talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Ledley King. Utter class when he did play, he’d have been one of the first names on England’s teamsheet for ten years and potentially won more at Tottenham or moved on and won a shed load if he didn’t have injuries. 

Is it true he couldn't play more than 2 games a week cos of his injuries? And didn't /couldn't train much? 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nudge said:

Wow. Maybe you shouldn't flatter yourself. Pretty sure everyone gets what Gunnersauraus and you are trying to argue here - it just doesn't make any sense for most of us. To admit that Rooney was "exceptional", "great", "world class" and at the same time to also claim that he failed to live up to his potential based solely on the fact that some newspapers at some point dared to toy with the idea of him being "the next Pele" is frankly a very questionable logic at best.

It wasn't just papers. It was fans pundits, everybody.  I remember when he came out it was all Rooney this Rooney that.People from other countries were saying he was gonna be the best in the world. That's really what it was like. And like I said he was the best 18 year old on the planet at the time. I'm not sure of everyone's age on the forum but I'm the same age as Rooney and remember it clearly 

• Administrator
Just now, Inti Brian said:

Question it if you will but I don't get the need to say I'm absolutely delusional or wrong

We do question it but you don't like it xD

Just now, Stan said:

We do question it but you don't like it xD

There's a difference between questioning me like any civilized human then telling me I'm wrong, delusional, need to rethink my life etc.

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Maybe potential is the wrong word. But I don't feel he lived up to the hype 

If you reach a world class level at any point in your career, not least quite a few years after your debut (like Rooney in 2009-12 as Cicero said) could it be said that you did reach the hype though? 

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

There's a difference between questioning me like any civilized human then telling me I'm wrong, delusional, need to rethink my life etc.

You need to rethink your life. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

If you reach a world class level at any point in your career, not least quite a few years after your debut (like Rooney in 2009-12 as Cicero said) could it be said that you did reach the hype though? 

Not when you were supposed to be the best in the world  I don't think. You're younger than me Rooney was tipped to be the best on the world I can remember it very clearly

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

What if you start as a world class player though, like Mbappe?

They still have a potential they can reach. It doesn't just suddenly stop when you become "world class" and you can always better yourself.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It wasn't just papers. It was fans pundits, everybody.  I remember when he came out it was all Rooney this Rooney that.People from other countries were saying he was gonna be the best in the world. That's really what it was like. And like I said he was the best 18 year old on the planet at the time. I'm not sure of everyone's age on the forum but I'm the same age as Rooney and remember it clearly 

I'd say there's a huge difference between not fulfilling your potential and not living up to someone's extremely high (and likely unrealistic) expectations though.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Not when you were supposed to be the best in the world  I don't think. You're younger than me Rooney was tipped to be the best on the world I can remember it very clearly

Really? If so only in England, then. And the English media have a longstanding tradition in laughably overrating English players.

Just now, nudge said:

I'd say there's a huge difference between not fulfilling your potential and not living up to someone's extremely high (and likely unrealistic) expectations though.

I admitted perhaps hype was a better word in the next post. However if you are the best young player in the planet expecting you to become the best in the world isn't entirely unrealistic

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Really? If so only in England, then. And the English media have a longstanding tradition in laughably overrating English players.

How old are you mate. There was media from Germany saying it as well. 

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

I was born in 1969 and nope to the second part, they only called him the bestz English talent of his age group.

Not what I remember mate. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

This is true. It's embarrassing sometimes. And players are written off before they even have a chance sometimes too. 

11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

If Rooney was not "the" best at some point in his career, surely he came very close to being the best. The man was an absolute beast at times and defenders knees would shake at the prospect of playing against him. I am not the biggest Wayne Rooney fan, but I can concede that he was arguably the best in the world at various points during his career. 

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Everyone has a different way of thinking though.

Personally I don't believe he did, and a lot of other people don't either. Question it if you will but I don't get the need to say I'm absolutely delusional or wrong. This is just how I think.

Yet here you are claiming that people in this thread say you're wrong because they can't properly read and understand your points; that comes across as extremely arrogant... We do, we just don't agree with them so we argue with it and question your logic :what: Don't see what's the big deal to be honest.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

If Rooney was not "the" best at some point in his career, surely he came very close to being the best. The man was an absolute beast at times and defenders knees would shake at the prospect of playing against him. I am not the biggest Wayne Rooney fan, but I can concede that he was arguably the best in the world at various points during his career. 

To be honest mate the discussion has gone around in circles so I'm gonna leave it.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

You speak German then?... 

I don't have to. Like I said the conversation is going around in circles so I'm gonna leave it at that 

Archived