• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

Barcelona sue Neymar over world record transfer to Paris St-Germain

Sharethis page
Neymar
Neymar criticised the Barcelona board earlier this week

Barcelona are suing former player Neymar for 8.5m euros (£7.8m) over his world record move to Paris St-Germain.

The Brazil international made the 222m euro (£200m) move to the French club in August after buying out his contract.

Barcelona now want him to return a renewal bonus he was paid when he signed a new five-year deal just nine months before forcing through the move.

"The club demands the player return the already paid sum as he has not completed his contract," it said.

As well as the 8.5m euro bonus, the club wants "an additional 10% because of delayed payment".

The statement continued: "The club also requests Paris St-Germain take on responsibility for the payment of these fees if the player cannot do so himself."

Paris St-Germain later responded to say they were "surprised" by Barcelona's statement, adding: "The club repeats that, along with Neymar Jr, it strictly respected all applicable laws and rules and can only regret, once again, the attitude of FC Barcelona."

The lawsuit was submitted on 11 August to the Labour Tribunal in Barcelona.

Following the transfer, Barcelona announced the club was withholding a further 26m euro (£23m) loyalty bonus from the player.

Neymar criticised the directors of the club on Sunday after scoring twice on his home debut for PSG in a 6-2 win over Toulouse.

"I spent four beautiful years there and parted happy," said the 25-year-old. "But with [the board], no.

"For me, they are not the people who should be there, for the direction of Barca. Barca deserve much better."

Petty or deserved?

Already being spoken about in the Barcelona thread.

Depends how you want to see it...  Barça are in their right to sue although in my personal opinion this is just another of the many examples of why this board is incompetent.  The reason any of this has happened and more is down to them first and foremost.

5 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Ricardinho knows about pretty much every league.

@El_Loco, do you think Yerry Mina would succeed at Barcelona mate? He is another player who interests the club alot. I've been impressed by him when I've seen him, although I haven't watched him as much as you will have given that he plays for your team out in Brazil, Palmeiras.

haha Not really, Chris. 

On Mina, I think he´s a really good player. He´s strong, physical, has good defensive instincts and knows how to use his presence against attackers and also to score goals. Having said that, I´m not sure if he´s good enough to play for Barcelona. His passing and ability still leaves somewhat to be desired. Obviously, he still is young but there´s work to be done in this area, especially to join Barcelona. His countryman Davinson Sánchez, another very promissing young defender, has better skills with the ball and that´s why I think he´s more advanced than Mina. To sum up, I think Mina is already really good and will be even better, but he needs to improve his passing to take it to the next level. 

You know one south american who teams could regret passing? Emanuel Mammana. I´m still baffled Lyon sold him after only one season. 

I guess it´s all up to how the loyalty clause was written in the contract. Was Neymar getting this bonus due to the fact he was already at the club for 4 years or because he´d in theory stay at the club until 2021? If I had to guess it´s probably the first, otherwise that bonus would´ve been paid in a later date. 

So, with the deal done between both FC Barcelona and Nice, and a full agreement between Barça and Jean Seri...  Barcelona pull out in the last moment and will apparently no longer sign the player.  The only leaked news coming out from inside Barcelona is that this has been a technical decision.

If that's the case, then this is the absolute proof that the board at every level is totally incompetent.  Why spend so much time and money on a "target" only to find out in the final minutes that he isn't a player that suits the team. :dam:

10 hours ago, El_Loco said:

I guess it´s all up to how the loyalty clause was written in the contract. Was Neymar getting this bonus due to the fact he was already at the club for 4 years or because he´d in theory stay at the club until 2021? If I had to guess it´s probably the first, otherwise that bonus would´ve been paid in a later date. 

Agree with that. You don't pay a loyalty bonus before someone is loyal, as Barcelona seem to think xD

What next? A goal bonus before you score a goal

16 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Screenshot_20170822-211129.thumb.png.b644faeed17358f5047fded24fe26632.png

you sure it wasnt the hackers that pulled out of the seri deal? :ph34r:

Indeed FC Barcelona's Twitter account was hacked last night and whoever did it announced that Ángel Di María had signed for FCB. xD

The security at with those that run Twitter is a total joke...  The amount of Twitter accounts that have been hacked in recent months are too many to count.

As for the Jean Seri news...  That's come from leaked information from within the club and as far as is known is genuine.

I know getting hacked isn't the club's fault but it does add more fuel to the situation surrounding the FC Barcelona board and I wouldn't be surprised if this has been a situation instigated by those that oppose the board so as to cause more havoc.  I hope it's working!

This is the state of FC Barcelona and how it's being run at this moment:

• Jean Seri practically signed yesterday afternoon and only the last small details being ironed out.  This morning news from within the club saying that Robert Fernández and his technical team pulled out of the deal in the final moments.
  • Ousmane Dembélé deal almost finished yesterday afternoon with a new offer BvB had accepted and only a few minutes ago the news is that Barça have stopped the deal so as to focus on the Philippe Coutinho signing from Liverpool.
  • Add to all of this the joke manner on offers that Barça have been giving Liverpool for Coutinho
  • The Neymar saga on how he left Barcelona and how the club failed to dialogue with the player and was left for his Barcelona teammates at the time to do the talking.
  • The Pep Segura (technical team manager) quotes on an interview where he spoke about things that he should've ferried from commenting on.
  • Pep Segura two days previous to that oversteps his mark on his position at the club to make a public personal criticism over the performance of a player in a game (Gerard Piqué).
  • Apparently Suing Neymar for honorary payments on his contract.

I could actually go on here...

I think and hope that these people are handing out the final nails for those in powerful positions to hammer them into their coffins.

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Good strategy to not land Di Maria.

I couldn't think of a worse signing. In fact if you asked me to name 2 signings which I believe would be the worst possible ones the club could make at the start of the summer, I'd have said Di Maria and Paulinho.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

17 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I couldn't think of a worse signing. In fact if you asked me to name 2 signings which I believe would be the worst possible ones the club could make at the start of the summer, I'd have said Di Maria and Paulinho.

What's wrong with Di Maria? He proved he could do it on the big stage in Spain with RM?

Why would you pull out of deals for Seri, Dembele and Martinez, when all 3 are just what the club potentially need? Yet they go through with the signing of Paulinho.

Coutinho would be a top signing, but you'd take those 3 over just him alone as him alone is not the answer to all the problems at all. With those 3 signings, along with Semedo and Deloufeu, that would have been an excellent window, but in the end, nobody else will be signed and it's due to the board's incompetencies.

I'm now adamant that Neymar didn't leave for money and he certainly didn't leave due to being in "other players shadows", given how close he is to the squad and how much of a connection he grew towards the city. He left as he can see the poor direction the club is going in, so made a move to one who are going in a much better one.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Pique is the only player in those pics that isn't dressed like a fucking moron. Messi possibly has the worst leg tatt Ive ever seen.

20 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This time Neymar who visited Barcelona today to be with his now previous teammates at Barça, posted this Instagram... "Se Queda" (He stays) xD

This one above he's titled "Amigos" (Friends)

This one Messi posted on his own Instagram and is quite ironic and taking the piss to be honest... "Volvió" (He returned) xD

Douglas just looks out of place doesn't he? xD

1 hour ago, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

What's wrong with Di Maria? He proved he could do it on the big stage in Spain with RM?

He's nearly 30 now(a player for the future and not just the present is needed, it would be a desperate buy), all the club would be doing is helping PSG balance their books so that they can buy players like Mbappe, he plays well once in every 10 games, his decision making gets worse with age and he's a clown.

Di Maria would have been a great signing directly from Benfica back then but not anymore.

16 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He's nearly 30 now(a player for the future and not just the present is needed, it would be a desperate buy), all the club would be doing is helping PSG balance their books so that they can buy players like Mbappe, he plays well once in every 10 games, his decision making gets worse with age and he's a clown.

Di Maria would have been a great signing directly from Benfica back then but not anymore.

I mean he would be good for another three years? I don't know I think I've always rated him that's why, but he hasn't been the same IMO since he left Madrid.

Just now, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

I mean he would be good for another three years? I don't know I think I've always rated him that's why, but he hasn't been the same IMO since he left Madrid.

Don't get me wrong, I always used to as well but I find him frustrating these days.

At Benfica and Real Madrid, I thought he was excellent mate but I don't think it's a signing in the right direction anymore.

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This is the state of FC Barcelona and how it's being run at this moment:

• Jean Seri practically signed yesterday afternoon and only the last small details being ironed out.  This morning news from within the club saying that Robert Fernández and his technical team pulled out of the deal in the final moments.
  • Ousmane Dembélé deal almost finished yesterday afternoon with a new offer BvB had accepted and only a few minutes ago the news is that Barça have stopped the deal so as to focus on the Philippe Coutinho signing from Liverpool.

I could actually go on here...

The thing is, is that even though both would be gambles, they are also ones worth taking as they tick many of the boxes of what is needed and could potentially fix a lot of problems alone, especially when you consider the Semedo signing as well and the fact Deloufeu was bought to add that extra depth that was lacking.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Don't get me wrong, I always used to as well but I find him frustrating these days.

At Benfica and Real Madrid, I thought he was excellent mate but I don't think it's a signing in the right direction anymore.

Who would you go with? Would you overpay for Coutinho??? Or is there another that fits the bill?

Di María is wasted and old news. He is nowhere near what he was by a long margin. Infact too much is made of his time at Madrid. He had many many seriously crap moments with fleeting world class instances.

People forget essily or are led by brandnames which also includes players.

If this signing happens, this is enough (coupled with Paulinho) to show this board's desperation. It's all wrong! It's NOTHING whatsoever to do with what the club is about. For that, play the youth players and ride out their formation and evolution.