talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Barcelona and Juventus got punished for doing the same type of deal. 

They can't prove that's what we're doing. It's not for them to decide what two relatively inexperienced squad players might be worth based on their potential.

If Chelsea are involved then it'll just be allowed to slide won't it.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Looks like we're doing a dirty deal with Aston Villa to help both clubs skirt the corrupt PSR rules. If you can't beat them, join them.

Essentially, if you sell a player for a low initial fee with add-ons, you can count the full value of the sale toward your incomings, but the buying club only has to count the initial fee paid in their outgoings. 

So Aston Villa are selling us Tim Irogbaneam and we're selling them Lewis Dobbin. Both deals will have low down-payments and nice sized add-ons later. Both clubs have their PSR position improved by swapping a pair of squad players over.

Looks like Chelsea and Aston Villa might actually be doing something similar with Maatsen and Duran.

About time we started playing a bit dirty after last season instead of just accepting our fate and letting Man Utd low-ball us for Branthwaite.

It's sad to see what you've become.

• Subscriber

To be clear, this isn't just a case of two clubs taking "creative accounting" to the extreme. Everton have a genuine interest in the player who is seen, presumably as a long-term replacement for Idrissa Gueye, mostly featuring from the bench next season and hopefully stepping up to the first team the year after.

I can't speak about Aston Villa's interest in Dobbin. He's a player with potential, he probably suits the way they play more than us. He's more of a Leon Bailey type wide attacker than a workhorse with a decent cross on him like Harrison and McNeil. I don't personally think he's got the potential to become a starter for Aston Villa but they might disagree.

This isn't just a cynical ploy to the extent that I may have made out, Everton are only paying about £9m for him. It's not like the two sides are just picking a random youth player each to swap over and paying each other £1m with £49m in add-ons over the next 20 years.

The reason Everton fans, including myself, are framing this as us going "nyer nyer nyer nyerrrr nyer, can't punish us for this can you" to the Premier League is because, after those absolute fucking pricks asked two different commissions last season to dock us a total of SEVENTEEN POINTS. Just because we made a mockery of that relegation battle tag in the end doesn't mean that will be forgotten any time soon. I'd obviously love to think we were waving our dicks in their faces after what they did to them last season but realistically, we're not remotely in the same region as Chelsea and the way they've taken the piss out of the rules over the years. 

I don't know if you're getting at me becoming cynical and not holding my club to standards of "good behaviour" or something or whether you're just being light-hearted. To be clear, I would love the Premier League to be a place where well-behaved clubs could hold their heads high and clubs who bend the rules and dabble in financial dark arts to be caught out, and hopefully that will come with the independent regulator. But right now, the Premier League is the Wild West and it's every man for themselves. Last season, my club survived by decimating their youth team and substitutes bench, selling Iwobi, Gray, Simms, Samuels-Smith, Cannon on top of Gordon in January, all replaced by loans or free transfers. If they've found a more creative (but legal) way of keeping things afloat while new owners are found and the new stadium is finished off then good. Do I want to see us take the well-trodden, "legitimate" path of selling Branthwaite to Man Utd for £25m below our asking price instead? Of course not, because I'm not insane.

There's plenty of examples of negative behaviour in the Premier League that span from "a bit cheeky" to "out and out corrupt". Everton and Villa structuring a couple of transfers to each other in a way that could shave a small sum that amounts to well under £10m off each of their respective PSR deficits isn't in the top 500.

• Subscriber
On 22/06/2024 at 17:52, 6666 said:

Dodgy stuff. Expected from Chelsea's new owners but it's sad how they've roped in other clubs into finding loopholes around the system.

Everton sold Tom Cannon to Leicester for £7.5m last summer. The Dobbin fee is inflated but only by maybe £5m tops. These deals are getting a lot of attention but if Everton and Aston Villa have both overpaid each other by £5m with the payments coming in installments, they're still going to have to count that in their future PSR calculations. It's not right morally perhaps, but it is within the rules as they stand and it's not even in the same stratosphere of dodginess as Boehly buying a hotel off Chelsea for £80m to generate profit for their calculations. No prizes for guessing which one the Premier League will put more effort into closing down.

The Premier League will be opening a real can of worms if they start dictating what "market value" is for players. I just don't see how it's enforceable. Another reason to scrap these rules in their current form and introduce some sort of budget cap.

The most important thing is that I hope these players who are arguably getting shifted around like pawns have their careers properly looked after wherever they end up. I'm confident that Iroegbanum is actually seen as a part of Everton's plans because he's apparently quite a long term target. It's hard to see Dobbin playing a major part for Villa in the near future though. The most inflated of these deals seems to be the Kellyman lad going for £18m if that goes through.

For what it's worth I think Tim Irogbaneam could be a good signing. At Michael Beale's QPR when they were at the top of the league he looked a big athletic lad in the middle that could run through the midfield with enough technical ability to influence the game. Not sure what happened after mind.

The fees paid for Dobbin and Kellyman seem farcical.

• Subscriber

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this area of the rules. Aston Villa can pay Everton £10m for Dobbin, with £2m up front and £8m in instalments. Aston Villa get to count that as £2m of outgoings and Everton get to count it as £10m of incomings even if it hasn't arrived in their account? It's almost as if they're actively inviting clubs to make deals like this.

The rules also actively encourage clubs to sell home-grown players. I'm not exactly sure on the numbers involved but when Everton sold Richarlison for £60m, it didn't help as much for our PSR situation as selling Gordon for £40m, because we paid £40-45m for Richarlison in the first place and we didn't spend anything bringing Gordon to the club.

Surely they should just simplify these stupid rules so that it's a case of what you've made over the past 3 years vs what you've paid out? All this nonsense about amortisation (I still don't know what that means by the way) just invites teams to exploit the grey areas like this.

Yes, I know, "all the teams voted for these rules". It doesn't change the fact they're a load of shite. It's utterly farcical that the Premier League allows clubs to write the rules themselves anyway. Funnily enough, the kids in the school I work in don't get to vote on changes to the rules that they then have to follow.

• Subscriber

In other news, Ashley Young has extended his contract with us by a year.

That Swiss Ramble guy and a few other sources reckon we're now PSR compliant after selling Dobbin but Ornstein is claiming we still need to sell someone before the "PSR Deadline Day" on Sunday. Not sure who to believe but also honestly so fucking bored of it all that I don't care.

In terms of sales, Branthwaite looks set to stay and is happy to do so. Onana would have been the ideal sale before June 30th but that isn't happening while he's at the Euros. Expect him to leave later in the summer as he is keen to move on and attracting interest. I don't think Dyche would miss him much either really.

There was talk of another "PSR swap deal" for Calvert-Lewin going to Newcastle. Seems like that talk was nonsense now as Everton have put a price-tag of £35m which has scared Newcastle off. No bid was ever made. One year left of his contract, he has an offer on the table and hasn't asked to leave but he seems to be considering his options. Everton showing no signs of wanting to cash in on him. Minteh has been linked to come the opposite way but nothing advanced.

We've agreed a deal for Ndiaye from Marseille for around £17m. Five-year contract to start in July once the details are resolved.

Harrison rejoining for another season is good news as we could end up with a few other holes to plug yet.

Retaining Branthwaite would significantly bolster Everton, given the interest from several top clubs. Unfortunately, Onana's departure appears inevitable due to his exceptional talent, which will likely attract offers from elite clubs this summer. Everton faces challenges in retaining him amidst the intense competition.

Ndiaye represents a valuable acquisition for Everton. At £17 million, his transfer fee appears favourable, especially considering that Marseille paid around £20 million to secure him from Sheffield United last summer. As a young yet experienced Senegal international, Ndiaye's signing bodes well for Everton. Additionally, the positive news is that Mykolenko has recovered from his injuries, and assuming he remains injury-free during the Euros, he should be fit and prepared to start next season for Everton.

As for Ashley Young, it looks like he will still be playing with Everton when he is 40. Hopefully Calvert-Lewin stays at the club, for Everton's sake. 

Edited by Michael

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

Unfortunately, Onana’s departure appears inevitable due to his exceptional talent, which will likely attract offers from elite clubs this summer. Everton faces big challenges in retaining him amidst the intense competition for his signature.

Onana will go. He wants to go, Everton want to sell him because they know the fee will be more use to them than he is under Sean Dyche, and there's no shortage of interest. We'll be fine without him.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

In other news, Ashley Young has extended his contract with us by a year.

That Swiss Ramble guy and a few other sources reckon we're now PSR compliant after selling Dobbin but Ornstein is claiming we still need to sell someone before the "PSR Deadline Day" on Sunday. Not sure who to believe but also honestly so fucking bored of it all that I don't care.

In terms of sales, Branthwaite looks set to stay and is happy to do so. Onana would have been the ideal sale before June 30th but that isn't happening while he's at the Euros. Expect him to leave later in the summer as he is keen to move on and attracting interest. I don't think Dyche would miss him much either really.

There was talk of another "PSR swap deal" for Calvert-Lewin going to Newcastle. Seems like that talk was nonsense now as Everton have put a price-tag of £35m which has scared Newcastle off. No bid was ever made. One year left of his contract, he has an offer on the table and hasn't asked to leave but he seems to be considering his options. Everton showing no signs of wanting to cash in on him. Minteh has been linked to come the opposite way but nothing advanced.

We've agreed a deal for Ndiaye from Marseille for around £17m. Five-year contract to start in July once the details are resolved.

Harrison rejoining for another season is good news as we could end up with a few other holes to plug yet.

Apparently the DCL link went as far as DCL agreeing personal terms but yes,  there is no way we will pay 35m for a striker entering his final year,  who has had two seasons of bad injury records and a 2,7,7 goal ratio.     DCL makes sense only if we keep Wilson and go with 3 strikers into the season. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Apparently the DCL link went as far as DCL agreeing personal terms but yes,  there is no way we will pay 35m for a striker entering his final year,  who has had two seasons of bad injury records and a 2,7,7 goal ratio.     DCL makes sense only if we keep Wilson and go with 3 strikers into the season. 

I'm surprised we asked for that much. Basically says unless you pay almost double his realistic value then we'd rather take our chances on the contract and risk him leaving on a free than have to find a way to replace him this summer.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm surprised we asked for that much. Basically says unless you pay almost double his realistic value then we'd rather take our chances on the contract and risk him leaving on a free than have to find a way to replace him this summer.

I like him for what he offers but he is definitely not worth 35m or 40m.   It may be worth trying to resign him to a new contract. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I like him for what he offers but he is definitely not worth 35m or 40m.   It may be worth trying to resign him to a new contract. 

He's been offered a new deal. Think he's just willing to see what his alternatives are before signing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Takeover off?

Everton takeover talks with Friedkin Group called off

Everton's talks with the Friedkin Group over a takeover of the club have been called off after the two parties failed to reach an agreement.

The Friedkin Group, which also owns Serie A club Roma, had agreed a deal in principle to take over the club in June.

Chairman Dan Friedkin and his group were granted exclusivity in talks after a deal with Miami-based firm 777 partners broke down.

"The parties agree it is in both their interests for Everton to explore alternative options," said the Friedkin Group and Everton's current owner Blue Heaven Holdings in a joint statement.

The Friedkin Group, which injected £200m into the club and paid off a £158m loan to MSP Sports Capital and two local businessmen, will "remain a lender to the club", the statement added.

Farhad Moshiri, who bought a 49.9% share in Everton in 2016, is now its majority owner through Blue Heaven Holdings with a 94% stake.

• Subscriber

Funny there were no murmurings about this before this announcement. Nothing surprises me. Not really arsed about the details but something to do with the debt owed to 777 being complicated by their legal situation. This off the pitch stuff is a massive bore now and I'm just going to try not to pay attention to it.

Are Everton that skint they can't go abroad for pre season? Genuine question. I saw the PL teams pre season fixtures the other day and noticed there was only them and someone else not going overseas. As much as I take the piss out of them they'll still pull bigger crowds than a lot of other sides going abroad so strange that they're staying in the UK and Ireland

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Are Everton that skint they can't go abroad for pre season? Genuine question. I saw the PL teams pre season fixtures the other day and noticed there was only them and someone else not going overseas. As much as I take the piss out of them they'll still pull bigger crowds than a lot of other sides going abroad so strange that they're staying in the UK and Ireland

Pre season was planned while the ownership was still completely unknown. During the "everyone except Moshiri knows that 777 isn't happening" phase. All the budgets were basically completely unknown so there were no contract offers or money committed to anything.

The club seemed to spark back into life after Moshiri sacked off 777 and started listening to other offers. That's when Gueye, Young and Coleman finally had their 1 year extensions activated but it was too late by then to organise anything for pre-season.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Our fans have lost their minds calling for Dyche's head. Whatever you think of his style of play, the entertainment value, and what he says in press conferences, the proof is in the pudding. With the worst squad we've had in years, we swallowed two points deductions last season and stayed up with 40 points. It was about 12th we'd have ended up with no deductions.

What he does has a very low ceiling but it also has a higher floor than any manager we've had since Moyes with the exception of Ancelotti (even that's debatable). Replacing him based on two poor games with an unready and injury ravaged squad would be ridiculous. Any other manager would be a risk and that's before you get into the questions of who would even take that decision when the owner is actively trying to sell the club and who would even consider taking us over.

People need to keep their heads screwed on here.