talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - LB - Quarter Finals

football forum

Who makes the semis?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Marcelo or Giovanni van Bronckhorst?

• Marcelo
    • Giovanni van Bronckhorst
  2. 2. Paulo Maldini or Roberto Carlos?

• Paulo Maldini
    • Roberto Carlos
  3. 3. Ashley Cole or Philipp Lahm?

4. 4. Patrice Evra or Filipe Luis?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

First of all, I didn't take any offence to the response to this so I think we can shelve that strand of this argument.

Secondly, I'm more confused that anyone can draw a conclusion that I "don't like the debate this has caused" or whatever when I'm literally stating that the debate in this thread has been so entertaining that I'm worried we won't be able to top it in the remaining threads. Anyone care to help me out on that one?

Think there's literally only one person who thinks you don't like the debate this has caused and still refuses to apologise for it. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He wouldn’t know that. Watches one game and basis his opinion on that game alone. 

Bro, I don't take European football seriously. To be honest, I'm only on here now because I like the member base. I try to keep up with European football these days because I'm in Canada and that's what people here mostly follow. I still watch the CL regularly but my bread and butter is in South America or the leagues I follow as a scout (which will be kept a secret).

What I'm trying to say is take this with a grain of salt if you will. I never admitted to being an expert, but I watch enough CL and international football to help me form opinions to discuss on forums or with personal friends, but it's not what I follow professionally. At least not now.

Anyways, thanks for helping me waste time. Off to watch Peru's U23's. Had fun to be honest, and sorry @RandoEFC for being a bit harsh.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

because you didn't get 'English humour'. Wasn't anything to do with that. I think that's a cop-out from you. 

I also said I shouldn't have said some things, but whatever. I did my job and apologized now. Hopefully it's all good and we can continue talking football :) 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vader said:

I also said I shouldn't have said some things, but whatever. I did my job and apologized now. Hopefully it's all good and we can continue talking football :) 

are we allowed to debate :ph34r:?

6 hours ago, Vader said:

That's fair. I used to be a big Liverpool watcher in 2013-14 when Henderson wasn't yet a complete player. From what I saw last year (and the small bits this year) he's come a long way and I even went out to say it's hard to find a weak link in the Liverpool team. However, I just don't think he was as good as the likes of Van Dijk or Firmino. Firmino creates all the goals for himself and others, where as Van Dijk stabilized the defence.

Actually, for me Van Dijk should have won the Ballon D'or (or player of the year whatever it was that he was nominated in). I firmly believe he was that important. So I'd say last year Henderson was the "weaker" link but that doesn't mean he was the weak link for sure. I just think there was better.

Honestly mate i feel I'm not being controversial at all in saying that this year Hendo has been more influential than Bobby. 

That said, they've both been excellent but Hendo would be in my top 3 this season with Mane and Trent, probably even ahead of VVD. (Last season is another story though).

But getting back to the fullback topic....

Should we have an emergency playoff between Cafu and Lahm for final RB slot?

I'd have voted Cole over Lahm too and i'm not precisely a Chelsea fanboy or a pie-eating, tea-sipping cunt neither. Simply because he was a better LB, Lahm was a more complete player as he could play in several positions but if you needed a pure LB then the natural choice would be Cole. I also think Cole was a better LB than Lahm was RB even if that's not entirely comparable.

Good thread this one. I watched more Ashley Cole, so I voted for him. Lahm might be better, I don't know, I couldn't know because I've watched about a fourth as many games of Lahm than Cole. I am also not voting for a player that I haven't seen, just like I wouldnt' vote for Pele, or Maradona just beacuse they are before my time.

But in the interest of the argument, Ashley Cole consistently put Cristiano Ronaldo in his front pocket. Cole would have skill players in their place...but the moment a phyically powerful winger entered the game, Cole was fucked. It is amusing to me that Cole can control Cristiano Ronaldo but struggle against Antonio Valencia.

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Good thread this one. I watched more Ashley Cole, so I voted for him. Lahm might be better, I don't know, I couldn't know because I've watched about a fourth as many games of Lahm than Cole. I am also not voting for a player that I haven't seen, just like I wouldnt' vote for Pele, or Maradona just beacuse they are before my time.

But in the interest of the argument, Ashley Cole consistently put Cristiano Ronaldo in his front pocket. Cole would have skill players in their place...but the moment a phyically powerful winger entered the game, Cole was fucked. It is amusing to me that Cole can control Cristiano Ronaldo but struggle against Antonio Valencia.

Lampard moreso than Cole had Ronaldo in his pocket. 

Always amusing when people play down Lampard’s defensive game 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lampard moreso than Cole had Ronaldo in his pocket. 

Always amusing when people play down Lampard’s defensive game 

I wasn't though? Besides I remember it moreso when Ronaldo was still playing on the wings, I don't recall Lampard much defending near the bylines or corner; though I am not saying he didn't.

Just now, Spike said:

I wasn't though? Besides I remember it moreso when Ronaldo was still playing on the wings, I don't recall Lampard much defending near the bylines or corner; though I am not saying he didn't.

I’m saying in general when people critique Lampard as a footballer. Some say he has no defensive game. 

The common conception as to why Ronaldo only scored once against us was that Ashley Cole did a great job in containing him. Which is true. From my recollection, I remember Lampard having more responsibility in man marking Ronaldo than Cole, to a point where he took Ronaldo out of the game completely. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

I’m saying in general when people critique Lampard as a footballer. Some say he has no defensive game. 

The common conception as to why Ronaldo only scored once against us was that Ashley Cole did a great job in containing him. Which is true. From my recollection, I remember Lampard having more responsibility in man marking Ronaldo than Cole, to a point where he took Ronaldo out of the game completely. 

I loved Lampard & Gerrard, would have liked to have players of that style for our NT as we were kinda short in that department, only Lucho Gonzalez comes to mind in recent times or Banega but he was so hit and miss,

• Subscriber

I have to say I might be one of those ignorant people because I have no recollection of being impressed by Lampard's defensive work. I remember Gerrard playing deeper later in his career and I have a lot more memories of him putting in big tackles than Lampard but I'd be hard pressed to comment on either of their defensive capabilities. As an outsider you only really remember the screamers and the goalscoring regularity in general.

Archived