talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unai Emery is the new Arsenal head coach

The next Arsenal head coach  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next Arsenal coach?

• Massimiliano Allegri
    • Mikel Arteta
    • Unai Emery
    • Luis Enrique
    • Diego Simeone
    • Patrick Vieira
    • Thierry Henry
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Eduardo Berizzo
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Dennis Bergkamp
    • Lucien Favre
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Rafaél Benítez
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I think a guy like Sarri is a terrible fit to manage a team in England. Don´t get me wrong, I agree he´s a brilliant football mind, but man, his relationship with the press would bring a lot of turbulence to Arsenal.  

Unai Emery is a very good appointment. I think the experience in PSG will do a lot of good to him, that club is an absolute nightmare to coach and his poor french didn´t do him any favors. Hopefully he learns his lesson and use an interpreter. 

At PSG, hierarchy is not respected and he never had full confidence of the board. The most important players at the club know that at any sign of trouble they can speak directly to Nasser El-Khelaifi and simply ignore the coach´s authority. Given time and confidence to work, Emery can make Arsenal progress.

But Arsenal wanted to appoint Luis Enrique and trust me... Sarri is an amature when compared to Luis Enrique and his temperament with conspiracy theories on every single question the journalists are asking him. xD

For me Sarri's football at Napoli is the best in Europe when considering who he's coaching and their resources.  They are wonderful to watch.

14 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Talk to me about Juventus pre Allegri mate.  Let's start there before you make that type of a comment.

They had won seria a 3 seasons in a row before he came in

14 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The potential you see mate is very subjective because there hasn't been much achievement or any advancement whatsoever. With this I'm not saying all of our players are cripples in the footballing sense, but there are many that are overrated and I have no idea why.  Anyway, I don't want to get into a debate about our playing staff because this is solely about the coach taking over our now last manager.

You say plenty of coaches would of had this job!  Who mate?  What types of coaches and what names?  Are they bigger or of a more renowned name than Unai Emery?

Luis Enrique was definitely interviewed and it's very well known in Spain that he turned us down.  After that I have no idea what's real or not in other names that have been shuffled with a potential job on coaching Arsenal.

Who out there is bigger that was available or that we were able to attract?

You say in your post that part of the attraction is that we're based in London and that we pay millions!  Yes indeed, this IS the attraction because the job in hand isn't an enviable one to be honest.  With that I'm not saying we're a club that has no resources to advance and offer a modicum of tools to achieve this... But it definitely doesn't look easy and to be honest, if a coach were to come in after Wenger (be it whoever) and suddenly achieve something like a top three etc... Then all the more damnation for Wenger and the board that kept him on for so bloody long.

We have done very well indeed to get Emery.  I'm amazed to be honest.  More than I thought we were going to get.  I had refined myself to seeing Mikel Arteta as head coach next season and I can guarantee you that I wasn't going to be one showing dissent for obvious reasons.  This I wasn't expecting.  We're lucky... We should be doing a victory parade around Islington because we do them for most mundane things these days.  We have such an accepting London borough council to be honest.

This is only rumours on have heard but apparently Tuchel had interest and also Carlo Ancelotti was another who was interested. Two big names, also apparently up to 10 people were interviewed for the job.

Not saying were not the most attractive, but also it had to be someone who would fit into the club's new regime. Many 'big names' tend to be extremely demanding and I really don't think the club wanted another Wenger.

I think we just have varying views of Arsenal mate, but I can see where you're coming from. Arsenal for me is still an attractive job for many coaches.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm talking about what matters to a club like Juve. The European Cup.

Serial a matters as well. He has done well in Europe but hasn't won it yet. I never said he wasn't a good coach anyway.

6 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

This is only rumours on have heard but apparently Tuchel had interest and also Carlo Ancelotti was another who was interested. Two big names, also apparently up to 10 people were interviewed for the job.

Not saying were not the most attractive, but also it had to be someone who would fit into the club's new regime. Many 'big names' tend to be extremely demanding and I really don't think the club wanted another Wenger.

I think we just have varying views of Arsenal mate, but I can see where you're coming from. Arsenal for me is still an attractive job for many coaches.

I know mate, but they were only rumours.  The only concrete one known is Luis Enrique because that one has been whipped in the Spanish press and they knew his "NO" to Arsenal really quickly. 

My views on Arsenal aren't what you think they are because I know what we could (could've) be (been) and I'm always mentioning our resources. The hypothetical potential we have is based on that and very little else because new stadiums don't help you to win games, a city doesn't help you to compete against Europe's elite and money is only a tool which a top coach uses to be smart in what he actually does.

Anyway... One thing we're all going to agree on is that we hope for the best now that we know our proximate future.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Serial a matters as well. He has done well in Europe but hasn't won it yet. I never said he wasn't a good coach anyway.

It read like you was kind of belittling him or what he's seen as, that's why I quoted you mate. As things stand, he's a top coach isn't he?  Because any other argument and you have to substantiate it with a lot more than saying Serie 'A' is weak by comparison and then finally tell me Serie 'A' matters.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It read like you was kind of belittling him or what he's seen as, that's why I quoted you mate. As things stand, he's a top coach isn't he?  Because any other argument and you have to substantiate it with a lot more than saying Serie 'A' is weak by comparison and then finally tell me Serie 'A' matters.

I never said he wasn't  a top coach. I just said that winning seria a with juventus although a good achievment. Isn't  incredible. It's only football mate calm down you'll give yourself IBF

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I never said he wasn't  a top coach. I just said that winning seria a with juventus although a good achievment. Isn't  incredible. It's only football mate calm down you'll give yourself IBF

What makes you think I'm not calm mate! xD

Its only debate!  How are we going to debate something because if I agree with you, then where's the debate? :ph34r:

Just now, SirBalon said:

But Arsenal wanted to appoint Luis Enrique and trust me... Sarri is an amature when compared to Luis Enrique and his temperament with conspiracy theories on every single question the journalists are asking him. xD

For me Sarri's football at Napoli is the best in Europe when considering who he's coaching and their resources.  They are wonderful to watch.

Luis Enrique failed miserably at Roma where he had a decent team and resources to make the club progress after the americans bought the club from the Sensi family. In a similar situation to where Arsenal is. Honestly, I don´t think he´s a good coach. I have a lot of respect for him as a player, but he´s a very limited. And yes, Lucho´s monosyllabic and rude pressers certainly woudn´t sit well in England. xD

On Emery´s negatives, I´m not sure about his authority over players. It´s hard to judge if it was a fruit of PSG or if it´s a negative feature of him as a coach. For example, his long video sessions bored some players, rumours here in Brazil tell that Neymar complained about it to the board (xD)

Anyway,  guy who has very good ideas about footbal. You can see how smart he is, how much he loves football and how well he expresses himself (in spanish, obviously haha). I really like the fact he´s getting a crack in a big club. Plus, he likes Bielsa. xD:

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

What makes you think I'm not calm mate! xD

Its only debate!  How are we going to debate something because if I agree with you, then where's the debate? :ph34r:

Their wasn't a debate I asked a question. I wasn' debating anything 

29 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

They had won seria a 3 seasons in a row before he came in

Every year he loses some of his best players during the summer transfer window and yet, Allegri find different solutions.  Also, he took Juventus much further in Europe than Conte. 

Conte explaining his lack of success in Europe with Juventus once said: "You can´t eat in 100 euro restaurant with 10 euros." Well, Allegri ate a lot with the very same note. xD

12 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Luis Enrique failed miserably at Roma where he had a decent team and resources to make the club progress after the americans bought the club from the Sensi family. In a similar situation to where Arsenal is. Honestly, I don´t think he´s a good coach. I have a lot of respect for him as a player, but he´s a very limited. And yes, Lucho´s monosyllabic and rude pressers certainly woudn´t sit well in England. xD

On Emery´s negatives, I´m not sure about his authority over players. It´s hard to judge if it was a fruit of PSG or if it´s a negative feature of him as a coach. For example, his long video sessions bored some players, rumours here in Brazil tell that Neymar complained about it to the board (xD)

Anyway,  guy who has very good ideas about footbal. You can see how smart he is, how much he loves football and how well he expresses himself (in spanish, obviously haha). I really like the fact he´s getting a crack in a big club. Plus, he likes Bielsa. xD:

Well the long video sessions with the players and extra long talks is definitely Bielsanismo at its most concentrated form mate.xD

I don't know mate....  We could sit here debating who's good and who's not all night but all I do know or sense is that we didn't have much of a choice on names considering everything.  I wasn't expecting this appointment although had someone told me that we were in for him, I'd understand why.

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Their wasn't a debate I asked a question. I wasn' debating anything 

Yeah but I was on the end of your comments or are you trying to tell me I have to read your comments and aren't allowed to question them? :ph34r:

He's definitely not a bad choice. Might not be top tier right now but he has won competitions ahead of Liverpool and Tottenham with his Sevilla side so if we're going to say Emery's hopeless then that means Klopp and Pochettino aren't up to much yet they're both seen as "amazing" managers. Can't brag about the Europa League when it comes to teams that made it out the Champions League group stages the year Sevilla won it but can brag about it over all the other teams. He's on the second tier of managers with Klopp and Pochettino so I'm not too disappointed. Cautiously optimistic and realistic about what our immediate goals are.

6 hours ago, 6666 said:

He's definitely not a bad choice. Might not be top tier right now but he has won competitions ahead of Liverpool and Tottenham with his Sevilla side so if we're going to say Emery's hopeless then that means Klopp and Pochettino aren't up to much yet they're both seen as "amazing" managers. Can't brag about the Europa League when it comes to teams that made it out the Champions League group stages the year Sevilla won it but can brag about it over all the other teams. He's on the second tier of managers with Klopp and Pochettino so I'm not too disappointed. Cautiously optimistic and realistic about what our immediate goals are.

Not to forget he completely embarrassed Klopp in the Europa League final...

Arsenal wanted to appoint a managed to win the Europa league!     Also at the current moment, Arsenal are not a big club, like a good club to manage at the moment,  they are not in the champions league, needs some major changes in the team, also it seems that some coaches after meeting the Arsenal board are not happy to work with them.     Emery was probably the best thing left who was out of a job.

Looking at Emery's career he has only been poor at Spartak Moscow. Did brilliant work while in charge of 4 Spanish clubs and the PSG job is a weird one because no manager will get credit in that job. He's definitely a good manager. Would be ridiculous to write him off as a failure before he's even started.

16 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Looking at Emery's career he has only been poor at Spartak Moscow. Did brilliant work while in charge of 4 Spanish clubs and the PSG job is a weird one because no manager will get credit in that job. He's definitely a good manager. Would be ridiculous to write him off as a failure before he's even started.

A lot of his success is down to the brilliance of Monchi 

Still a better appointment than Arteta though. 

10 hours ago, Danny said:

A lot of talk about Arsenal's £50m but this article should clear most of that up...they're not limited to one £50m summer signing at all.

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsenals-50m-budget-explained/

I think most on here got that to be fair. It's only really the two manchester clubs and Chelsea who spend more than that net. Still a good article though

Archived