• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa América 2019 - Brazil

football forum

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/04/2017 at 3:07 PM, adziom said:

I can see an argument for a competition between North and South American nations but inviting Italy etc is a farce.

They should combine North and South America anyway if you ask me as sides like USA, Mexico and even Costa Rica would all offer plenty to the Copa America and it would benefit those nations themselves if they were playing in a far superior tournament.

3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They should combine North and South America anyway if you ask me as sides like USA, Mexico and even Costa Rica would all offer plenty to the Copa America and it would benefit those nations themselves if they were playing in a far superior tournament.

This. Scrape that Gold Cup nonsense. Always a pisstake how Mexico always has to send a weaker side to the Copa when their A team is playing in the Gold Cup

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

This. Scrape that Gold Cup nonsense. Always a pisstake how Mexico always has to send a weaker side to the Copa when their A team is playing in the Gold Cup

Some of these Mexican sides over the years have had the talent there to go all the way as well.

Why are so many people in support of merging the confederations? Have people forgotten that North America is a completely different continent? The World Cup isn't about having the best teams. It's an event to celebrate diversity and culture around the world. The only CONCACAF side who would qualify is Mexico, otherwise it completely defeats the purpose of a World Cup. 

4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Why are so many people in support of merging the confederations? Have people forgotten that North America is a completely different continent? The World Cup isn't about having the best teams. It's an event to celebrate diversity and culture around the world. The only CONCACAF side who would qualify is Mexico, otherwise it completely defeats the purpose of a World Cup. 

Copa America. North America. South America. It sort of makes sense and should be the way to do it. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Copa America. North America. South America. It sort of makes sense and should be the way to do it. 

I'm still against the idea but I definitely prefer that idea over this current one that's inviting nations from Asia and Europe.

The qualifiers need to be kept separate though.

1 hour ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'm still against the idea but I definitely prefer that idea over this current one that's inviting nations from Asia and Europe.

The qualifiers need to be kept separate though.

When have European countries played in the Copa América?

As far as I know they've never played in it at all.  They have been invited and infact the CONMEBOL have invited the European latin countries of Spain, Italy, Portugal and France this year for the next tournament and they've all declined.

Spain I know has been invited on three separate occasions before this new one and in all three occasions said no.  The CONMEBOL even offered Spain (in 2011) to make a new version of the Copa América where Spain would become a permanent feature in the tournament and again declined.  Infact the closest a European country has ever come close to participating was infect Spain under the rule of the dictator General Franco, but failed to persuade many of the players at the time who were all on the main anti regime.

They haven't played in it. They WANT to invite them, which brings me back to the OP where I said inviting 6 can be a task. For the good of football I hope they decline.

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

They haven't played in it. They WANT to invite them, which brings me back to the OP where I said inviting 6 can be a task. For the good of football I hope they decline.

They've invited them tons of times...  They were inviting them when your parents weren't even a thought in the minds of your grandparents.

What does it matter who they invite when what they want is to make the tournament grow.  One thing is the ridiculous expansion of the European Championship which wasn't needed and has infact made it weaker and ridiculous.  But this idea of an expanded Copa América sounds good to me and will provide quality.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

They've invited them tons of times...  They were inviting them when your parents weren't even a thought in the minds of your grandparents.

What does it matter who they invite when what they want is to make the tournament grow.  One thing is the ridiculous expansion of the European Championship which wasn't needed and has infact made it weaker and ridiculous.  But this idea of an expanded Copa América sounds good to me and will provide quality.

Maybe it will provide quality but I'm not looking for that. I want the Copa America to be a South American only Cup. I can accept having North American teams in it but that's it.

i can understand adding those 2 teams to make it 12 but there was literally no need to expand it.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Maybe it will provide quality but I'm not looking for that. I want the Copa America to be a South American only Cup. I can accept having North American teams in it but that's it.

i can understand adding those 2 teams to make it 12 but there was literally no need to expand it.

The joke is UEFA's European Championships which has been destroyed forever because of the tv companies and marketing. We had Albania qualify for the last edition under the expansion and they've never even been close to qualifying!  It's made the football more conservative as we saw in that edition and it won't change because by being so, you make certain of getting to the knock-out stages where again you'll probably meet a minnow.  It's rubbish and annuls entertainment in what was once (in my opinion) the elite international tournament in football.  It was the hardest competition to win because of the nations that qualified!

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The joke is UEFA's European Championships which has been destroyed forever because of the tv companies and marketing. We had Albania qualify for the last edition under the expansion and they've never even been close to qualifying!  It's made the football more conservative as we saw in that edition and it won't change because by being so, you make certain of getting to the knock-out stages where again you'll probably meet a minnow.  It's rubbish and annuls entertainment in what was once (in my opinion) the elite international tournament in football.  It was the hardest competition to win because of the nations that qualified!

I agree with everything in this post but the Copa America and European championship expansions are totally incomparable. 1 had an unnecessary expansion that's made bad teams qualify and be conservative to not get embarrassed making the tournament dull, the other had an unnecessary expansion that's killed off the purpose and charm of the cup in a 10 country continent anyways.

• 10 months later...

Seem to also be rumours of after the 2019 version, they will expand to a twenty team tournament with teams from Concacaf making up the other ten.

Having a tournament with sixteen teams, like the centenary tournament, is the best way to have a tournament. None of this 'best third place team's nonsense that happens at the Euros.

Why don't they just have the ten South American teams and the six Concacaf teams that made it through to the last round of World Cup qualifying. Seems a simple solution to me.

Including teams from Asia is ridiculous, it's worse than Israel playing the Euros. They should just unify both the Conmebol and Concacaf, problem is the distances, they are much larger than in Europe (they already are at the Conmebol qualifiers mostly too).

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Seem to also be rumours of after the 2019 version, they will expand to a twenty team tournament with teams from Concacaf making up the other ten.

Having a tournament with sixteen teams, like the centenary tournament, is the best way to have a tournament. None of this 'best third place team's nonsense that happens at the Euros.

Why don't they just have the ten South American teams and the six Concacaf teams that made it through to the last round of World Cup qualifying. Seems a simple solution to me.

as expected - CHINA !!!!     and that fucking attention-grabber Qatar.

if they were able to change the format, then it's easy for them to change the name of the tournament to make it more suitable.

oh well ... as cindy lauper sang --------

Expanding South and North America to create a larger tournament would make sense. Inviting Qatar and China doesn't.

If you must invite non-American nations then atleast invite Spain, Italy and Portugal, for obvious reasons, instead. The problem there though, is that these would actually have a chance of winning it and this isn't what the "higher ups" want. The nations they invite are simply to make up the numbers.

So what happens if a non-American team wins the Copa America. Do they defend their title in the next Copa America and does that take up one of the invited nations slots? I like the idea of Japan being the South American champions.

I would be fine if it was 6 CONCACAF teams to be honest, and this is coming from someone who's against merging the 2 confederations.

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Canada. That would be totally fine in my eyes. Sure, the Copa America is historically a South American tournament, but adding CONCACAF teams wouldn't kill the tournament completely as it would still make sense, especially from a South American point of view. Adding Asian teams is different though.

However, I would like to say this: while I completely disagree with inviting Asian teams as its completely counter productive and have nothing to do with the tournament, they have been in it before. Japan was in the 1999 tournament and were going to be in 2011 but didn't go due to the earthquake and tsunami issues they were having. 2 teams had to be invited to make it a 3 group thing (which is the way I like it best) but I would rather it be Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras or Panama. Also, no carribean nations please. Just keep it to the mainground.

Archived