talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 25th April - Bayern Munich 1-2 Real Madrid (SF 1st Leg)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Its not arrogance though, its the truth.

Its like saying a bald man has hair. You could debate it all day but at the end of the day, its wrong. 

Footballers are targetted because of their nationality, its not 100% the reason they are. If a German is doing terribly, then yes you'll point it out. If a Costa Rican is doing badly but has merits, everyone will jump on the bandwagon and criticize except for obviously Costa Ricans.

Non-EU footballers don't always go to Europe if they are good. Jo went to Europe, when we have 100 of them here in Peru. I'd say in Colombia there are 500 Jo's actually.

You've been comparing two different things throughout this thread though.
1. Player's nationality having an impact on his career - I don't think anyone disagrees with that as it's pretty obvious; whether it's talent being overlooked because of coming from an "obscure" footballing nation or because of a poor scouting networks, bad infrastructure, etc., or because of EU labour laws, or even because of something as subtle as cultural/attitude differences, or many other potential reasons.
2. A player playing for a top club at the highest level and being criticised (by whom?) for his mistakes or inadequacies BECAUSE of his nationality - that's what pretty much everyone else on this board disagrees with. I don't doubt that there are a few people (on Twitter?) who might do that, as social media is a cesspool of idiocy, but only because a few mongs spout bullshit and you happen to read it doesn't make that statement true and applicable for majority of football fans. As you said, it's your opinion and you're free to share it, but yes, it does come across as extremely arrogant when you claim it to be a fact and dismiss any other views as wrong.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

2. A player playing for a top club at the highest level and being criticised (by whom?) for his mistakes or inadequacies BECAUSE of his nationality - that's what pretty much everyone else on this board disagrees with. I don't doubt that there are a few people (on Twitter?) who might do that, as social media is a cesspool of idiocy, but only because a few mongs spout bullshit and you happen to read it doesn't make that statement true and applicable for majority of football fans. As you said, it's your opinion and you're free to share it, but yes, it does come across as extremely arrogant when you claim it to be a fact and dismiss any other views as wrong.

So you agree with me? Its exactly what I'm saying.

You literally just said that there ARE football fans who are idiots that think this. That is exactly what I'm getting at, which basically just proves my point. Its not a stat, but its a fact. There is a distinction between a fact and an opinion. I'm not being arrogant.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

You literally just said that there ARE football fans who are idiots that think this. That is exactly what I'm getting at, which basically just proves my point. Its not a stat, but its a fact. There is a distinction between a fact and an opinion. I'm not being arrogant.

You are when you judge a few people's individual thinking and base it on everyone. 

That's called being prejudice 

• Subscriber
Just now, Blue said:

FACT: there are some football fans who criticise Navas because he's Costa rican (and even that's very debatable and not an established fact - I personally have never seen any examples of it - would you mind showing any?)
OPINION: Navas is being unfairly criticised because he's Costa Rican.

See the distinction?...

44 minutes ago, Blue said:

Here is another example: Wayne Rooney. Top scorer of his nation's history and he got criticized every time he put an England shirt on. Why? Because he's English. He was a top player many years for Manchester United and people would be wanking off to him if he was Germany's all time top scorer. I get that he didn't play as well for England and always performed in irrelevant matches, but that outdid some of what he did at United to some people. Just more proof that nationality can make you a target. If you don't agree with me, then you can have fun having a wrong opinion and agree to disagree. Its often a common South American mentality anyways.

Rooney is a laughable example also. The reality is exactly the opposite as you tell it, he was a media darling for many years just like Kane is now, not underrated at all, quite the opposite.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Blue said:

Here is another example: Wayne Rooney. Top scorer of his nation's history and he got criticized every time he put an England shirt on. Why? Because he's English. He was a top player many years for Manchester United and people would be wanking off to him if he was Germany's all time top scorer. I get that he didn't play as well for England and always performed in irrelevant matches, but that outdid some of what he did at United to some people. Just more proof that nationality can make you a target. If you don't agree with me, then you can have fun having a wrong opinion and agree to disagree. Its often a common South American mentality anyways.

43 minutes ago, nudge said:

Wow, the arrogance...

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

Its not arrogance though, its the truth.

Brian. 

When you come out with shite like that in bold, it is arrogance.

That's a fact. If you don't agree with me, then you can have fun being wrong.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Nudge dont. Its a trap! 😂 common sense and him don't mix well together. Its okay to have different opinions but that guy is delusional.

Y'all arguing with the dude that said Ospina was the best GK in the world and hamsik top five. Best thing to do is use the ignore button like Teso. 💪

even though he's Colombian? Wonder if there's ever been any criticism of him...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

FACT: there are some football fans who criticise Navas because he's Costa rican (and even that's very debatable and not an established fact - I personally have never seen any examples of it - would you mind showing any?)
OPINION: Navas is being unfairly criticised because he's Costa Rican.

See the distinction?...

I can guarantee you its an established fact, because there are a number of people who do think that. I'm saying he's a target. There are so many football fans in the world, I'd bet a good number of them target Navas but ignore the players from the nations they like. The only debatable parts are the hypothetical stuff, such as saying if he was German, or Italian people wouldn't criticize him so much. Its an assumption, but to simply say there aren't people who say he isn't critiqued because of that, then yes they are wrong. Its like saying there are people who don't think the Earth is flat. 

5 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Rooney is a laughable example also. The reality is exactly the opposite as you tell it, he was a media darling for many years just like Kane is now, not underrated at all, quite the opposite.

All I have ever seen were English people criticizing him for not performing for England, saying he's the worst goalscorer in England history completely forgetting his time at Manchester United. 

Kane can sometimes be seen as a culprit but I think the difference is that most logical football fans don't forget his club success, which I didn't see in Rooney myself anyways.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Luismi Quezeda, 22 year old dominican republic, plays for Real Castilla. He doesn't and will probably never come close to the first team but its because of his lack of talent not because he is from Dominican Republic.

I thought this silly argument was going to be put to rest. I post on a sub forum full of die hard blancos (i only post cause of Ronnie) and some love Navas and some hate him but never has his nationally been brought up. The dude makes silly mistakes that GKs playing for elite clubs should not commit plain and fucking simple.

He was born in Spain xD

Also, @nudge maybe I expressed myself wrongly but I still standby the fact that people criticizing Navas for being Costa Rican is a fact and exists. Me thinking he's unfairly criticized is an opinion, but there are people who do think that.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Blue said:

I can guarantee you its an established fact, because there are a number of people who do think that. I'm saying he's a target. There are so many football fans in the world, I'd bet a good number of them target Navas but ignore the players from the nations they like. The only debatable parts are the hypothetical stuff, such as saying if he was German, or Italian people wouldn't criticize him so much. Its an assumption, but to simply say there aren't people who say he isn't critiqued because of that, then yes they are wrong. Its like saying there are people who don't think the Earth is flat. 

I know that various Flat Earth Societies with hundreds of thousands of members exist, I haven't heard of a single "Navas is shite because he's Costa Rican" society though... xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I know that various Flat Earth Societies with hundreds of thousands of members exist, I haven't heard of a single "Navas is shite because he's Costa Rican" society though... xD 

I haven't heard many about Navas and am making the assumption, but I've heard them about Australians and of course Peruvians, which to me proves it exists because Costa Rica are along those same lines.

I remember in the confederations cup, we had a really idiotic commentator who claimed Kruse not having technique because he's Australian. It angered many people here, but its still something that exists. 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh Stan :dam:

what?

15 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

You know about my boy Ochoa :x  That itself deserves a rep

Ochoa is FM legend. Think around 2011/2012 version he was proper unknown in real life but was a must-buy on the game.

I think, that rather his nationality/birthplace, the most distinctive feature of his "past" is the low-profile clubs he has played for. Until his signing for Real Madrid none with a decent profile (Saprissa, Albacete, Levante)

That has probably shaped him in some way. Including some of his flaws. I've always considered him a " top-notch small-club keeper." Not necessarily the best fit for a club such as Real Madrid, but a improvement over a decadent Casillas.

8 hours ago, Blue said:

1. I never said on here

2. I have a right to share my views, whether people think I am crazy

3. This is true, but again if he was German, people would be silent at his errors. I've seen it oh so many times in the past. I recall Buffon having a bad run of form and conceding several howlers, not a peep from some people. Its just the way football fans are.

I cant talk about Buffon as i dont watch Serie A a lot but if you follow any of the Arsenal match day threads or the club thread here you will know how many Arsenal fans here call Cech being shite in the last season or two and he is an european. In some cases the past reputation might blind the fans' eyes in calling the player as bad or giving them stick (like in case of buffon I guess) but it doesnt have to do with nationality. 

4 hours ago, Blue said:

really stupid example.

it's all about performance for fack's sake.    It's not because he is English that people from england flagged him.   facking no.   i'm no english, i'm asian but at least i know that as a fan of your national team, whatever that is, you expect your top players to perform well and if they don't, that disappointment will boil over and you'll criticized your players.

but with this kind of attitude of yours, i think it's best that you just focus on your blog.    because you never listen to what other people say, you only want that your opinion will be agreed upon.    you're just an arrogant cunt or an ignorant man who thinks he knows it all.

If you don't agree with me, then you can have fun having a wrong opinion and agree to disagree.

• Subscriber

Trying to catch up with goings on around here but giving up on this thread at page 5. I must have been beyond retarded not to see that this thread has hit seven pages without instantly knowing that most of it was filled with some nonsensical back and forth somehow involving South America. :dam:

Mr. Dunning...

On 4/27/2018 at 16:25, Blue said:

then you can have fun having a wrong opinion and agree to disagree. 

...meet Dr. Kruger.

On 4/27/2018 at 17:31, Blue said:

I haven't heard many about Navas and am making the assumption, but I've heard them about Australians and of course Peruvians, which to me proves it exists because Costa Rica are along those same lines.

Archived