talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

IMG_20200303_221859.thumb.jpg.cf2a970201a808734f2f62d459175b09.jpg

Mason Holgate has signed a new five year contract today. Holgate's progress this season has quietly mirrored that of Dominic Calvert-Lewin up front. With the goalscorer naturally attracting the majority of the attention from outside the club, our fans have been equally delighted with Holgate who has gone from being perceived as barely passable cover for Keane and Mina at the start of the season, to our first choice centre back during the second half of the campaign, playing the full 90 minutes in 18 of the past 19 league games.

Looking at the stats, Holgate could do better in the air, but the confidence of an extended run in the side and the trust of an experienced elite manager have brought the best out of him. He consistently looks composed in the challenge and on the ball these days and his passing stats, coupled with his lack of a single mistake this season that led to a goalscoring chance, are particularly impressive.

Great news for us today.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Seen Moise Kean has allegedly had a party  and is being called the next Balotelli. Dunno if it’s just me but it seems a little bit racist because the only things  they have in common is their nationality and skin colour. 

Well and getting in the papers for doing shite like this. I can understand why Everton and Everton fans would be annoyed by a young player they’ve been patient with but hasn’t really done anything of note making the news for blatantly breaking public health guidelines.

But yeah I assume it’s racist because aside from the kid doing something stupid, he’s a black Italian football prospect.

I do think Moise Kean’s more just a kid being stupid than a full blown dickhead like Balotelli though

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well and getting in the papers for doing shite like this. I can understand why Everton and Everton fans would be annoyed by a young player they’ve been patient with but hasn’t really done anything of note making the news for blatantly breaking public health guidelines.

But yeah I assume it’s racist because aside from the kid doing something stupid, he’s a black Italian football prospect.

I do think Moise Kean’s more just a kid being stupid than a full blown dickhead like Balotelli though

The only comparisons at this stage are their nationality and skin colour. He never drew any comparisons to Jack Grealish, who is a similar age and recently, done a similar thing. It’s not as though he’s a bit of a dickhead normally and is usually doing stupid stuff, this is genuinely the first I’ve heard of Kean doing anything away from the pitch. 

Not willing to wade into a race debate but could it also be to do with his performances on the pitch? Came with a big fanfare and so far hasn't really delivered, whereas Grealish is universally adored at Villa. Same with Walker at Man City, Mount at Chelsea etc. Balotelli was a hell of a player but you did wonder at times what he could have done if he lived for the game and not the lifestyle.

Edited by tlr

12 minutes ago, tlr said:

Not willing to wade into a race debate but could it also be to do with his performances on the pitch? Came with a big fanfare and so far hasn't really delivered, whereas Grealish is universally adored at Villa. Same with Walker at Man City, Mount at Chelsea etc. Balotelli was a hell of a player but you did wonder at times what he could have done if he lived for the game and not the lifestyle.

Far too premature into the lads career to be making those assumptions, for me. Stinks of lazy journalism and racism to me and nothing more. 

He’s a lad that turned twenty a couple of months ago living in the UK in his first season in the Premier League. As far as I’m aware there were no previous worries about his attitude or off field behaviour prior to joining Everton, so comparisons to Balotelli, at this stage, are beyond premature. 

• Subscriber

I'm staying well clear of the sensationalism around Moise Kean. Seems to be another case of many people waiting to be able to label him a flop or the next Balotelli or whatever. He's not scored as many goals this season as was probably expected after his late season form for Juventus but he was 19 when he joined and has shown flashes of ability.

In this instance he's been a very silly boy. I don't think the coverage has been that much different to what happened with Kyle Walker or Jack Grealish, but there certainly is an element of lazy journalism (but not actually from many journalists, mainly keyboard warriors on Twitter) with the shouts that he's another Balotelli, and while it's mainly because he's a young, Italian striker with a wild streak, there probably is a racial element to it, but a subconscious one more than anything particularly sinister.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

The only comparisons at this stage are their nationality and skin colour. He never drew any comparisons to Jack Grealish, who is a similar age and recently, done a similar thing. It’s not as though he’s a bit of a dickhead normally and is usually doing stupid stuff, this is genuinely the first I’ve heard of Kean doing anything away from the pitch. 

7B0F1091-4CD9-44A8-9C50-0853DFBBD707.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Isn’t it more akin to what Walker did, since they were both having sex parties?

But yeah, again like I said I agree the comparison is pretty lazy just because he’s black and Italian. And again, I think Kean’s just a 20 year old who’s made a mistake here, tbh more forgivable than Kyle Walker who’s not just a kid, rather than someone like Balotelli who I think is genuinely an arsehole.

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Was Keane pictured earlier on during the lockdown having been pulled over by the police? Or was that another player?

Niasse. Christ, just because they're black doesn't mean they're the same person. Racist.

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

£25m signing with one start suffers third long term injury since joining the club before teams even return to contact training. Literally astonishing.

This is what happens when you combine Everton with 2020.

• Subscriber

For context, Gbamin first injured his quad for 6 months having a shot. He has a record of making 25+ appearances in each of the past five seasons since making his professional debut at Lens and then Mainz.

That's just very shit luck. A lot of people are saying expect to see a lot of injuries in training and once football comes back after months of not training/not training with the normal intensity you would in the middle of a season & trying to jump back at it without a pre-season.

I feel for him. This is a guy who's made his big move and had 2 big setbacks and now he was able to train again and he's probably trying to impress his manager... Carlo fucking Ancelotti, which no offense to Silva... but that's a MASSIVE upgrade in manager, football's coming back after this COVID time off... and he's overexerted himself.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's just very shit luck. A lot of people are saying expect to see a lot of injuries in training and once football comes back after months of not training/not training with the normal intensity you would in the middle of a season & trying to jump back at it without a pre-season.

I feel for him. This is a guy who's made his big move and had 2 big setbacks and now he was able to train again and he's probably trying to impress his manager... Carlo fucking Ancelotti, which no offense to Silva... but that's a MASSIVE upgrade in manager, football's coming back after this COVID time off... and he's overexerted himself.

He has been training though, he's only just finished his rehab from the second injury that he got in January and this has been described as a freak accident. He literally did an interview yesterday declaring himself fully fit and ready to play in the games we have left.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

He has been training though, he's only just finished his rehab from the second injury that he got in January and this has been described as a freak accident. He literally did an interview yesterday declaring himself fully fit and ready to play in the games we have left.

That's just so shit for him. 

• Subscriber

We have announced Cazoo as our new shirt sponsor in a deal worth £10m a season.

I'm absolutely delighted that we have moved away from Sport Pesa to a sponsor from outside the gambling industry. Apparently we will also be the only club in the top flight with a British owned company as a shirt sponsor if you're into that sort of thing.

In an ideal world I'd prefer to see us put Everton in the Community on the front of the shirt but seeing as we're certain to dump £25m on Lingard or something equally braindead at some point over the next year or so it's probably the smart play to let someone give us the £10m instead.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Apparently we will also be the only club in the top flight with a British owned company as a shirt sponsor if you're into that sort of thing.

Standard Chartered is British I thought?