talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Belgium 3-2 Japan

football forum

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic game it has to be said... So unlucky Japan, played as well as they could I thought, gave Belgium a proper fright.. Cruel to go down at the death but what a game that was... 

Credit to Belgium for clawing it all back as they looked devoid of ideas after going 2-0 down.. 

Just now, Cicero said:

The hell are people upset for? As if this Japan side will beat Brasil. 

I like Japan, and they play some great football, but I am sincerely hoping this Belgium side knock the fuck out of Neymar and Brazil. No Offence @El Profesor

I think Underdog. 

I didn't particularly care for this Japanese team, though they played really well tonight. 

Glad Belgium are going through.

I really really wanted Japan to beat Belgium but they only have themselves to blame with hindsight.

How can you take a corner like that wit 20 seconds of injury time remaining??? Short corner for god’s sake! Play for time and go for the 30 minutes!!! Innocent!!!

Fellaini is having a super World Cup, surely warrants a start vs Brazil? Then again he is such a super impact sub. Chadli gave them a lot more balance, they cannot run that same starting team vs Brazil they would get taken apart.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I like Japan, and they play some great football, but I am sincerely hoping this Belgium side knock the fuck out of Neymar and Brazil. No Offence @El Profesor

Btw your signature is fantastic

Just now, SirBalon said:

I really really wanted Japan to beat Belgium but they only have themselves to blame with hindsight.

How can you take a corner like that wit 20 seconds of injury time remaining??? Short corner for god’s sake! Play for time and go for the 30 minutes!!! Innocent!!!

Japan and Mexico lost in their traditional way tonight.

Mexico lost playing as well as they could, and losing it. Japan lost it by being leightweight and innocent. Sounds all too familiar to me.

• Subscriber

Fuck off Belgium you absolute bastards. Would have been better for Japan to just get twatted than lose in that manner.

Everyone who thinks Martinez is a remotely competent manager can go and play in traffic too. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

because that's not the barometer for feeling upset xD 

12 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It is if you're Japan as they are all a similar level overall, the difference being that they have less stars and difference makers than those teams. To get out of that group and then nearly beat(or maybe even defeat) one of the most talented sides in the tournament is something they should be proud of. At the same time though they will be disappointed if they go out after going 2-0 ahead and looking as if they were flying. 

Poland - 8th (Laughably overrated)
Colombia - 16th
Senegal - 27th

It's the world cup, and to me, this might have been the weakest World Cup group out of them all.

Belgium need to ditch the 3 at the back. Willian and Neymar will exploit the space their wing backs leave.

Start a back 4 and include Fellaini in the midfield. 

Lukaku

Hazard-----KDB-----Mertens

Witsel---Fellaini

Vertonghen---Kompany---Alderweireld--Muenir

Courtois 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Poland - 8th (Laughably overrated)
Colombia - 16th

Japan - 61st, below Venezuela and Bolivia and only just above Honduras. 

The Fifa rankings are a joke either way. But if you went off them, it would further prove my point since Colombia and Poland are top 20.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No offence taken. :twothumbsup:

Martínez subs worked there and I wonder if he´ll start both Fellaini and Chadli against Brazil. Starting Carrasco against Brazil is suicide. 

Belgium have a lot of quaility upfront, but they also showed a very slow transition and massive defensive problems at both flanks.  Neymar, Marcelo and Coutinho in the Meunier side could pose a problem to Belgium. It´ll be interesting to see what Martínez does. Will he give the ball to Brazil and use the counters as a form to mask his team´s defensive problems?

On the other hand, we also need a more conservative midfield formation. Paulinho can´t start this match. If Tite decided to start Fred and Firmino I´d be a lot more confident than I am. Belgium has the firepower to beat anyone.

As for Japan, they did great. Kagawa is the MOTM in my opinion, he was amazing. I hope Philippe Coutinho will have as much space as Kagawa had today. :D

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The Fifa rankings are a joke either way. But if you went off them, it would further prove my point since Colombia and Poland are top 20.

We'll see how Colombia does tomorrow, but it would surprise me at all if they get zero teams into the next round, which is what I'm thinking in terms of difficult in the group. 

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

first half I think they were a bit too cautious, maybe nervous to begin with.

second half vastly improved and took the game to Belgium more, as if they realised they should have no fear and not show them too much respect. 

It's been a good game overall.

This is football my friends.

Credit Japan.

3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Venezuela are a decent side that can give Japan a good game, but I agree either way. They don't get the benefit of playing in a good continent so they struggle to move up the ranks. Beating Syria or Uzbekistan doesn't get you points unfortunately. They need to do it here or in friendlies.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived