talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben White - Liverpool & Leeds Linked

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c4ad688418ad0e94a4c8ee57d6f1da81.png

Chelsea are contemplating a January move for Bordeaux's Nigeria forward Josh Maja, 20, who was formerly with Sunderland. (90min.com)

Chelsea has also put Brighton's English defender Ben White, 22, who has impressed on loan at Leeds United, on their wanted list for a £25m move when the transfer window opens. (Sun)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben White is an unbelievable talent.

There is no doubt he is the stand out defender in the league this season. I thought we'd struggle losing Pontus but it's quite the opposite. He's improved things. All credit to Bielsa though. 

I would love to keep him but realistically, we will not be able to compete with others. Brighton have an absolute gem and I don't know if they realise it.

I must have said "palace should sign Josh Maja" about 50 times this time last year. How we could let somebody who grew up on our front door travel the length of the country to force a career for himself and then let him go overseas from under our nose is criminal.

Chelsea would make no sense for him. Hes doing fine when given opportunities at Bordeaux. Another two years there and he should be a beast.

• 3 weeks later...

We've had an £18.5m and £22m bid rejected by Brighton for Ben White this weekend.

If the rumours are true, Ben White has asked to leave Brighton on the back of our interest. It's no secret he's fallen in love with life at Leeds and I think he'd love to join.

Brighton will be reluctant to sell to us because we are direct competition, ideally they would want a Liverpool, City or Chelsea to take him.

We will be back to test the waters again and it will be interesting to see how much longer they can resist without caving.

• The title was changed to Ben White - Liverpool & Leeds Linked
3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Matip featured nine games for you last season because of injury problems. Incredibly naive to think you dont need additonal cover.

I think we do need cover due to the injury problems of Matip and Gomez but we won't be spending the sort of money being quoted here. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Fabinho being used more there next season if needed.

Hopefully Gomez is over his problems though. 27 league games this year and 42 overall which is by far his best number of appearances since he arrived

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Matip featured nine games for you last season because of injury problems. Incredibly naive to think you dont need additonal cover.

Tbh I can’t see us signing him at these prices quoted. Matip and Gomez (as well as our recently departed Lovren) are both fairly injury prone tbh so yes... we definitely need a new CB (because I don’t want to rely on that Dutch kid we signed last season who, tbh, looks a bit crap).

But I don’t think it’ll be Ben White, tbh. All of our reliable journos say we’re interested in him, but also that a shitload of sides are interested in him and willing to spend more than we’d be willing to spend. Looks like we’re considering Mandi from Betis.

So my post saying we are interested is a bit outdated. We’re interested... if there’s no bidding war and we can get him for about £20m, which I don’t think we can.

I don’t like Fabinho at the back cause we lose him in midfield and if we aren’t going for Thiago then it’s a definite no go for me. 

A CB should be a priority now Lovren has gone. Matip can’t be relied upon to stay fit. 

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don’t like Fabinho at the back cause we lose him in midfield and if we aren’t going for Thiago then it’s a definite no go for me. 

A CB should be a priority now Lovren has gone. Matip can’t be relied upon to stay fit. 

It makes sense if we sign Thiago that Fabinho could be a fourth option at CB. Even if it doesn't happen though, I think losing Fabinho in midfield would have been a worry a year ago but having seen how Henderson filled in at 6 when Fabinho missed a couple of months last season, I don't think it's really a concern

Fair, but I’d rather not risk that scenario.

The club should be doing their all to bring in a Lovren replacement. And even as a last resort, Van DeBerg is nowhere near ready for the step up from the reserves. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I don’t think we’re signing Thiago unless Gini leaves. Tbh I’d rather have Gini (because we know how he fits in here) rather than bring in Thiago (who’s obviously a brilliant player, but coming to England at 29 isn’t always the a recipe for success).

I think a new CB will come in. And after that I think we’ll be in “sell to buy” mode and whether we bring in a better backup to Origi I think will depend on if we can get good fees from Wilson, Grujic and Shaqiri.

That’s based off what James Pearce thinks we’ll do this summer.

I think Ben White’s our “ideal” 4th choice CB... but he’ll be expensive so I think that’s unlikely.

• The topic was locked

Archived