talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

34 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So right now, in most countries, the bank holds people's savings and lends out money. They work on a basis that if Mr A, Mr B, Mr C and Mr D all have £100 in their accounts then the bank "owes" them £400 overall when they want their money. However, if Mr E wants to borrow £200 from the bank for 12 months, they can lend them the other people's money in the knowledge that they probably won't all want to withdraw their cash during those 12 months. On a larger scale the assumption is that even if a bank only "has" 10% of the money in their customers accounts, enough people will be putting money back into their accounts to satisfy the financial needs of all of the money leaving the bank through withdrawals and transfers. Well sort of.

So now rather than bank accounts and loans being essentially a massive list of who owes who hypothetical money at some point in the future, in Switzerland they will be more like an actual money exchange service where you go and ask for a loan of €10,000 and the bank can't give it to you unless there is at least €10,000 of savings around?

I do think I'm following you but I don't think I've explained it back very well....

I think that is a pretty good explanation.

When people panic and you get bank runs with everyone trying to withdraw their money at once like at northern rock the bank goes bust setting contagion across other banks. 

The proposals would mean the Swiss central bank would be the only power capable of creating money, rather than private profit seeking banks who tend to use it to drive speculative assets (property, shares) which gives them faster and bigger banker bonuses.

Investing in industry and the productive economy has a really slow rate of return, a higher risk and a lower reward, which is why banks do so little of it.

But the swiss vote is not so much about that, it is more about protection from the speculative bankers that brought the world to its knees through the interconnectivity of all electronic money. It is a combination of keeping ordinary folks money safe and altering the behaviour of the banking system.

• 4 weeks later...

So are we okay with Russia’s nerve agent poisoning innocent people and not ex-spies. This place was weirdly okay with Russia poisoning that ex-spy and his daughter, but now 2 random people have been poisoned by the nerve agent. But what about just 2 random English people.

When the West has real leadership in the English speaking countries again (well I guess Canada doesn’t look so fucking incompetent), assassinating Putin should be on the menu.

• Subscriber

Yes indeed, let's hope that the West in the English speaking countries decide to assassinate yet another leader of an independent state and start yet another war based on assumptions and claims that so conveniently fit with the current political climate, all without producing any proper evidence.  /s

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So are we okay with Russia’s nerve agent poisoning innocent people and not ex-spies. This place was weirdly okay with Russia poisoning that ex-spy and his daughter, but now 2 random people have been poisoned by the nerve agent. But what about just 2 random English people.

When the West has real leadership in the English speaking countries again (well I guess Canada doesn’t look so fucking incompetent), assassinating Putin should be on the menu.

You of all people are asking for the West interference on foreign countries?, what about if Iran was next, what about your family? And also as if that has ended so well before.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'm surprised there has been no talk on here of the kids and football coach being stuck in the cave in Thailand. Fuck being stuck in there. It looks like it's going to be some mission to get them out also, as one of the rescuers(an ex Thai navy seal) has died today.

I'm following it closely, they don't have much time left as monsoon rains are forecast for the weekend... Latest update from Thai sources says they possibly found chimneys 150-200m away from where the kids are stranded, that gives hope for oxygen supply at least... 

2 hours ago, Berserker said:

You of all people are asking for the West interference on foreign countries?, what about if Iran was next, what about your family? And also as if that has ended so well before.

Iran is so irreparably fucked & Russia is a big part of why it’s so fucked. Also Russia is poisoning people in England with chemical weapons, so they deserve some western interference.

Also did you just compare my family to me wanting Putin dead? In an Iran context the closest they could be to Putin would be if they were Khameini and his family. I would be thrilled if Khameini died. I’m glad I’m not related to Putin or a Khameini. And if I was then there’d be members of my family that deserve a horrible death.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Iran is so irreparably fucked & Russia is a big part of why it’s so fucked. Also Russia is poisoning people in England with chemical weapons, so they deserve some western interference.

Also did you just compare my family to me wanting Putin dead? In an Iran context the closest they could be to Putin would be if they were Khameini and his family. I would be thrilled if Khameini died. I’m glad I’m not related to Putin or a Khameini. And if I was then there’d be members of my family that deserve a horrible death.

I meant it in the sense that it would most probably lead to a war, and if it Iran were to be next then your family would suffer from it.

• Subscriber

The Thai cave rescue has officially started at 10am local time today... Best conditions for it, as the water levels dropped by another 30 centimeters, and some of the chambers are now passable without diving. Still, a monumental task for everyone involved. Each kid will be accompanied by two experienced divers, if everything goes well, first ones are expected to emerge at 9pm local time. Hope everyone makes it out alive and well... 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, nudge said:

The Thai cave rescue has officially started at 10am local time today... Best conditions for it, as the water levels dropped by another 30 centimeters, and some of the chambers are now passable without diving. Still, a monumental task for everyone involved. Each kid will be accompanied by two experienced divers, if everything goes well, first ones are expected to emerge at 9pm local time. Hope everyone makes it out alive and well... 

Guessing they've not used Elon Musk's team/tech to try and get them out?

• Subscriber
Just now, Danny said:

Guessing they've not used Elon Musk's team/tech to try and get them out?

Too risky to wait for them to finish constructing the escape pods and then fly to Thailand... Heavy monsoon rains are forecast and can strike any moment, the rescue team fears that the caves will be flooded again and with decreasing levels of oxygen, suffocation is a risk too. There are little official details of the rescue mission at the moment though as the media have all been moved away from the cave. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Going to be a pretty worrying time for the teams and a frightning one for the kids.. hope it all goes well

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Going to be a pretty worrying time for the teams and a frightning one for the kids.. hope it all goes well

I can't even imagine what their families are going through, it's a nightmare. First not knowing what has happened to them for over a week, then a huge relief as they are found safe and relatively healthy, and then a setback again as it becomes clear how complicated their situation and the rescue operation is... The only positive thing about this ordeal is the proof that people of different countries, cultures and backgrounds can come together and work towards a common goal when it truly matters, good to see that once in a while for a change. Hoping for some good news tonight; we're set for heavy rains starting Tuesday, fingers crossed this rescue mission works.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I can't even imagine what their families are going through, it's a nightmare. First not knowing what has happened to them for over a week, then a huge relief as they are found safe and relatively healthy, and then a setback again as it becomes clear how complicated their situation and the rescue operation is... The only positive thing about this ordeal is the proof that people of different countries, cultures and backgrounds can come together and work towards a common goal when it truly matters, good to see that once in a while for a change. Hoping for some good news tonight; we're set for heavy rains starting Tuesday, fingers crossed this rescue mission works.

This above all else... sometimes we are at our best when facing the worst of things, great to see that people can pull together for the greater cause.. 

• Subscriber

4th boy has now reached the cave entrance, 5th & 6th boys have reached the 3rd chamber (where the base camp is)! 

This is going better and faster than expected, hope the rest of them will be out soon, too!

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

They were reporting 6 out earlier now they are saying it's just the 4 and they will try again tomorrow for the rest.. 

Yes, 4 out officially confirmed by the governor and rescue chief in a press conference. The mission is stopped for at least 10 hours to refill depleted oxygen supplies. 90 divers working on it :o 

EDIT: 2 more kids are said to be safe in the base camp, but this is unconfirmed. 

Edited by nudge

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Yes, 4 out officially confirmed by the governor and rescue chief in a press conference. The mission is stopped for at least 10 hours to refill depleted oxygen supplies. 90 divers working on it :o 

EDIT: 2 more kids are said to be safe in the base camp, but this is unconfirmed. 

Time to spare a thought for Saman Kunan who lost his life while doing this... 

Image result for Saman Gunan

A former Thai navy diver has died while taking part in efforts to rescue 12 boys and their football coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.

Petty Officer Saman Kunan lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex, where he had been delivering air tanks.

The death of Saman - a highly trained diver - on Thursday underscored the danger of moving from the chamber to mouth of the cave, and raised serious doubts about the safety of bringing the boys out through the cramped, flooded passageways.

The diver died after losing consciousness in one of the passageways, said Passakorn Boonyaluck, deputy governor of the Chiang Rai region, where the cave is situated.

"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," Mr Passakorn said.

He said that Saman's dive partner tried to revive him but could not, and his body was brought out of the cave.

RIP... 

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Time to spare a thought for Saman Kunan who lost his life while doing this... 

Image result for Saman Gunan

A former Thai navy diver has died while taking part in efforts to rescue 12 boys and their football coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.

Petty Officer Saman Kunan lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex, where he had been delivering air tanks.

The death of Saman - a highly trained diver - on Thursday underscored the danger of moving from the chamber to mouth of the cave, and raised serious doubts about the safety of bringing the boys out through the cramped, flooded passageways.

The diver died after losing consciousness in one of the passageways, said Passakorn Boonyaluck, deputy governor of the Chiang Rai region, where the cave is situated.

"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," Mr Passakorn said.

He said that Saman's dive partner tried to revive him but could not, and his body was brought out of the cave.

RIP... 

RIP, a true hero :( 

A car carrying rescue volunteers fell off the cliff yesterday too; luckily no deaths, but one of the passengers is critically injured... 

• Subscriber

Latest update: rescue operation has resumed around 11am local time, good news expected in a few hours time. Yesterday's rain hasn't affected water levels in the cave, the same divers are doing the rescue today too as they already know the cave and the procedure well.

The 4 boys rescued yesterday are under quarantine in Chiang Rai hospital for a few days as a precaution, but they are reportedly in good health and spirits, and already requested spicy basil pork today ^_^ that's a good sign, can imagine it will taste absolutely amazing after two weeks out there :D 

• The title was changed to Other News & General Chat