talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Belgium 3-2 Japan

football forum

We needed a decent comeback story, even if it was the wrong way round in terms of the fairytale. Japan were superb but what was that at the end, I love the positivity but you just see that out to extra time.

Hope Belgium v Brazil is a good one, also a decent fight with Neymar and Courtois both dismissed would be nice.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Venezuela are a decent side that can give Japan a good game, but I agree either way. They don't get the benefit of playing in a good continent so they struggle to move up the ranks. Beating Syria or Uzbekistan doesn't get you points unfortunately. They need to do it here or in friendlies.

Venezuela potentially have a bright future to be honest. It'd be good to see them reach the next World Cup, although it won't be easy to overcome the South American qualifiers  as even Argentina nearlybdidn't make it last time, with current South American Champions Chile not making it at all. 

This would have been a greater shame if happened on the other side of the draw, but since Belgium will have to beat Brazil and France/Uruguay to get to the final against Russia then they're going to have to prove themselves properly.

I didnt want to post anything about Japan because I thought I would jinx it but since they are out ill reply now.

I picked them as my team for this world cup and im very happy with how they have performed. Even with two goal lead I wasnt sure they would win it today as Belgium's talent was way too much and after they scored the first goal I knew japan will be out as the momentum shifted. Great team and great performance by them. Until next time Japan  :drunk:

As we say in Portuguese, Japan 'morreu na praia (literal translation is died at the beach)'.

This was a superb football match, despite not ending the way most people wanted.

Brazil vs Belgium will be a cracker.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Belgium need to ditch the 3 at the back. Willian and Neymar will exploit the space their wing backs leave.

Start a back 4 and include Fellaini in the midfield. 

Lukaku

Hazard-----KDB-----Mertens

Witsel---Fellaini

Vertonghen---Kompany---Alderweireld--Muenir

Courtois 

I wouldn't expect Martinez to see something that everyone else can see tbh.

Another great match. What he we done to deserve this World Cup? The football gods have absolutely blessed us.

Fair play to Japan. They have given everything and surprised a lot of people myself included. I was surprised how quick they were going forwards at time this tournament.

As for Belgium, fair play to them for showing real character to get back in to that game. The Belgium two years ago would have folded. They have a real big test next time round but it makes a fascinating match.

17 hours ago, Stan said:

The irony that the best thing Lukaku did all game was not touch the ball for that goal.

It was great work. The whole counter. He went wide to draw the defender away from meunier and then let it run to chadli. Absolute class. 

Feel for Japan though. Despite their quality and attractive style of play they've always lacked belief and this win could have totally transformed their psyche going forwards... 

17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I really really wanted Japan to beat Belgium but they only have themselves to blame with hindsight.

How can you take a corner like that wit 20 seconds of injury time remaining??? Short corner for god’s sake! Play for time and go for the 30 minutes!!! Innocent!!!

That's what Russia would do... i admire japan for going for it. 

Last minute corner. Great chance to win the match. Show some stones.

I hope they don't regret that. Its how football should be played. . 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived