talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

Everton are doing well getting Ancelotti in. I know Arteta is a fan favourite but he’s completely unproven, and I can’t understand the clamour over him from Arsenal and Everton fans. Yeah he played for you but he’s done fuck all to warrant a top job. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Fair play if they pull it off. Big statement. Interesting how he does in a job where he actually has to try and build something though rather than walking into jobs where a lot of the foundations have already been laid out

I don't think he'd have gone there unless he's received assurances about what can be spent going forward to strengthen the team.

• Subscriber

This'll be unpopular but I can see this going pear shaped. I get why people would be excited and you would have to say it's a coup given what he's achieved in the game but I said it with the Arsenal link too that his best days seem very much behind him. I think there'll be an initial lift before the usual unraveling.

He's got a fantastic CV but it's a totally different proposition managing Everton in their situation to managing a Bayern or PSG. Chalk and cheese.

• Upvote 1

I actually think that weirdly, Ancelotti is better suited to Everton than to Arsenal. 

Arsenal are a complete mess, squad-wise and need a substantial amount of balancing and recruitment. 

Everton actually have a good squad which has already been very expensively assembled, but they're tactically confused and brutally low on confidence.

• Subscriber

Could go either way this, but the bottom line is, is Ancelotti is available, nobody in their right mind is going "hmm maybe, but I dunno, I'm just really feeling this whole David Moyes thing, for me it's an opportunity we just can't miss" are they?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I actually think that weirdly, Ancelotti is better suited to Everton than to Arsenal. 

Arsenal are a complete mess, squad-wise and need a substantial amount of balancing and recruitment. 

Everton actually have a good squad which has already been very expensively assembled, but they're tactically confused and brutally low on confidence.

Cant agree with that. Arsenal need their defense sorting and a coach that is tactically astute. Then they should push on.

Everton however have a sorry defense, an industrious midfield lacking creativity and a very sorry attacking line up. 

I think Everton need much more work done squad wise than Arsenal.

Has Ancelotti ever built a team/squad?

I honestly can only remember him stepping into a club that was at the top of their game, bullies of the league?

He was great at continuing success at a successful club, but has he got the modern day mentality to build a team that is evidently struggling on all fronts? I'm not so sure. Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Edited by LFCMadLad
  • Like 1

Ancelotti is a BIG BIG manager, credit to Everton for pulling this off. I rate him at any level, he plays good football and gets results. Napoli was a strange one with their owner/director being a complete imbecile. He won trophies with 6 out of his 7 last clubs. I loved him at Chelsea maybe the best manager from the Roman era hands down. We played good football broke records and he was one of the rare managers that even our "player power" players loved. Wish him all the best at Everton.

14 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Ancelotti is a BIG BIG manager, credit to Everton for pulling this off. I rate him at any level, he plays good football and gets results. Napoli was a strange one with their owner/director being a complete imbecile. He won trophies with 6 out of his 7 last clubs. I loved him at Chelsea maybe the best manager from the Roman era hands down. We played good football broke records and he was one of the rare managers that even our "player power" players loved. Wish him all the best at Everton.

Don’t think that side and situation is close to Everton. At every club he’s been at, when the chips were down, so was he. 

He’s not once ever been in a situation like he currently is at Everton. I’m intrigued to see how he does and like you, I genuinely hope he succeeds. Legend. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Cant agree with that. Arsenal need their defense sorting and a coach that is tactically astute. Then they should push on.

Everton however have a sorry defense, an industrious midfield lacking creativity and a very sorry attacking line up. 

I think Everton need much more work done squad wise than Arsenal.

Has Ancelotti ever built a team/squad?

I honestly can only remember him stepping into a club that was at the top of their game, bullies of the league?

He was great at continuing success at a successful club, but has he got the modern day mentality to build a team that is evidently struggling on all fronts? I'm not so sure. Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Everton have the ability to put out a strong 11 at full strength. Not world class but as you say they have an industrious core, they have really talented players who can cause issues going forward like Richarlison, Digne, Sidibe and Bernard, and they have central defenders who can be useful if they're screened properly.

Iwobi, Schneiderlin, Walcott, Sigurdsson etc are not bad players. They're not stars but they certainly can have a place in a good team. 

They don't need as much of an overhaul as Arsenal. Arsenal need to make major sales as well as signings because their squad is  fundamentally top-heavy. 

Everton are maybe lacking a reliable holding midfielder - Gbamin has been a loss in that sense, a quality centre forward (though who knows what Ancelotti could do with Kean?), and maybe a more composed centre back to pair with Mina or Keane. 

• Subscriber

We have quality in most positions. Our issue is a lack of pace throughout the side, though it doesn't help when our actually fast midfielders Gbamin and Gomes are out on long term injuries. We definitely need to get a centre back with some pace but when they're having a decent day, Keane/Mina/Holgate are all good enough to keep most teams at bay. Going forward, Richarlison is becoming a talisman, Calvert-Lewin is still developing, we know Kean has the talent, again it's just a matter of consistency there. Digne, Iwobi and Sigurdsson had some of the best creative stats in the league last season, confidence and consistency their issues this season. What's Pickford's biggest issue? Consistency.

Lots of quality, you just need the right manager to get a tune out of this team. Silva always seemed to be within touching distance of doing so without actually achieving it. We might need a fast centre back, a right back and a proven goalscorer but otherwise in most positions there aren't many clubs outside the top six and Leicester with better players than us. An overhaul isn't needed at all.

• Subscriber

I don't think we're in a position to be splashing that much cash. I know FFP works over a three year period but not much more than that. This summer we had to be careful with our net spend as we were close to getting risky with FFP. This is why the net spend in the summer was only around £30m. We balanced the books by selling Gueye, Lookman, Vlasic and a few other small fries. However, Silva's compensation package won't help either. I don't know how FFP is affected if Usmanov did indeed heavily invest in the club as well. Maybe if he does invest, that would allow us to splash some cash. However I maintain that we don't need to yet. This squad is good enough and expensive enough to be competing on the fringes of the top six and that needs to happen before we start spending more on new players.

• Subscriber

I do think you can't really over-estimate good coaching - don't get me wrong I'm taking our squad over yours but there's a lot less between them than the table suggests in my opinion.

Edited by Dan

On 28/12/2019 at 11:39, RandoEFC said:

Not bad at all. Need to figure out if it's more or less than a year since I suggested Calvert-Lewin could get an England call up at some point in his career and nearly everyone on here called it laughable.

Has he missed a load of games? Genuinely don't know - because with that stat and scoring every 140ish minutes you'd think he'd be up there with Rashford, Mane, or Salah with their 150 minutes per goal.

He's a weird player though - it seems like he's much more comfortable finishing with his head than his feet... but he doesn't look like that kind of striker when you see him. He's obviously improved since last season where I thought he was total dogshite, because he's almost got 10 league goals this season. I'm assuming this is the best he's done in a half season? Maybe it's a breakout year for him and he'll actually get callups to the England squad like you suggested - because he does seem to offer something a bit different than the other England strikers.

Although I think Danny Ings ought to be back in consideration for the England squad. Also if they could get Vardy to unretire... I think he'd be in too.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.cdee44ca8abb54460f91e4a523609532.png

Alisher Usmanov keen on Everton investment and stadium naming rights

Former Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov says he is keen to join his friend and business partner Farhad Moshiri as an investor in Everton.

Usmanov describes himself as a Gunners fan and held 30 per cent of the club until selling his shares to Stan Kroenke in 2018.

But the Russian businessman could now turn his attentions to another Premier League club, with Moshiri already established as Everton's majority shareholder.

FULL REPORT