• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Qatar 2022 World Cup

football forum

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/11/2022 at 08:59, Honey Honey said:

Aye, if only it was 2,000 then it would be alright? 

Symbolic gestures for better rights do not make you a prat. This tournament is literally making homophobic threats and demands. 

If you can't stand up for your values now at this most piss easy time and perfect opportunity then you never will. Or as is the case with FIFA, you don't actually really have these values in the first place.

I thought it was clearly stated by the authorities in Qatar that homosexuals and everyone else would be welcome at the World Cup? In their religion as in mainstream Christianity, the act of homosexuality is a sin. But they have said people can come over, regardless of their sexual orientation or their religious beliefs. It seems that some people would not like any World Cup to be held in any muslim majority country, this in my opinion, is unreasonable. Muslims, just like most other groups of people, have some of the most educated and kindest individuals amongst them.

By the way, just because we are both Westerners, does not mean that we hold the same values or ideals of course, but don't worry, I am not going to hate you for that. I know plenty of educated Western friends, be they Christian or not, who do not agree with the act of homosexuality for example. My personal opinion is each to their own. But we are going to get varying opinions and outlooks everywhere, the point is we should try and be understanding to others as much as we can and find some common ground.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Michael said:

I thought it was clearly stated by the authorities in Qatar that homosexuals and everyone else would be welcome at the World Cup? In their religion as in mainstream Christianity, the act of homosexuality is a sin. But they have said people can come over, regardless of their sexual orientation or their religious beliefs. It seems that some people would not like any World Cup to be held in any muslim majority country, this in my opinion, is unreasonable. Muslims, just like most other groups of people, have some of the most educated and kindest individuals amongst them.

It was also clearly stated by the authorities in Qatar that beer will be sold in the stadiums, how did that one go?... :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, if you were homosexual, would you feel comfortable going to a country where your sexual orientation is punishable by law and can get you imprisoned for 7 years, even if some authorities said that everyone would be welcome? I know I personally wouldn't...

Also, there are Muslim  majority countries were homosexuality is not illegal, either de jure or de facto, so I think it is a good indication that it is very possible to uphold the society's religious beliefs, traditions and cultural norms without sacrificing very basic human rights.

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

It was also clearly stated by the authorities in Qatar that beer will be sold in the stadiums, how did that one go?... :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, if you were homosexual, would you feel comfortable going to a country where your sexual orientation is punishable by law and can get you imprisoned for 7 years, even if some authorities said that everyone would be welcome? I know I personally wouldn't...

Also, there are Muslim  majority countries were homosexuality is not illegal, either de jure or de facto, so I think it is a good indication that it is very possible to uphold the society's religious beliefs, traditions and cultural norms without sacrificing very basic human rights.

Yes, I raised the beer issue in another post, that was unprofessional. But beer/alcohol is still being sold in other places, it's not like there's a complete ban on it. 

If it was made clear that homosexuals were welcome, which I believe it has been, then if I were a homosexual, I think I would be reassured by that. Now when you go to a muslim country, or any other highly religious country, I would think that you would have to have some knowledge about the beliefs of the people in such countries. So as to respect the beliefs of the locals, even if you fully agree with them or not. As regards to law, I believe that those muslim countries where homosexuality is not illegal are secular. But the populace is still muslim, and from what I understand, homosexuality is a clear sin in their religion. So really regardless of the law, I think that the act of homosexual behaviour would be frowned upon by the people. If I was a homosexual, wanting to lead the life the way I wanted to live it, I might visit these countries, but I probably wouldn't live in them.

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

Yes, I raised the beer issue in another post, that was unprofessional. But beer/alcohol is still being sold in other places, it's not like there's a complete ban on it. 

If it was made clear that homosexuals were welcome, which I believe it has been, then if I were a homosexual, I think I would be reassured by that. Now when you go to a muslim country, or any other highly religious country. I would think that you would have to have some knowledge about the beliefs of the people in such countries. So as to respect the beliefs of the locals, even if you fully agree with them or not. As regards to law, I believe that those muslim countries where homosexuality is not illegal are secular. But the populace is still muslim, and from what I understand, homosexuality is a clear sin in their religion. So really regardless of the law, I think that the act of homosexual behaviour would be frowned upon by the people. If I was a homosexual, wanting to lead the life the way I wanted to live it, I might visit these countries, but I probably wouldn't live in them.

The beer part was more or less a joke, I don't care about that, but it does show that the authorities can change their mind whenever they want to.

Well, then you are definitely much more willing to trust authorities with your life and freedom than I would. I absolutely agree with respecting the cultural norms of the country you are visiting or choose to live in, that's a no brainer, but I personally wouldn't set foot anywhere where the mere fact of me simply being something could lead to serious legal troubles and discrimination.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Didn't the German national team also have a plane painted with diversity messages, but only flew it to Oman and then took another, completely regular plane to Qatar from there? xD 

If you are protesting but you “need permission” before you carry on with the protest… you aren’t protesting

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah... it's Budweiser... but hey... winner gets free beer for their country, that's not bad!

Also I hope Budweiser's lawsuit against FIFA goes well.

Bud is no worse than Heineken or Carlsberg. Perfectly boring.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Bud is no worse than Heineken or Carlsberg. Perfectly boring.

My tastebuds think all of them are shite and I like Stella if I'm going to have a shit beer, but free beer > good beer.

Plus nobody's drinking beer like that cos they like the taste. They're drinking beer like that because it's easy to drink a lot of them.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My tastebuds think all of them are shite and I like Stella if I'm going to have a shit beer, but free beer > good beer.

Plus nobody's drinking beer like that cos they like the taste. They're drinking beer like that because it's easy to drink a lot of them.

Stella is the fucking worst of the lot, shambles you are.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Stella is the fucking worst of the lot, shambles you are.

Peroni is my favourite shite beer but that's impossible to find here.

Idk why we're arguing over shite beers either. It's not like I won't drink any of them. I'll absolutely drink all of them. Bring me the beers and I'll drink them and then rate them for you if you want. I'll drink shit lagers all day, bring them to me.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Peroni is my favourite shite beer but that's impossible to find here.

Idk why we're arguing over shite beers either. It's not like I won't drink any of them. I'll absolutely drink all of them. Bring me the beers and I'll drink them and then rate them for you if you want. I'll drink shit lagers all day, bring them to me.

Fucken hell it gets worse, Peroni is easily the second worst beer I’ve ever had

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bud is a great drink to revert to on a night out when youre getting too pissed too quickly and you need something that will appease the alcoholic in you and not get you more pissed at the same time

It is still stronger than you think too. You’d guess 4% at the most but it’s 5%

Archived