talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator

Rehan Ahmed, the youngest debutant for England at 18 y/o since 1921, took a couple of wickets. Proud moment for Leicestershire too as it's been a hell of a long time since they had a player play for England.

In Bangladesh vs India, Zakir got a ton on his debut but they look set to lose.

Aus vs SA could be over within a few days...

• 2 weeks later...

Largely agree with the exception of Mohamed Asif, he was the Asian Glen McGrath. Kevin Peterson, Amla, G Smith and others put him in their top 3-5 they faced in interviews

Too bad he ruined himself, according to sources his wife is the only one keeping him alive, an addict and a recluse.

9 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Largely agree with the exception of Mohamed Asif, he was the Asian Glen McGrath. Kevin Peterson, Amla, G Smith and others put him in their top 3-5 they faced in interviews

Too bad he ruined himself, according to sources his wife is the only one keeping him alive, an addict and a recluse.

Mohamed Amir was promising before he lost his best years to the betting scandal. 

• Upvote 1

the hard cold truth is that the death of south African cricket started in the mid 2000s when the United cricket board of south Africa became cricket south Africa and was constituted by a board of politicians pushing transformation over merit.   while the golden generation of Smith, Kallis, Dr Villiers, Amla, Steyn, Morkel and in patches Prince, Philander and sadly to late for Rabada by 2015 SA cricket with years of politically driven police's destroyed a decent first class level now our local and grass roots cricket requires quotas that has seen out best up and coming seek citizenship in England and Australia.   

The Springboks are all this country has left.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking to visit England for the Ashes series. Any advice on accomodation and the grounds I’d appreciate. I’m not sold any particular ground, Lord’s is preferred but London isn’t. The only place I’ve written off is Birmingham, I’ve no interest at all in Birmingham and Edgbaston.

@DeadLinesmanManchester
@Danny London
@Lucas Leeds

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I’m looking to visit England for the Ashes series. Any advice on accomodation and the grounds I’d appreciate. I’m not sold any particular ground, Lord’s is preferred but London isn’t. The only place I’ve written off is Birmingham, I’ve no interest at all in Birmingham and Edgbaston.

@DeadLinesmanManchester
@Danny London
@Lucas Leeds

For Lords youre best off getting a hotel near Kings Cross Station and you can get a train pretty much straight to the ground in less than 5/10 minutes. Plus if you do any sight seeing Kings Cross is also good to get you into all the touristy areas within 5/10 minutes.

It used to be a massive shithole with crackheads and prostitutes everywhere and that is definitely still visible at times. But the area is mostly now a gentrified food and shopping district.

Just don’t stay in a hostel, over here theyre less backpackers and more halfway houses. Especially in and around Kings Cross.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Danny said:

For Lords youre best off getting a hotel near Kings Cross Station and you can get a train pretty much straight to the ground in less than 5/10 minutes. Plus if you do any sight seeing Kings Cross is also good to get you into all the touristy areas within 5/10 minutes.

It used to be a massive shithole with crackheads and prostitutes everywhere and that is definitely still visible at times. But the area is mostly now a gentrified food and shopping district.

Just don’t stay in a hostel, over here theyre less backpackers and more halfway houses. Especially in and around Kings Cross.

I’m not staying anywhere that isn’t a decent hotel. I will probably be with my wife and I’m not staying somewhere with no privacy. 

I’m not overly interested in London to be honest, large cities aren’t my cup of tea these days. I prefer the rural life, and London seems daunting to me. But beggar’s can’t be choosers.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

@DeadLinesmanManchester
@Danny London
@Lucas Leeds

Manchester isn’t anything like London so as a city center, it’s not particularly massive or overwhelming. Some nice hotels and restaurants too. Metrolink service runs every 15 minutes out of the Center towards Old Trafford. If you’re looking at staying in a town as opposed to the City, the tram runs direct from Altrincham as well. Some of the smaller towns like Knutsford and Wilmslow are decent enough and trains will take you direct into the city on a fairly regular basis.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Manchester isn’t anything like London so as a city center, it’s not particularly massive or overwhelming. Some nice hotels and restaurants too. Metrolink service runs every 15 minutes out of the Center towards Old Trafford. If you’re looking at staying in a town as opposed to the City, the tram runs direct from Altrincham as well. Some of the smaller towns like Knutsford and Wilmslow are decent enough and trains will take you direct into the city on a fairly regular basis.

Now are these actually ‘towns’ or just a constituent piece of land that’s been swallowed up by a greater urban area? If I were to drive from the city centre of Manchester to Altrincham would their be countryside or just endless suburban sprawl of towns upon towns ?

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Now are these actually ‘towns’ or just a constituent piece of land that’s been swallowed up by a greater urban area? If I were to drive from the city centre of Manchester to Altrincham would their be countryside or just endless suburban sprawl of towns upon towns ?

If you want countryside, Knutsford is your best bet. And it’s about 10mins from the airport as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I’m not staying anywhere that isn’t a decent hotel. I will probably be with my wife and I’m not staying somewhere with no privacy. 

I’m not overly interested in London to be honest, large cities aren’t my cup of tea these days. I prefer the rural life, and London seems daunting to me. But beggar’s can’t be choosers.

Not the countryside but London has a great amount of parks. Kew Gardens, Hyde Park (walk round the serpetine), Finsbury Park to Ally Pally walk which starts on a disused rail line turned into country walkway with Highgate woods (and pubs) and a nice view of London on the way. Regents Park and Hamstead Heath are nice (can swim at the heath in the summer), Holland Park is more of a gardens but also nice too.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Spike said:

@DeadLinesmanManchester
@Danny London
@Lucas Leeds

Sorry mate, just seen this.

I think it depends how many days you are going for the Tests because you could easily stay local so it only takes 10-15 mins each day or if you aren't doing each day and want to be a little bit more away from it, you can stay in nicer areas.

For example with Headingley, you could stay in places like Knaresborough or Harrogate which are really lovely, and they are probably 25-30mins from the ground. But those places offer something nice to do if you are having time away from the Cricket.

Obviously Leeds is an option but if you don't want to be in the City and want something a bit more relaxed, which sounds like you do, I wouldn't stay there.

For me out of the three, Headingley is the best atmosphere but I'd also say it's the most boistrous, probably more so if you sit in the Western Terrace. Something to think about if the missus isnt comfortable with that.

Beauty of doing Headingley as well is being up that way, you can do a day trip to York which is one of the most stunning places over here I think personally.

Loads of lovely little villages in and around the vacinity you can visit, if you are into your country walks, I know some lovely places in the Yorkshire moors too like Malham Cove and stuff like that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks guys, What place would be the friendliest/most welcoming? Not just the town but the cricket crowds.

If @Lucasis anything to go by, I’d completely avoid Leeds and Yorkshire in general. @Stanhas been to a fair few grounds I think. He might have some decent input. Old Trafford has held some ridiculous Ashes test matches since 2005.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If @Lucasis anything to go by, I’d completely avoid Leeds and Yorkshire in general. @Stanhas been to a fair few grounds I think. He might have some decent input. Old Trafford has held some ridiculous Ashes test matches since 2005.

Did the kids have you up at 5am again today by any chance xD

Old Trafford isn't bad to be fair. I saw a T20 there. Headingley, Edgbaston and Old Trafford would be my picks for Tests personally.

Never been to Trent Bridge. Lords and The Oval are a bit too posh.

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Did the kids have you up at 5am again today by any chance xD

Old Trafford isn't bad to be fair. I saw a T20 there. Headingley, Edgbaston and Old Trafford would be my picks for Tests personally.

Never been to Trent Bridge. Lords and The Oval are a bit too posh.

London trip, 5:40am drop off at the station. Fucking knackered. 

My nephew lives in the terraces behind Headingley. Been to a few matches and the Rugby and it’s always been a good atmosphere. It’s just better up north in general.

16 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

London trip, 5:40am drop off at the station. Fucking knackered. 

My nephew lives in the terraces behind Headingley. Been to a few matches and the Rugby and it’s always been a good atmosphere. It’s just better up north in general.

Corrr that's savage xD 

It is better up North for sure, more raucous from my experiences, but I think that's because there's more working class who demonstrate more passion for the Sports and aren't as stiff or afraid to say boo to a goose. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Spike said:

@DeadLinesmanManchester
@Danny London
@Lucas Leeds

17 hours ago, Spike said:

No, I’m being harsh, I’m not interested in Birmingham but Edgbaston is also a fine place. I’m visiting for the Ashes not the towns.

15 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks guys, What place would be the friendliest/most welcoming? Not just the town but the cricket crowds.

Edgbaston is probably the best cricket crowd. Can't remember what order the tests are in but if there's anything riding on that specific test and the day you go on, it'll be a great atmosphere mixed with tension as the game twists and turns. Whenever I've been to Edgbaston I can't fault it - never been let down when it comes to the day experience. 

Most cricket crowds are welcoming though. Lords is posh in general so you're unlikely to have any trouble there. I've been to Old Trafford, The Oval and Trent Bridge too for all formats of the game and even when it's been a bit controversial in the game, there's never been any incident or animosity that I've witnessed or experienced in the crowd. No matter how pissed up I or any fan gets xD. Everyone is there for the cricket and a good time usually. 

I've stayed over at a hotel (I think it was a Gem Hotel) in Manchester when going to Old Trafford. About 10-15 min taxi drive away and its a decent hotel and out of the city centre. As for Edgbaston, I've only ever stayed in Birmingham Travelodge so if you're not wanting a city stay I can't help you there! 

With the London venues I've always been able to get a train back home - Bedford is approx 40mins-1hr on train from St Pancras. Closer places, but still outside of London going north, are St Albans, Luton, Flitwick. London is so easy to travel in/out of in all directions and easy to navigate so either The Oval/Lord's is a decent location for cricket and for a stay outside of Central London. 

As for Headingley, one venue that eludes me! My dad has been a couple of times and loved it.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Spike said:

@DeadLinesmanManchester
@Danny London
@Lucas Leeds

I'm giving you my thoughts any way..

I've only ever been to 1 international team match of any kind, and it was a Cricket ODI at Lords.

As others have suggested, I found it to be a very tolerant, mild, laid back, family friendly sort of experience. Mixed crowd with no agitation at all. Even when England lost.

Be aware over a decade ago the prices were ludicrous. It was much more economical to share multi-bed  rooms in a hostel type thing. Your own pocket food & drinks for the day time may be wise. We were searched. So check what's ok & not ok. £20+ for a portion of chips, etc. I wouldn't expect any to be cheap, but likely a London/Lords price on top.

Other things I do know is Lords is the 1 ground where fancy dress is not allowed. So it may well be less of a party that you would likely get elsewhere. It is near enough that you could fit in seeing the postcard/TV sights of London, as part of it all. But it may just all seem a bit Conservative & almost Royal formality. Perhaps.

18 hours ago, Spike said:

No, I’m being harsh, I’m not interested in Birmingham but Edgbaston is also a fine place. I’m visiting for the Ashes not the towns.

I can't recommend Birmingham as a tourist destination. But I'm fairly sure Edgbaston is considered to be a reliable results pitch. And has a very multi cultural fan base. That may be less evident for England - Australia.

I'd suggest in both London & Birmingham people may take interest in you being there & what your story is. Especially if you sound Australian. The further up North you go, IMO, the more you may find people ready to tell you all about their great region & the great choice you made.

So it depends what you're looking for.

• Like 1