talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

How is it irrational?

What proof is there that specifically aliens exist anywhere? Regardless whether they come to Earth or not, that's a moot point.

Because your not a scientist but you are going against the scientific consensus.  If you have trillions of planets and the odds of life forming is billions to one that makes it likely there is life out there. The chances of them coming to earth however is very unlikely due to reasons discussed with nudge. These things aren't really opinions they are looking at data and coming to the likely conclusion 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah it's strange. Stans normally very rational but I think he's got this one wrong. There are so many stars and planets out there from what I gather most scientists think it's unlikely there isn't intelligent life out there 

To me there is no wrong or right. Just a belief. But what do you think I've got 'wrong'?

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersaurus said:

Because your not a scientist but you are going against the scientific consensus.  If you have trillions of planets and the odds of life forming is billions to one that makes it likely there is life out there 

What scientific consensus is this, by the way? 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I think your being irrational personally. Most scientists think there is intelligent life in the universe. It's been explained why aliens probably haven't come to earth. Seems strange to think it when scientists disagree 

Erm, no. Most scientists do not believe that there is intelligent life in the universe, nor has it been explained why aliens haven't come to Earth... What many scientists believe is that the existence of extraterrestrial life in the past or present is likely in the vast Universe, but we're mostly talking about microbial lifeforms here, not intelligent alien civilisations. Drake Equation and Fermi paradox looking at the potential number of alien civilisations and the reasons there hasn't been any contact is nothing but a thought experiment...

Edited by nudge
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah it's strange. Stans normally very rational but I think he's got this one wrong. There are so many stars and planets out there from what I gather most scientists think it's unlikely there isn't intelligent life out there 

Lol I don't think he's got anything wrong, there's no evidence or even a consensus either way. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Erm, no. Most scientists do not believe that there is intelligent life in the universe, nor has it been explained why aliens haven't come to Earth... What many scientists believe is that the existence of extraterrestrial life in the past or present is likely in the vast Universe, but we're mostly talking about microbial lifeforms here, not intelligent alien civilisations. Drake Equation and Fermi paradox looking at the potential number of alien civilisations and the reasons there hasn't been any contact is nothing but a thought experiment...

This is my point. 

I believe there's this kind of life form somewhere out there. 

But not aliens. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

What if one of those unknown numbers calls I rejected was Aliens trying to make contact? I've ruined everything. 

Or you just saved the humanity from extinction by being an introvert who doesn't like phone calls.

Some heroes do not wear capes xD 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Fair enough. But can we see all the stars in the universe? If there are trillions of planets and the odds of intelligent life forming are billions to one then doesn't that mean it's likely there is intelligent life?

Also just done a quick Google isn't the drake equation just our galaxy?

Edited by Gunnersaurus

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

This is my point. 

I believe there's this kind of life form somewhere out there. 

But not aliens. 

I think it's the word "alien" that causes misunderstandings. To me, a microbe in the ocean under ice sheets of Europa would fit the description of alien. But I realise that to many, it means an intelligent and technologically advanced form of life by default...

28 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

One thing I've wondered. If the chances of life forming on one planet are billions to one. Then doesn't that mean it's likely that life forming on another planet will be thousands or even millions of lightyears away? Because the chances of two planets being able to support life being close enough together to get to would be trillions to one? 

That's why I'm skeptical of aliens visiting earth because I would imagine they would be so far away they wouldn't be able to get here. Unless they have found a way to go faster than light 

Too busy working and raising their kids to visit.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Fair enough. But can we see all the stars in the universe? If there are trillions of planets and the odds of intelligent life forming are billions to one then doesn't that mean it's likely there is intelligent life?

I understand your reasoning, but in the end, it's all just speculation. I do agree that given the size and age of the Universe, there's a chance that intelligent life has arisen somewhere else at some point, maybe in several places, or maybe it's even pretty common. But there are many factors at play, and absolutely no way to prove or disprove it. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

They are out there and they secretly run the world. This is why "astologists" don't leak the information to the public. They will die if so!

Were you wearing a tin foil hat as you typed this :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

@Stansounds an awful lot like an Alien trying to hide his true identity. :ph34r:

The whole world is alien to me. Oh, the irony! 

• Haha 1

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Aliens finally building up the courage to pay us a friendly visit, packing presents and what not, and the Americans just fucking shoot them down. 

And the Aliens at their space center tracking the flight are all like:

blinking-guy-blinks-eyes.gif

• Haha 1

@nudge Had a quick Google. In the observable universe there are around 125 billion galaxies. Presumably there is more than the observable universe? I know scientists can't say something exists without proof. But from a mathematical perspective. Wouldn't it be more likely than not there is intelligent life? From what I understand the drake equation was only our galaxy? And its been pretty heavily criticised. Have scientists said they don't think there is intelligent life or that there is no evidence? Because saying there is no evidence and saying that they don't think it's likely are different things.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Aliens finally building up the courage to pay us a friendly visit, packing presents and what not, and the Americans just fucking shoot them down. 

And the Aliens at their space center tracking the flight are all like:

blinking-guy-blinks-eyes.gif

I can't stop laughing at the thought of aliens packing presents xD

Ungrateful American bastards! 

• Haha 1