talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Colombia 1-1(p) England

football forum

I can't link the tweet as I'm on mobile but apparently 170K people have signed a petition to have the game reviewed, just like in 2014 when a Colombian lawyer tried to sue FIFA when they got knocked out.

Its like we always say here in Peru, never argue with Colombians about football. You won't get anywhere!

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

This WC proved (Not that teso needed confirmation) that the conmebol is Brazil  + the rest. Very average performances and tbh, the other conmebol teams would have a hard time qualifying if they were in Europe. Maybe Uruguay and Argentina but that's it. 

Forget the fact that 14/16 teams got passed the group stages in the last 3 tournaments with 7 quarter finalists consisting of Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia.

Only thing it proved is that South Americans struggle on European soil but a team like Venezuela is still comfortably better than a quarter of European teams. 

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

Only thing it proved is that South Americans struggle on European soil but a team like Venezuela is still comfortably better than a quarter of European teams. 

Why is this a thing in this era? South American teams are full of European based players. 

11 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Maradona has always been politically driven as you well know mate. The problem is that he’s not a very intelligent individual and the way his political ideologies have manifested themselves has always shown him up for the mafiosi tendencies he has ingrained into his character.

Everyone that knows me outside this forum and even here in this community know what I think about Diego Armando Maradona the footballer... For me personally the best ever (I have my reasons), but the human being, the man we’re left with is a total mess, a charlatan and a mentallly driven personality with criminal tendencies... The problem is, that with his attempts at being a criminal it’s where he’s shown himself up as being very stupid. Curious how he’s also always mixed both in politics and socially with the worst scum one could hand pick. 

I know he´s always been politically driven and I disagree with you when you say he´s not a very intelligent individual. He may not be a cultured person, but instinctively he´s a very intelligent guy. And this is why it disapppoints me, Diego is very smart.

My problem is with the moral corruption and hypocrisy. How can you talk about ethics when you´re being paid thousands of dollars from a government that is starving its own citizens? I´m sure you know how bad it´s in Venezuela right now. He can use the "blame the gringos" strategy all he wants, it won´t change the fact he´s taking money from Nicolás Maduro and he should be criticized for it. 

Just now, Harvsky said:

Why is this a thing in this era? South American teams are full of European players. 

Its an irrelevant point to be honest mate, but its weird everytime we come to Europe we struggle.

Look at 2006. 4 European semi-finalists. Sure the last 2 European world cups before 06 had South American finalists but normally they do historically struggle in UEFA based world cups. We often do well in every other continent.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Paraguay is an after thought and Colombia just got eliminated by an average England...so that leaves Brazil Uruguay and Argentina :bye: and Chile will be back. Venezuela, Peru,  and the rest of the pack are in the same bracket as Greece, Iceland, and Wales.  Slightly above Scotland 

European soil? What about the 7 goal ass whooping Brazil received? Were was that game at ? 

Colombia playing terrible football nearly beat England, I don't agree with Colombians on the game but I do agree that they could have easily outplayed them if they chose the right lineup, instead of playing too conservative.

We haven't had a good world cup by our standards but our worst teams bar Bolivia can still comfortably smash 2nd tier Europeans. I'm not even using stats mind you, I've seen some of those games and they are utter gash. Teams like Slovakia, Greece, Bosnia, Slovenia, Ireland. Even the USA are better than them. Venezuela on the other hand are not the best team but they have a much higher standard than the ones I've mentioned. If they were in Serbia's group we'd be seeing them in Russia now.

You say Paraguay is an afterthought, which is true but it really shows how much smaller South American teams can do when no one is expecting it, because realistically most are better than a quarter of European sides.

Also, Chile won't be back for another decade or 2. They have no young talent playing in their domestic league and some of their U23's are gash. They're on route to become what we were in 2010. Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina,Brazil are going to be the favourites to qualify as they've got actual processes going on.

21 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I know he´s always been politically driven and I disagree with you when you say he´s not a very intelligent individual. He may not be a cultured person, but instinctively he´s a very intelligent guy. And this is why it disapppoints me, Diego is very smart.

My problem is with the moral corruption and hypocrisy. How can you talk about ethics when you´re being paid thousands of dollars from a government that is starving its own citizens? I´m sure you know how bad it´s in Venezuela right now. He can use the "blame the gringos" strategy all he wants, it won´t change the fact he´s taking money from Nicolás Maduro and he should be criticized for it. 

Why do you think he’s intelligent mate?

I say this with all honesty becauae if I bring up a massive list of what I categorise as stupidity with Maradona, where do we stand?

Where’s the thin line between being uncultured and either ignorant or thick. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

This is a joke right?

I want to believe you’re making an exaggerated point

I've seen all 3 teams and they are all gash.

Maybe I was being slightly harsh on Bosnia as they have some decent players but the former 2 are terrible. 

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

Colombia playing terrible football nearly beat England, I don't agree with Colombians on the game but I do agree that they could have easily outplayed them if they chose the right lineup, instead of playing too conservative.

That's one way of looking at it, but you could say it is because of their conservative approach that they were able to stay in the game. We will never know but I don't think you can rule out that England have the type of players who would open a team up who doesn't stay compact. 

Just now, Harvsky said:

That's one way of looking at it, but you could say it is because of their conservative approach that they were able to stay in the game. We will never know but I don't think you can rule out that England have the type of players who would open a team up who doesn't stay compact. 

I don't agree to be honest mate, Colombia improved in the game and were outplaying England when Matheus Uribe came on. I'm not saying England aren't good enough, they were but I'm basing it on what I saw between the 70th minute to the 105th. In that second extra time, you were the better side though.

Its all what ifs though, not that it matters but I'm arguing that Pekerman lost the game by showing too much respect to England and it showed when he made second half changes.

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't agree to be honest mate, Colombia improved in the game and were outplaying England when Matheus Uribe came on. I'm not saying England aren't good enough, they were but I'm basing it on what I saw between the 70th minute to the 105th. In that second extra time, you were the better side though.

Its all what ifs though, not that it matters but I'm arguing that Pekerman lost the game by showing too much respect to England and it showed when he made second half changes.

2 minutes after Uribe came on Eric Dier came on and England went to a protective mode changing tactics to just see out the last 10 minutes so of course Colombia had more of it then. They would have even if Uribe didn't come on.

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

2 minutes after Uribe came on Eric Dier came on and England went to a protective mode changing tactics to just see out the last 10 minutes so of course Colombia had more of it then. They would have even if Uribe didn't come on.

That's true but I still think Pekerman threw it away. Colombia's only strong side is their defense in my opinion. Without James they are often toothless.

Its a shame really, they were excellent in 2014.

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

His whole argument is a joke tbh...

using Paraguay and "European soil" highlight how weak his counterpoints really are... instead of looking at the current WC results and admitting being wrong, he continues with the "I saw this team play and they are gash" 

Judgement is the best way to form opinions, im sorry i don't use silly stats like you (actually i did and you still don't listen xD)

Europe 15 - 15 South America

head to head points in this World Cup between the 2.

I literally just counted, and they have even points between each other. Maybe I should look at results this World Cup and admit I'm wrong because Europe is "dominating us"

keep in mind I do think Europe is the best continent, but if South America is average I don't want to know where the rest of the world is at.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Looks at the pre-wc threads, yeah your judgement....HOW MANY EUROPEAN TEAMS ARE LEFT AND HOW MANY SOUTH AMERICAN? you claim you watch games but when it matters, the teams you overrate so much were disappointing. Take the L and move on. 

We have 5. They have 13. It's hardly a surprise they have more left at the moment.

And I didn't overrate any of these teams, I've spent the past year arguing how shit Colombia and Argentina are actually.

We underperformed, but it was our first World Cup in 36 years so I can excuse it.

"average" South America had 4/5 sides get past the group stage and are tied with Europe on head to head.

2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Group points and head to head points are irrelevant! Like teso said from the get-go, Brazil is way above the rest of the conmebol and it's the only one (maybe Uruguay proves me wrong) conmebol team that can fairly compete with the top European nations.

Could Peru, Venezuela, Paraguay, or Bolivia defeat Belgium or England? Absolutely not, like I said, those teams are in the same bracket as Greece, Wales, and Iceland. 

Every time I make a point, even if it's a fact that apirimises the situation, you don't want to accept it. That is why half the forum can't take you seriously. If you don't want to trust my judgement that is up to you, but I just find it contradictory to say that South America is average, tell me to look at the WC result, do that and see they are even, then you twist your argument more. It's only irrelevant when you say it is so? 

Sorry to break it to you but your beloved concacaf is below even Asia. The only continent that even comes close to Europe is South America I'm afraid,.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Boys, boys, boys. You just know how much I love these petty squabble regarding Peru, South America and England. Almost as much as I love putting my dick in a blender.

Please keep it on topic or invest in a PM. X

You like putting your dick in a blender?

(in seriousness, I'm enjoying myself. Just the twists in arguments gives me a laugh, nothing heated here Phil. I appreciate your work though, so I'll listen to you :) )

29 minutes ago, Blue said:

That's true but I still think Pekerman threw it away. Colombia's only strong side is their defense in my opinion. Without James they are often toothless.

Its a shame really, they were excellent in 2014.

Oh I'm not saying he shouldn't be looked at, Colombia were useless for 75 minutes and made Paul Merson look like he has a PhD in football (see graph below of danger level of attack throughout the game). I just think that the general approach might not have been that far off what was required. James Rodrigues really might have been enough to have Colombia actually put together some attacking phases.

Screenshot_20180705-181341.png

Archived