talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Annoyances That Don't Matter

football forum

51 minutes ago, nudge said:

It seems like we're talking about two different things here, really. If you hit all of the company's targets and meet all customer requirements, then you are quite clearly meeting the expectations and do what you're paid for, so that's fine with me - you're getting your job done properly, even if you're not enjoying it. In Stan's example though, if you have appointments but then decide you're done for the day and can't even be bothered to let the customers know, then you're not doing your job properly; and your lack of job satisfaction is not a valid excuse, as much as I'm concerned... My point is, if you decide to take a job, regardless how bad it is, you're supposed to do it properly. After all, nobody forced you to take it, and in most cases, there are others who would gladly do it if you can't be bothered to...

I feel like I'm arguing to procrastinate from actually doing my assignment that I came into the library to do today xD 

But in short, a good work ethic for something you genuinely want to do is great. A shit work ethic for a job you have to do to pay your bills within that moment, I'm not holding that against anyone.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

I feel like I'm arguing to procrastinate from actually doing my assignment that I came into the library to do today xD 

But in short, a good work ethic for something you genuinely want to do is great. A shit work ethic for a job you have to do to pay your bills within that moment, I'm not holding that against anyone.

Yeah, I think maybe that's the key difference in our points of view. I personally think that work ethic is a stable character trait/mindset expressed in general work-positive attitudes, discipline, professionalism, dilligence and determination, as opposed to something flexible that changes based on circumstances in one's field of work. To me, it seems that what you're talking about has more to do with motivation; which is a different thing altogether, imo. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I think maybe that's the key difference in our points of view. I personally think that work ethic is a stable character trait/mindset expressed in general work-positive attitudes, discipline, professionalism, dilligence and determination, as opposed to something flexible that changes based on circumstances in one's field of work. To me, it seems that what you're talking about has more to do with motivation; which is a different thing altogether, imo. 

I just can't attach expectations of a good work ethic to any job. It has to either be beneficial to me or something I enjoy doing and want to do, but sometimes just having the job can be less beneficial and more a worry of how close you could be to not affording rent whilst having to stay in a day to day routine that you may hate for any multitude of reasons until you're next able to find a more suitable job.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

I just can't attach expectations of a good work ethic to any job. It has to either be beneficial to me or something I enjoy doing and want to do, but sometimes just having the job can be less beneficial and more a worry of how close you could be to not affording rent whilst having to stay in a day to day routine that you may hate for any multitude of reasons until you're next able to find a more suitable job.

Yeah, I think we really don't understand each other here and are going in circles as a result xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I think we really don't understand each other here and are going in circles as a result xD 

My main problem here nudge, is that if we don't carry on going in circles I might actually have to finish my assignment.

• Subscriber
Just now, Danny said:

My main problem here nudge, is that if we don't carry on going in circles I might actually have to finish my assignment.

Well that wouldn't happen if you had a better work ethic, to be honest :ph34r: xD 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Honestly though looking at what happened to you, I'd put good money on the engineer having a half day booked in, someone putting too many jobs onto his ipad and someone in the office missing that your appointment came off the diary. The office I used to work in they would cram jobs onto engineers calendars knowing that there would be some that have to be rebooked, they'd rather deal with as many customers as possible and have some rebooked rather than deal with less but not rebook any.

I can appreciate that that could happen. But they still have to bear the responsibility to contact the customer who's been put out and will have their appt missed. It should never be up to the customer to chase in that scenario. 

I wonder as well if I'd have even been contacted by them on that day had I not chased. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I can appreciate that that could happen. But they still have to bear the responsibility to contact the customer who's been put out and will have their appt missed. It should never be up to the customer to chase in that scenario. 

I wonder as well if I'd have even been contacted by them on that day had I not chased. 

Completely agree with what you’re saying, but in practice, there are so many people that are either not contacted or contacted about 3-5 hours after the appt time.

Wouldnt surprise me if they contacted you in the evening, but definitely an office issue that they’ve heard you blame the engineer so they’ve jumped on with you because the actual reason someone didn’t turn up isn’t any better and it means you all moan at the engineer rather than them lol

16 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I think maybe that's the key difference in our points of view. I personally think that work ethic is a stable character trait/mindset expressed in general work-positive attitudes, discipline, professionalism, dilligence and determination, as opposed to something flexible that changes based on circumstances in one's field of work

Couldn't agree more... 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Spike said:

I have lived in overseas for eight years and no one in my family has visited. One of my friends did seven years ago.

I am a loner buddy, a lot of my family still live in Australia since 1959, one sister lives in New Zealand somewhere and I have 2 sisters living down South somewhere yet my eldest sister gave us a surprise visit from Australia about 6 years ago and that's about it and I have not heard from her since.

But that's the way I like it and could not give 2 shits about them and I always class the wife's side of the family as mine and that will do me fine. :)

Just went through the macdonalds drive through. The women behind me left her engine on. Why?? It wastes so much feul and is bad for the environment.

I just walked through the McDonalds drive through, the guy behind me kept turning his car off and the woman behind him was idling. Damn drivers polluting the planet with their gas guzzlers and petrol punchers.

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Just went through the macdonalds drive through. The women behind me left her engine on. Why?? It wastes so much feul and is bad for the environment.

It's very unlikely that this is the case, although, there are some people out there that need to keep their engine running all the time or the car battery will become temperamental... a drive-thru isn't going to be the best place to break down.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Wouldn't waste that much fuel in the drive thru, would it? 

Does it use up car battery turning it on and off again a few times as she waits? 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Wouldn't waste that much fuel in the drive thru, would it? 

Does it use up car battery turning it on and off again a few times as she waits? 

It's still bad for the environment though. Turning the car on and of can make the car battery last less time(an rac man told me that) but it probably cost more in wasted feul 

7 hours ago, Rab said:

It's very unlikely that this is the case, although, there are some people out there that need to keep their engine running all the time or the car battery will become temperamental... a drive-thru isn't going to be the best place to break down.

Did you mean to quote stan there? 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's still bad for the environment though. Turning the car on and of can make the car battery last less time(an rac man told me that) but it probably cost more in wasted feul 

Any proof of that, or just assumption?

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Did you mean to quote stan there? 

Very unlikely considering my response was after @Rab's xD 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Any proof of that, or just assumption?

Very unlikely considering my response was after @Rab's xD 

No. But like I said it's still bad for the environment.

Although the rac guy told me it can wear the batteries out a bit quicker but doesn't make much difference so I would imagine it does cost more overall but could be wrong 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No. But like I said it's still bad for the environment.

Although the rac guy told me it can wear the batteries out a bit quicker but doesn't make much difference so I would imagine it does cost more overall but could be wrong 

Do you turn your car off when waiting in traffic?

54 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you turn your car off when waiting in traffic?

Sometimes. If the traffic is completely stopped. Whether I do or whether I dont it's still better for the environment to turn it of when you can. And certainly you can in a drive through 

48 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just ride a bicycle, it's very good for the environment.

I cant go through the macdonalds drive through on a bicycle ;)

Archived