talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't have to. Like I said the conversation is going around in circles so I'm gonna leave it at that 

Yeah. I’m pretty certain you do to know what the German media we’re saying back in the early 00’s. After all, their publications are in German......

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Yeah. I’m pretty certain you do to know what the German media we’re saying back in the early 00’s. After all, their publications are in German......

There were lots of reports at the time of media from around the world saying Rooney was gonna be the best player in the world. Don't need to speak German to know that

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge I don't have to speak German, french or Spanish to know what papers  from those countries were reporting at the time.

What? Seriously? This has to be joke, surely? You claim to know what the media in various countries were saying, but can’t speak the language? Would you believe someone who couldn’t speak English if they told you what The Daily Mail was reporting? How can you logically know what a paper or media is saying if you don’t understand the language? I’m completely baffled mate.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

What? Seriously? This has to be joke, surely? You claim to know what the media in various countries were saying, but can’t speak the language? Would you believe someone who couldn’t speak English if they told you what The Daily Mail was reporting? How can you logically know what a paper or media is saying if you don’t understand the language? I’m completely baffled mate.

Because there were pundits from other countries saying what the media were saying. Pretty easy really

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Look above I explained it

Just to repeat what Rucksackfranzose said, I don't remember Rooney being touted as the next best football player in the world by German media at all - and I did watch English football on German channels quite religiously back then. So sorry, I don't buy that. 

Look even if I am remembering it wrong. If you are the best 18 year old on the planet and people say you are are gonna be the best in the world you haven't lived up the hype. Even if I've got it wrong that part is true

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Just to repeat what Rucksackfranzose said, I don't remember Rooney being touted as the next best football player in the world by German media at all - and I did watch English football on German channels quite religiously back then. So sorry, I don't buy that. 

Ok don't then. I'm not really worried 

58 minutes ago, Storts said:

Michael Owen.

Incredible talent at Liverpool, slowly diminishing through his career and injuries to not caring about his football at all.

He started caring more about money than football after he was bombed out of Real Madrid. I actually think Real Madrid treated him fairly poorly (although, I think that's funny tbh because of how he left us). He still had a decent goals to minute ratio with them. But he was always going to be behind Raul & Ronaldo at that time, so it was a bit of a strange move for him to make tbh. But after that it was all a rapid downward spiral from him.

I think on the whole though, he did live up to his potential of being a top level talent as a striker. It's just that the later part of his career was spent mostly on the physios table counting money, rather than still being the same player who won the 2001 Balon d'Or. And it's a bit hard to fault a very good player from never being able to reach the same heights after bad injury (or injuries) - look at Marco van Basten, I wouldn't say he failed to live up to being a top striker just because injury cut his career too short. I don't think Owen was as good as van Basten… but Owen was one of the top strikers in Europe for a fairly long time. I'd say that's living up to potential.

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge you don't have to be rude and start laughing at my posts though

Finding the passive-aggressive "I'm not really worried of what you think" part of your post funny is considered being rude now?...  xD Well damn... how very inappropriate of me.

I think what the media might actually have said was he was the best 18 year old on the planet. Not that he was necessarily gonna be the best player on the planet. He won the FIFA golden boy in 2004. Then Messi came around the year after. So I think I am actually wrong after all that. 

1 minute ago, Azeem said:

Can a player be underrated and underachiever at the same time? 

I'd say so. I thought immediately of Adrian Mutu, who blazed on the scenes in Italy (underrated), but then under achieved due to his drugs issues. 

• Administrator
Just now, Azeem said:

Can a player be underrated and underachiever at the same time? 

Not by the same person I'd imagine?

It'd have to be a fairly polarising player to get the label of underrated and underachiever at the same time. Can't think of anyone that comes to mind.

21 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'd say so. I thought immediately of Adrian Mutu, who blazed on the scenes in Italy (underrated), but then under achieved due to his drugs issues. 

I'd be hard pressed to compare even Mutu to Adu though, which I guess tbf @Azeem's question doesn't really address Adu. But Mutu hit heights Adu never did... and even had a bit of a revival after returning to Italy, after leaving Juve to go to Fiorentina. Granted, his time with Fiorentina had a really really really rough ending as well as he failed a doping test. By comparison, Adu's heights I think are mostly at the beginning of his career - or maybe his eventual move to Benfica (which went poorly).

I think it takes a special sort of underwhelming to really fit the sort of player that Brian was asking for with his thread. Granted, you're just answering that question from Azeem so maybe me making this distinction is a bit of a waste of time xD

It really is hard to find a player that meets that sort of "extremely underwhelming" criteria tbh. Even some of the examples I've given... I'd say they hit higher heights than Adu ended up hitting (especially Ali Karimi tbh - fairly successful player before his big money move and ended up being having his national's team attack built around him).

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd be hard pressed to compare even Mutu to Adu though, which I guess tbf @Azeem's question doesn't really address Adu. But Mutu hit heights Adu never did... and even had a bit of a revival after returning to Italy, after leaving Juve to go to Fiorentina. Granted, his time with Fiorentina had a really really really rough ending as well as he failed a doping test. By comparison, Adu's heights I think are mostly at the beginning of his career - or maybe his eventual move to Benfica (which went poorly).

I think it takes a special sort of underwhelming to really fit the sort of player that Brian was asking for with his thread. Granted, you're just answering that question from Azeem so maybe me making this distinction is a bit of a waste of time xD

It really is hard to find a player that meets that sort of "extremely underwhelming" criteria tbh. Even some of the examples I've given... I'd say they hit higher heights than Adu ended up hitting (especially Ali Karimi tbh - fairly successful player before his big money move and ended up being having his national's team attack built around him).

Ha, no way are they comparable. I was just giving an example of 'maybe' someone that is both underrated AND does not live up to potential. 

Archived