• Arsenal
    • Draw
    • Man City
  2. 2. Both teams to score?

3. 3. Over 2.5 Goals?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Marc said:

Official attendance 58,000. Wonder how many through the gates, 40k?

No chance - was under 30k there. Similar levels to ours at Wembley the night before against Rochdale

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Storts said:

No chance - was under 30k there. Similar levels to ours at Wembley the night before against Rochdale

The weather had a lot to do with that, a lot more than any lack of enthusiasm for yesterday's game.  Season ticket holders aren't in the habit of not attending their allotment of games considering how much season tickets cost these days especially at Arsenal.

I live in the area (literally 5 minutes walk both from the Old Highbury Stadium and The Emirates) and I can tell you that every single street in the area (except for the main roads) were all snowed over and difficult to use as a pedestrian. All that including the ridiculous thermal effect of the windy freezing cold weather.

There's not much to read in that to be honest although it's understandable that it's being used to add to the whole chaos surrounding Arsenal Football Club right now.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Arsenal spent in Aubameyang what Man City spent on two fullbacks...

Ok...

Quickly!

Guardiola told the Man City board; "Part of our problem last season for what I want was that our fullbacks aren't good enough.  I need different attributes."

The Manchester City owners phoned the Emir of Qatar (or however the protocol works with that lot) and said... That bald headed bloke wants a bit more cash because he's had a Eureka moment and found the answer.  The Emir opened the State safe and piped it all the way to Manchester.

Enough of that crap on my part...

What I'm saying is that Guardiola has spent whatever he has because he's found answers and he's been here under two years. He is probably the best coach in the world and you would expect the best coach in the world to find answers quicker than one that isn't.

So where I'm going with this...

How much has Wenger spent on signings since he last won the Premier League?  How many answers to questions have been contained within those signings?

The point about answering questions is to me key.

Even considering that Guardiola has spent a load of money, everyone knows what exactly he has in mind when he makes transfers. He identified the weaknesses on day one, and every transfer has been consistently aiming at removing them. Lack of abiity one-on-one up front: he brought in Nolito, who didn't quite work, and then brought in Sane who did. Lack of technical ability in goals: brought in Bravo, then fixed the problem for good with Ederson. Lack of pace at full-back: Walker, Danilo and Mendy have fixed that problem for good. Lack of depth at striker/more team-oriented forward than Aguero, solved by Jesus.

Yes, it's a lot of money but at least it's being spent in a way that's always clearly trying to provide something that was missing. You could always see what kind of a squad City were trying to build.

With Arsenal it's just like things eventually get so desperately bad in a position that they feel like they need to sign someone, and then they sign some reasonably well-regarded player for 30-40 million. But there's no real vision or idea behind it, it's just reacting to whatever the worst problem is at any given time.

Like, you can look at Gundogan signing for City and think "that's a proper Guardiola player", or Matic for Mourinho, or Salah for Klopp. I don't think anyone has the slightest idea what a "Wenger player" is.

8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Like, you can look at Gundogan signing for City and think "that's a proper Guardiola player", or Matic for Mourinho, or Salah for Klopp. I don't think anyone has the slightest idea what a "Wenger player" is.

A French one.

37 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Arsenal have always manipulated attendance figures, there are frequently empty seats and have been for years.

In my experience attendances have been manipulated everywhere mate.  Even in Spain the home club manipulates the attendance if it hasn't been an optimum one. I don't understand why this is being made an issue off and I'm not talking here on the forum but by the media in general this morning.  It's as if they're using that to add more fuel to the already marauding fire.

14 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The point about answering questions is to me key.

Even considering that Guardiola has spent a load of money, everyone knows what exactly he has in mind when he makes transfers. He identified the weaknesses on day one, and every transfer has been consistently aiming at removing them. Lack of abiity one-on-one up front: he brought in Nolito, who didn't quite work, and then brought in Sane who did. Lack of technical ability in goals: brought in Bravo, then fixed the problem for good with Ederson. Lack of pace at full-back: Walker, Danilo and Mendy have fixed that problem for good. Lack of depth at striker/more team-oriented forward than Aguero, solved by Jesus.

Yes, it's a lot of money but at least it's being spent in a way that's always clearly trying to provide something that was missing. You could always see what kind of a squad City were trying to build.

With Arsenal it's just like things eventually get so desperately bad in a position that they feel like they need to sign someone, and then they sign some reasonably well-regarded player for 30-40 million. But there's no real vision or idea behind it, it's just reacting to whatever the worst problem is at any given time.

Good post and it was exactly what I was getting at with my quirks.  On the Nolito point... He should've been an answer because everything Nolito is about should've slotted in seamlessly. 

The reasons as to why Nolito didn't work became self evident just before he moved back to Spain which were that he hated it in England and it wasn't for him. A similar thing happened to Arsenal years back with José Antonio Reyes who before he got depressed he was absolutely brilliant and seemed like a magnificent signing.  It must have something to do with Andalusians that don't travel well.

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In my experience attendances have been manipulated everywhere mate.  Even in Spain the home club manipulates the attendance if it hasn't been an optimum one. I don't understand why this is being made an issue off and I'm not talking here on the forum but by the media in general this morning.  It's as if they're using that to add more fuel to the already marauding fire.

Tickets sold is not attendance; which is what Arsenal pretend it is. Im not sure if its to make Arsenal seem better supported than they are but i know Liverpool, Everton and Manchester United don't do it.

The overall performance was actually better than in the cup final (whih of ourse isn't saying that much) which is why the first 2 goals were hard to swallow as we were creating good chances and actually putting in effort and closing down better. Fair play to Man City though, both those goals were great play from them and Sane was brilliant. 3rd goal was just sloppy from us. 

Wasn't expected anything other than a loss here, I'm just glad we can now move on from playing Man City. These cunts are genuinely brilliant and no other team is even close to deserving the title.

• The topic was unpinned
14 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Its not even that, the coaching, tactics and style of play is just so much advanced. Arsenal are missing out by keeping Wenger.

Ha ha II think that is fairly obvious. Even the most hardened Wenger fans can see it's time to go now. My point is that it would be very hard for him to make a team that good at Arsenal. He could make us better but I doubt he would make us that good

On 02/03/2018 at 09:26, VanPaddy said:

Arsenal are just miles behind in everyway.

With a more fiery manager the same side could vastly improve imo.

So much of what's been lanning in arsenal in the past decade is down to the lack of balls and fight in the arsenal leadership group. Primarily from Arsene.

Archived