talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

They don't even come close to being a semi-final team though. So that was a pretty big achievement on it's own.

Maybe I used a harsh term but let's be real. They aren't even close to even Dortmund generally.

Your tinpot team was consistently among the" 20 most worthful footballing clubs in the world" Forbes list in the last 6 years.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge do you know who that Slovenian player was who was supposed be the next big thing but never quite made it?

Is Kevin Kampl the player you are trying to remember? He's actually playing quite well for RB Leipzig. However, his career for the Slovenian national team hasn't been as successful, but only because he has fallen out with the Slovenian FA on a number of occasions.

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

That well known accolade, the semi-finals of the Champions League? 

I genuinely think most people wouldn’t be able to tell you what year you’re even on about. 

God damn, the point reading on this forum is absolutely awful.

First of, for a club like Schalke to reach the CL semi's in this day and age is quite an achievement. He was a very important part in that but in truth they did have a very good side back then not just adjacent to him.

Second, this is what I said:

Farfan and Rooney both had huge potential. While not as good as each other, the former was seen to be the next coming of Cubillas while the latter was seen to become the best player in the world. Both of them had very good careers for what it could have been but neither of them became what they were initially seen at.

Farfan never played for a massive club like United, but Schalke is still a pretty good place to be at for a non-EU player especially not from a massive traditional football nation like Argentina or Brazil. Rooney did play for a massive club and broke records, but he wasn't the best player in the world. So in my eyes, that's like if Mbappe was no longer or doesn't become a top 5 player from here and stagnates or declines.

It's not that hard to see. I've explained it and you still have people claim that I don't think he's a good player which isn't true at all. I agree that he shouldn't have been initially mentioned but I also understood the initial point. I didn't mean to create such a ruckus! xD

Here’s a name our German football fans might recognise. Ali Karimi is another player I’d say didn’t live up to expectation, at least not in his time in Europe.

Dont get me wrong he was still massive for Iran and one of the best players I’ve seen on the Iran national team. But his early career was so bright and then he just got so lazy. I’d hoped for more from him once he made his move to Bayern Munich. But instead that really marked the beginning of his decline.

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Your tinpot team was consistently among the" 20 most worthful footballing clubs in the world" Forbes list in the last 6 years.

We are the definition of tinpot mate, we even have the least fans in our league. That doesn't mean I can't call bigger clubs tinpot!

Again I was being harsh but I think I have a valid point about how it's tough for Schalke to succeed in this day and age.

Barkley is a good shout. I think being a Scouser, an Everton fan (I think) and playing for Everton led to shouts of being the next Rooney and the next Gazza because he was English and played in that position. 

I think it’s more lazy journalism than him not being that good. 

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

Is Kevin Kampl the player you are trying to remember? He's actually playing quite well for RB Leipzig. However, his career for the Slovenian national team hasn't been as successful, but only because he has fallen out with the Slovenian FA on a number of occasions.

I don't know mate. I just remember hearing about him once. 

8 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

God damn, the point reading on this forum is absolutely awful.

First of, for a club like Schalke to reach the CL semi's in this day and age is quite an achievement. He was a very important part in that but in truth they did have a very good side back then not just adjacent to him.

Second, this is what I said:

Farfan and Rooney both had huge potential. While not as good as each other, the former was seen to be the next coming of Cubillas while the latter was seen to become the best player in the world. Both of them had very good careers for what it could have been but neither of them became what they were initially seen at.

Farfan never played for a massive club like United, but Schalke is still a pretty good place to be at for a non-EU player especially not from a massive traditional football nation like Argentina or Brazil. Rooney did play for a massive club and broke records, but he wasn't the best player in the world. So in my eyes, that's like if Mbappe was no longer or doesn't become a top 5 player from here and stagnates or declines.

It's not that hard to see. I've explained it and you still have people claim that I don't think he's a good player which isn't true at all. I agree that he shouldn't have been initially mentioned but I also understood the initial point. I didn't mean to create such a ruckus! xD

I think you have to concede that Rooney did realise his potential. He was world class as a teenager and during most of his 20's. He won the bloody Champions League for crying out loud, scored loads of goals in the Premier League and he was a key player for the England national team for over a decade.

It's true that due to injuries he became pretty average for a fair few years during the latter part of his career and maybe that's what is blinding your judgement of him as a player. But there is little doubt that he reached most people's expectations of him, for a large part of his career. 

Just now, Spike said:

Robbie Kruse, Tommy Oar

I actually asked my Aussie friend and he said Tommy Oar.

Was Kruse actually a flop or was he just that bad later on in his career that people forgot about his good moments?

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I actually asked my Aussie friend and he said Tommy Oar.

Was Kruse actually a flop or was he just that bad later on in his career that people forgot about his good moments?

Kruse was shit and around forever.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

It's true that due to injuries he became pretty average for a fair few years during the latter part of his career and maybe that's what is blinding your judgement of him as a player. But there is little doubt that he reached most people's expectations for a large part of his career. 

I am not blinded at all. I am not one of those people that think he was average or that he "didn't deserve to be England's top scorer" so again. 

Why is it so hard to understand that I think he was world class but he didn't live up to be the "new Pele" as the Guardian put it?

Agree to disagree. That's just my way of thinking.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Kruse was shit and around forever.

Yeah, just looked back and his record has always been shocking. I could have sworn he was good at one point though. Maybe I am confusing it with Max Kruse xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Inti Brian to be honest mate you've explained it very clearly. I'd just give up

He should give up because he keeps digging and is completely wrong. The comparisons made are laughable and Rooney should never be a topic of discussion in here.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

He should give up because he keeps digging and is completely wrong. The comparisons made are laughable and Rooney should never be a topic of discussion in here.

He shouldn't be I agree but the point was I don't feel he lived up to his potential. 

8 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think you have to concede that Rooney did realise his potential. He was world class as a teenager and during most of his 20's. He won the bloody Champions League for crying out loud, scored loads of goals in the Premier League and he was a key player for the England national team for over a decade.

Not only that, Rooney adapted his game and became an overall better footballer vs just a goal scorer. 

He became the man when Ronaldo & Tevez left and won the league plus made it to the CL final with just bloody Welbeck and Chicharito as his partner. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

The point reading here is honestly tragic.

Fair, I need to learn to drop it sometimes hahaha

Wow. Maybe you shouldn't flatter yourself. Pretty sure everyone gets what Gunnersauraus and you are trying to argue here - it just doesn't make any sense for most of us. To admit that Rooney was "exceptional", "great", "world class" and at the same time to also claim that he failed to live up to his potential based solely on the fact that some newspapers at some point dared to toy with the idea of him being "the next Pele" is frankly a very questionable logic at best.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

He shouldn't be I agree but the point was I don't feel he lived up to his potential. 

Just look up Rooney and potential and you'll see a plethora of opinions. It's not ludicrous at all.

A world class player shouldn't be questioned, and literally all I said was that I can see where you're coming from. Yet I get attacked and criticized for a simple and calm opinion. It's honestly hopeless with some people here.

I even agreed that it's laughable to have Rooney at all in this thread and they still don't get it.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Wow. Maybe you shouldn't flatter yourself. Pretty sure everyone gets what Gunnersauraus and you are trying to argue here - it just doesn't make any sense for most of us. To admit that Rooney was "exceptional", "great", "world class" and at the same time to also claim that he failed to live up to his potential based solely on the fact that some newspapers at some point dared to toy with the idea of him being "the next Pele" is frankly a very questionable logic at best.

Everyone has a different way of thinking though.

Personally I don't believe he did, and a lot of other people don't either. Question it if you will but I don't get the need to say I'm absolutely delusional or wrong. This is just how I think.

Archived