four members to keep balance between US/UK and Russia/China blocs.

Edited by Aladdin