talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liga MX - México

football forum

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ruidiaz' record will probably not be beaten in my lifetime. He's become a club icon. Sandoval and Avila have both been doing well though and I hope they do that again today.

What record do you speak of?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

What record do you speak of?

Maybe I used the wrong word, there isn't technically a "record". Ruidiaz though is one of the all time top scorers of Morelia, and I can't see any Peruvian even getting to half of what he scored. The chances of that are so slim.

They need to buy a Peruvian forward firstly, and keep him long enough to score 40+ goals. I can't see it, especially given Raul is a very different Peruvian striker. He's a goalscorer, not a technical master.

Right now they have 2 Peruvian forwards. Sandoval who is good but probably won't score 40 goals, and Irven Avila who is at his peak. He's good for Monarcas but not any better than that. Ruidiaz could have easily played for a top MX team, I can't say the same for Avila.

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

Maybe I used the wrong word, there isn't technically a "record". Ruidiaz though is one of the all time top scorers of Morelia, and I can't see any Peruvian even getting to half of what he scored. The chances of that are so slim.

They need to buy a Peruvian forward firstly, and keep him long enough to score 40+ goals. I can't see it, especially given Raul is a very different Peruvian striker. He's a goalscorer, not a technical master.

Right now they have 2 Peruvian forwards. Sandoval who is good but probably won't score 40 goals, and Irven Avila who is at his peak. He's good for Monarcas but not any better than that. Ruidiaz could have easily played for a top MX team, I can't say the same for Avila.

Oh okay. haha, I was like surely Ruidiaz isn't the leading scorer in Mexican league at just 40 goals. 

1c6e4ec4cb0177a109959e8e38933b55.png

Here is the table thus far. My team Morelia had a chance to go joint top last night but Pachuca got a late equalizer and we'll have to settle for 11 points. 

Right now Ray Sandoval and Diego Valdes are playing very well, as is Gabriel Achillier. 2 usual suspects (Achillier and Valdes) and a new performer (Sandoval). 

Saw a bit of Leon vs Club America last night. The home team was comfortable. Although they didn't run America over, they really didn't struggle too much in getting the win. Las Aguilas really didn't attack a whole lot.

Cruz Azul beat Toluca last night with a Cauteruccio goal, while Veracruz and Lobos lost to the 2 Monterrey teams (Tigres and Rayados). Veracruz smashed against Tigres (4-0) and Lobos with a last minute losing goal. (2-1)

Edison Flores close to moving to Monarcas. Oh Morelia how you love your Peruvian players :x

I'm not sure how I feel about this move to be honest. I'm a Monarcas fan and I would love to see him play there. However, I'm also thinking as a Peruvian. What happens to Ray Sandoval, who has been so good?

Regardless, you don't have to play in Europe to be a great. I don't mind him leaving the continent to be honest.

This Atlas vs Chivas game has been very physical. The home team started ontop but Guadalajara has gotten back into it.

Lots of misplaced passes and Atlas are trying to break a goal hoodoo. Think they are 700 minutes without scoring?

As I type that, what a save from Hernandez on Chofis!

Its official.

I really like this move. Monarcas are a strong club in Mexico and someone like Flores could really push them to the next level. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

FOUR STRAIGHT FINALS  B| complete domination of the concachampions 10+ years and still counting, it's obvious one league is still miles ahead of the other. 

Nah, it really isn't.

The Liga MX is still better, I'll give you that, but its not "miles ahead" like you think it is given the MLS teams are actually standing up now, something they couldn't do before.

6 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Standing up? When was the last time an MLS team won a concacaf tourney ? 

I sometimes do wonder how you interpret certain posts to be completely different than they are.

5 years ago, MLS teams would instantly roll over against Mexican sides. Now, they actually know how to get results against them. Sure they don't have the trophy at hand yet, but its nowhere near as bad as the situation about 5 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Club America 3-2 Tigres. A crucial away win for Club America.

Benitez ex-assistant Pako Ayestaran is doing a great job with Pachuca. @SirBalon much better coach than Jemez imo 

Paco is more methodical than Jémez and there is something more important where Paco Jémez has messed up what looked to be a promising career back in his Rayo days which is his big headedness and not leaving room for advice. Even the greatest coaches in history have surrounded themselves with people that can help them cope with everything. 

I think this is bad news for MLS sides if this happens. I actually agree with @Teso dos Bichos here - Liga MX is much better. Unless they scrap relegation for Mexican sides, which I think is an awful idea, I don't really know how this would work out.

In effect though, this would give San Diego the MLS team that it's been wanting... as right now I (and a lot of other people) support Los Xolos as my new local side, because Tijuana is so damn close and getting in and out of Mexico is pretty easy. I make it down for a few matches a year, but this news might make Measure E (to tear down the old Chargers stadium and begin work for a San Diego MLS stadium) not worth it to the SD voters.

I, however, am very against a merger of the MLS and Liga MX. Liga MX is, imo, a much higher standard.

On 10/10/2018 at 22:29, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think this is bad news for MLS sides if this happens. I actually agree with @Teso dos Bichos here - Liga MX is much better. Unless they scrap relegation for Mexican sides, which I think is an awful idea, I don't really know how this would work out.

In effect though, this would give San Diego the MLS team that it's been wanting... as right now I (and a lot of other people) support Los Xolos as my new local side, because Tijuana is so damn close and getting in and out of Mexico is pretty easy. I make it down for a few matches a year, but this news might make Measure E (to tear down the old Chargers stadium and begin work for a San Diego MLS stadium) not worth it to the SD voters.

I, however, am very against a merger of the MLS and Liga MX. Liga MX is, imo, a much higher standard.

I think it's shit that leagues like the MLS, Chinese super league and even the Australian A league are broadcast on British tv but ligaMX isn't 

18 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think it's shit that leagues like the MLS, Chinese super league and even the Australian A league are broadcast on British tv but ligaMX isn't 

MLS and the A League are shown because the coverage is done in English. Sky Sports and BT Sport don't have to do anything but broadcast it. 

Just really cheap to fill broadcast time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I've been watching this league since young and I can assure you, NO ONE gives a proper damn about those results. Only those who want to justify not winning a trophy give a fuck :rofl: soy americanista pendejo, titles or bust !! 

All the false rumours to bigger teams should be a hint that Ruidíaz wasn't good enough but I'm wasting my time on someone who believed Peru was going to be in the QFs and then milks an average group performance :rofl: que lastima , no wonder Chileans mistreat their lil sister Peru. They celebrate mediocrities deep South 

Can you qualify these comments please, Teso. 

• Subscriber

Why is Mexico's Azteca Stadium in such poor condition?

14 November 2018| Football

_104347333_gettyimages-1065971950.jpg

The Azteca Stadium is in its worst condition since it was inaugurated in 1966

Pele and Maradona - to some, the two best footballers of all time - scored memorable goals and lifted the World Cup there.

It hosted what Fifa has called the 'Game of the Century' - Italy's 4-3 victory over West Germany in the 1970 World Cup semi-finals.

And it will be among the venues for the US-Mexico-Canada World Cup in 2026.

But the Azteca Stadium is currently going through one of its most challenging periods to date.

The NFL game between the Los Angeles Rams and Kansas City Chiefs, which had been scheduled for 19 November, was relocated to LA due to the poor turf conditions.

And the Mexico City ground has gone through several phases of remodeling that have left one of the world's most historic stadiums in serious trouble.

"Today it is not the most important stadium in Mexico - and it should always be," sports analyst Gustavo Velazquez told BBC Mundo.

"We have seen the changes that this stadium has been through and it seems that they have been for the worse, not for the better. It has never been as bad as this."

There are four main reasons why this has happened:

_104300364_gettyimages-542926353.jpg

The Azteca Stadium was one of the largest in the world, with the capacity to hold over 100,000 people when it was first built

1) The pitch

The most obvious problem is the pitch, which was changed in its entirety in the summer from natural grass to a hybrid pitch.

Those who attended last Saturday's Mexican league game saw the pitch in possibly its worst ever condition.

"The field at Estadio Azteca does not meet NFL standards to be played and its consistency would not meet those standards next Monday," the NFL said in a statement.

Enio Cubillo, an architect from Turf Managers Special (TMS), was in charge of the installation of the new pitch - a job that was completed on 20 July, a day before the Mexican league began.

"There was a change in the dates [of installation] and, since we already had the grass planted in the nursery, we had to make the transfer," Cubillo explained.

By September, it was clear that the pitch had failed to adapt to the hybrid grass and fans were calling it a "paddock".

_104300374_gettyimages-1065957780.jpg

Both players and coaches have complained about the state of the pitch

However, stadium analysts say that the Azteca has never had a problem with its grass before. Frequent Azteca visitor Gustavo Velazquez described the current situation as "alarming".

_104306343_gettyimages-1065957490.jpg

The hybrid grass has had problems embedding itself in the pitch

TMS finalized its contract last month, so Velasquez is certain that the current problems are the responsibility of the new administration.

Cubillo says that his job was only to install the irrigation system for the hybrid pitch and to put sand underneath, but not to perform the current maintenance.

2) The concerts

Unlike last season, the Azteca is now home to two teams - so there are games every week instead of every 14 days, as was the way previously.

In addition, the stadium was the venue for a massive concert by Colombian singer Shakira in October - as well as one put on by the TeleHit music channel in early November, which left the pitch damaged.

_104300376_gettyimages-1051930696.jpg

Shakira's concert added to the problems

The Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA), based in the US, believes part of the problem is the constant wear and tear of the field, in addition to possible drainage problems.

"There has been event after event that has not allowed the field to have a rest," Kim Heck, executive director of STMA, said.

And it is only likely to get worse - the finals of Liga MX will see Azteca's two home teams play back-to-back the first weekend of December.

3) The grandstands

But the historic stadium also faces other problems of redesign and functionality that, in the opinion of some fans and commentators, have removed the majesty from the work of the great architect, Pedro Ramirez Vazquez.

"100,000 people shouted, and there was born the Azteca" is the famous myth about the creation of the stadium - though various renovations have since reduced its capacity to about 85,000.

The biggest change was made in 2016 when several sections of the stands were redesigned to create VIP roofed areas - criticized by analysts including Velazquez.

"Once teams went out on the field and saw the whole stadium imposed on them in a brutal way - it now seems like they are entering a commercial zone," he said.

"It no longer gives any advantage to the home team."

One of the reforms impacted the visibility from one of the two main stands along the pitch, with metal structures now largely limiting the visibility of the field.

Meanwhile, access to the larger stands with more capacity was cut off, so fans now have to walk around many rows of seats inside to find their place.

The administration of the Azteca Stadium promised last year that there would be "a couple more access points that will meet the capacity of the upper central part of the stadium" after BBC Mundo questioned them about possible security problems in cases of evacuation.

But limited visibility is a problem that remains unresolved.

4) The logistics

Meanwhile, other problems that have never been properly resolved continue to mount.

The stadium only has space for about 4,000 vehicles in its car park, which is insufficient.

_104300380_gettyimages-876419088.jpg

The covered VIP stands reduced the capacity of the stadium, which was no longer among the top places in the world in terms of capacity

And even if a driver finds a space, they still have challenges - there are "caretakers" of vehicles that ask for their own fee to monitor the vehicles of the customers at an additional charge to the regular rate.

"If you do not give them a tip, your car ends up being scratched or blocked," said Velazquez.

In addition, the esplanade of the building - a private space belonging to the Azteca Stadium - is used by informal merchants of T-shirts, food and alcoholic beverages that make access difficult.

"A stadium so big - an architectural project of the 1960s - would have to undergo modifications to adapt to the times, but they have not done it in the right way," added Velazquez.

"Those of us who love the Estadio Azteca and have experienced this metamorphosis do not like it at all."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46138022

• The topic was unpinned

Archived