• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - LB - Quarter Finals

Who makes the semis?  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Marcelo or Giovanni van Bronckhorst?

    • Marcelo
    • Giovanni van Bronckhorst
  2. 2. Paulo Maldini or Roberto Carlos?

    • Paulo Maldini
    • Roberto Carlos
  3. 3. Ashley Cole or Philipp Lahm?

  4. 4. Patrice Evra or Filipe Luis?



Recommended Posts

What the fuck you meant to do with Maldini or Carlos xDxD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy. Vote for the superior player. Maldini 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went van Bronckhorst over Marcelo, narrowly. Roberto Carlos over Maldini - seem to be in the minority but probably because Roberto Carlos caught my attention more due to my age when they were both prominent and him being famous for his free kicks and attacking play. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra were easier to settle on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maldini’s prime was roughly 98-2002. Still onwards he was consistent at an elite level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opted for Marcelo, Maldini, Cole & Evra. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole better than Lahm. In which alternate universe? xD

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Cole better than Lahm. In which alternate universe? xD

I remember him more as a RB than a LB :what:. And Cole was a better LB...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/12/2019 at 17:11, Viva la FCB said:

Ill vote to abstain until Philipp Lahm is added. 

 

On 02/12/2019 at 18:24, RandoEFC said:

Lahm is on the list for LB.

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

I remember him more as a RB than a LB :what:. And Cole was a better LB...

Clever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Torres skinning Lahm alive at LB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh look, I found a gif of someone scoring past Ashley Cole. hE mUsT bE sHiT MegALolZ.

The saltiness is real.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Oh look, I found a gif of someone scoring past Ashley Cole. hE mUsT bE sHiT MegALolZ.

The saltiness is real.

A 35 year old Ashley Cole xD

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lahm was class, so was Cole. But the point of this was to bring up these debates, even if most of the threads have fallen flat because people can't be arsed. January and all that.

As to the position argument, I tried my best with players who played in more than one different position in their career. Wanted to get 16 in each position one way or another. So, sorry, not sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Lahm was class, so was Cole. But the point of this was to bring up these debates, even if most of the threads have fallen flat because people can't be arsed. January and all that.

As to the position argument, I tried my best with players who played in more than one different position in their career. Wanted to get 16 in each position one way or another. So, sorry, not sorry.

Nationalism shouldn’t play a debate, but it always inevitably does. I appreciate Lahm as a world class player that could also play several other positions. Ashley Cole was, in my opinion, the best left back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

A 35 year old Ashley Cole xD

Did Cole have Alzheimers at 35? Because Robben pulled that trick 3 times on him in the 1st half. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BartraPique1932 said:

Did Cole have Alzheimers at 35? Because Robben pulled that trick 3 times on him in the 1st half. xD

Because a 35 year old footballer has the same legs as a 25 year old footballer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Because a 35 year old footballer has the same legs as a 25 year old footballer 

Robben was 31, not 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Lahm loses to Ashley Cole. Alright im out.

Maldini should win this one overall, so it's not that big of a deal

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Lahm was class, so was Cole. But the point of this was to bring up these debates, even if most of the threads have fallen flat because people can't be arsed. January and all that.

As to the position argument, I tried my best with players who played in more than one different position in their career. Wanted to get 16 in each position one way or another. So, sorry, not sorry.

So i get your point but Lahm is inargueably one of the top handful of rbs of all time, to not have him on the rb list is a falacy. Losing to Ashley Cole.. well premier league bias is a thing there is no universe in which ashley cole is a better back at any point in history.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashley Cole 2005-10 was arguably the best LB in the world. 

Hands down. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

So i get your point but Lahm is inargueably one of the top handful of rbs of all time, to not have him on the rb list is a falacy. Losing to Ashley Cole.. well premier league bias is a thing there is no universe in which ashley cole is a better back at any point in history.

I agree that Lahm should probably be on the RB list, as one of the best RBs of all time. Having said that, I think there's a case to be made for Cole being the best left back in the world when he was at his peak.

Either way, Maldini at his best was better than both of them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Lahm loses to Ashley Cole. Alright im out.

I have to agree with the Germans here but for me the laughable part is Evra making semi-finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Ashley Cole 2005-10 was arguably the best LB in the world. 

Hands down. 

Then it's not arguable if it's "hands down"

I have to disagree I'm afraid. Ashley Cole was very good but he's not Philip Lahm and never has been.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maldini should win this one overall, so it's not that big of a deal

I feel dirty to vote for him in these polls to be honest. I've never seen him play, not even once. I have seen some old players before like Maradona but Maldini is not included on that list.

I am going strictly by legacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up next: Messi in the CB's vote, because there wasn't enough room in the poll for the forward of the century and we had to put Welbeck there.

Then: Messi goes out in the 1st round, because of Phil Jones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vader said:

I feel dirty to vote for him in these polls to be honest. I've never seen him play, not even once. I have seen some old players before like Maradona but Maldini is not included on that list.

I am going strictly by legacy.

As someone who did see him play, don’t feel like you’re wasting your vote. Best left back I’ve ever seen & an immense centreback once his legs were gone. Tbh if I had to make a “best defense” out of players I’ve ever seen, there’d be at least 3 AC Milan players in my back 4.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vader said:

Then it's not arguable if it's "hands down"

I have to disagree I'm afraid. Ashley Cole was very good but he's not Philip Lahm and never has been.

 

1 hour ago, Vader said:

I feel dirty to vote for him in these polls to be honest. I've never seen him play, not even once. I have seen some old players before like Maradona but Maldini is not included on that list.

I am going strictly by legacy.

By the sound of it you’ve never seen prime Ashley Cole also 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cicero said:

 

By the sound of it you’ve never seen prime Ashley Cole also 

I have seen him, and he's not better than Lahm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement