talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forum

• Subscriber
On 29/03/2022 at 13:56, Bluewolf said:

Sorry for bringing the old post up, but I found it amusing that 50 years later, the Academy has now decided to apologise to Sacheen Littlefeather for the treatment she received back then.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Sorry for bringing the old post up, but I found it amusing that 50 years later, the Academy has now decided to apologise to Sacheen Littlefeather for the treatment she received back then.

Yea, I saw that on one of my feeds this week.... too little, too late

• Upvote 1

This was pretty gruesome if true... 

image.thumb.png.fedca599ede9f47a2f866f7119c55142.png

Historians believe that the reason they can't find more than two skeletons from the Battle of Waterloo is because they think the bones were all ground up to make sugar whitening.. 

There was a sugar refinery about 3 miles from the battleground and they think the corpses might have been stripped and the bones ground up.. 

image.thumb.png.a8665d731395788b868a23177a5a92f5.png

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Good thing that meme isn't from you; because whoever compares school shootings with wars in times, when war was considered a legitimate way to achieve a nation's goals, is a complete moron, to be frank.

It's a history meme bot on twitter

9 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Beelzebub according to Christian exegesis is the second in command of Lucifer. He is portrayed as having a head of a fly for which he is called ' Lord of the Flies '. 

Prominently features in English literature

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realise who you are after the name change. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

:o

image.thumb.png.6e17ef51b319c6aced2dfbcb8a840f16.png

Can't see that causing much trouble.... :ph34r:

Never beat the old cane or strap, one of our teachers when I was at primary here in the Uk many moons ago had 3 canes and he called them Mr Extra Hard, Mr Hard and Mr Medium, all 3 different thicknesses, he would always ask which one did you want as a punishment on your hand?

Never fall for the trap and say Mr Medium, please, he would then give you 3 whacks with Mr Extra Hard, in Australia, it was the strap.

• Wow 1

On 26/08/2022 at 08:30, Beelzebub said:

FbCbtfiUUAIt4OE?format=jpg&name=900x900

This meme made me curious about the other two. Mao ordered killing of willow tree sparrows bcz he thought they ate too much grain. This caused imbalance in ecology, locusts number grew rapidly, devastating for crops resulting in the Chinese famine. Nature is a bitch

Haven't found anything about Italy. 

On 25/08/2022 at 21:56, CaaC (John) said:

Never beat the old cane or strap, one of our teachers when I was at primary here in the Uk many moons ago had 3 canes and he called them Mr Extra Hard, Mr Hard and Mr Medium, all 3 different thicknesses, he would always ask which one did you want as a punishment on your hand?

Never fall for the trap and say Mr Medium, please, he would then give you 3 whacks with Mr Extra Hard, in Australia, it was the strap.

I guess under a technicality corporal punishment was allowed in private schools up until at least when I was in primary but it was up to the discretion of the parent to allow or disallow it. I never saw it happen, but my mother and her siblings copped a few canes from the nuns.

- Figs are not fruits but inverted flowers. They are pollinated by a special fig wasp which goes inside it and dissolves its body.

- Date palms have a male and female tree. Male trees produce pollen and female flowers. No insect or bee is attracted to the flowers so they have to be hand pollinated. They are usually planted in close proximity of each other. 

• Upvote 2

The ancient city of Baghdad ( capital of Abbasid Empire ) was built completely round. Naubakht and Ibn-e-Athari were the master city planners. This city model is taught in architecture and town planning schools as one of the finest examples of city infrastructure and planning even till today.

The city was completely sacked by Mongols such that the river Euphrates turned black because of all the ink from the books of central library.

• Upvote 4