talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool - Wednesday 15th July, 2020

football forum

19 minutes ago, Rick said:

Let’s be really honest here. The gap being this big is a mix of us being great but really helped by City and many others just not being at the races. We performed better as a team last season, this season we slowed down and a lot of games have been a slog. 

Our record in the 13 games since that Atlético defeat reads like this; 5W, 2D, 6L. I don’t think I’m a “dickhead” for seeing the signs of this team slowing down. 

City going to strengthen, Chelsea already have, Man Utd will and the likes of Spurs & Arsenal will no doubt bring in new faces. I would be stunned if we retain this title, stunned.

We havent even lifted the trophy yet and already you are blubbering about not signing some new toys! Jesus christ.

The majority of this team hasn't even hit their prime yet and now youth is being added.

When Klopp took over one of his first requests was that the first team and youth team players training facilities were merged so that he could develop the youth alongside the seniors and eventually integrate them into the first team. We are now starting to see this come to fruition. Klopp has always said that he wanted to get the bulk of the first team sorted and then promote from with. Thats how he likes to work, he's not interested in buying all the best players season after season. If he was he could join probably any rich club in the world and do it. 

If you want new expensive signings every summer then Klopp probably isn't the manager for you.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Rick said:

Nah, I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. But I’m not blind as a fucking bat and realise that standing still while everybody else strengthens isn’t the best idea.

You can be as happy as you want watching Origi and Shaq bob about doing next to fuck all most the time, but I want more. Seen so many false dawns with this football club that I don’t want us to throw away this golden opportunity. Sick of being told that I’m ungrateful for wanting the club to build on our success. 

WOW, the season hasn't even finished yet, the transfer window isn't even open yet and you're having a complete meltdow over no new signings 😆 

• The topic was unpinned
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

"Cryarsing" "Meltdown" xD. Some people really do think that there shouldn't be any place for genuine debate.

There could be a debate to be had if we'd ended the season, gone through the transfer window, and no signings had been made. 

We've not even lifted the Premiere League trophy yet and the transfer window hasn't even opened.

All this is because he's pissed off we didnt sign a player for £60m on £170k a week that would have been competing with Salah, Mane & Firmino.

2 hours ago, shut up said:

It's was a game plan that worked. The best team in europe couldn't bypass it. What on earth are you talking about. Class from Arteta. Under wenger we get beat 6-2 or something, but that's okay cos we 'had a go'

Nothing wrong with it just absolutely despised watching it. Funny how Arsenal fans grizzled about Spurs the other day even though they were far more attacking than us. I also have nothing against conservative football and if that's the way Arteta feels it our best way to get results fair enough. Just in future I'd like to see a bit more adventure at least attempt a few counters not just have 11 men behind the ball and pray. 3 shots all game and 31% possession at home is pathetic for me. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

There could be a debate to be had if we'd ended the season, gone through the transfer window, and no signings had been made. 

We've not even lifted the Premiere League trophy yet and the transfer window hasn't even opened.

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead though...

Chelsea seem to have done some good business early on... 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Spot on! No idea how you can moan when the window isn't even open yet. I do believe Klopp and Edwards are quite picky and will only sign someone they believe will improve the squad. I do think a midfielder and another top forward would be massive. 

12 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I've noticed that some people seem to be very negative. Even if Liverpool do not make a single signing this summer, they will probably still win the league next season and I am sure they will still be the bookies favourites to win the EPL even with no new additions. Liverpool are a very well run club and I am sure they will know which players they need to bring in this transfer window. They are one of the best clubs in the world, there's not too much to worry about in all honesty if you are a Liverpool fan right now.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead though...

Isnt promoting youth that Klopp really rates thinking ahead?

He's not thinking ahead though, he's losing his shit. If he'd have said something like "I really think/hope that we strengthen in areas a, b, c etc because....", but he didn't. He went on a rampant slagging off the players already here and even called this title win 'a slog'. He even insinuated that Klopp wasn't happy with the lack of recruitment! I mean come on... Klopp was so unhappy he just signed a new 4 year contract.

None of us know what Klopp and Edwards have planned regarding player recruitment yet Rick is talking like we are fucked on the back of 2 CL finals, a CL win, a Club World Cup and a Premier league win.

The thing is, he did exactly the same thing after the CL win last season when we missed out on the premier League by 1 point. Its almost as if he thinks Klopp doesn't know what he's doing.

16 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He's not thinking ahead though, he's losing his shit. If he'd have said something like "I really think/hope that we strengthen in areas a, b, c etc because....", but he didn't. He went on a rampant slagging off the players already here and even called this title win 'a slog'. 

None of us know what Klopp and Edwards have planned regarding player recruitment yet Rick is talking like we are fucked on the back of 2 CL finals, a CL win, a Club World Cup and a Premier league win.

The thing is, he did exactly the same thing after the CL win last season. 

Klopp has said it in previous windows that we would be doing next to no business...and that’s what happened. He has said the same thing this time around, so guess what...I’m gonna go off his track record of not bullshitting the fans. 

Also, good job of twisting my words into making out that the whole season has been a “slog”. I didn’t say that. The game against Villa, where we needed a last minute Mane header to snatch the win. That’s the type of thing I’m talking about, we have seen more and more of those performances this season compared to last. 

I’m thinking about the future, as as much as I rate the kids we have, those players cannot he relied upon to come in and be super consistent. I’m getting called a lot of names but simply answer me this question; if on of our front three got a major injury (we have been so lucky with not having any) would you be happy and confident that Origi can come in and perform consistently for 10 games. Apart from against Barcelona, Everton & the second goal in the CL Final, he has offered us next to nothing. He’ll always be a cult figure for those big goals, but you cannot tell me you are happy to hang your hat on him. 

Look at City. Aguero gets injured, Jesus comes in. Sterling gets injured, Bernardo Silva comes in. High quality replacements, that Pep manages to keep happy so there’s no reason why Klopp can’t. This whole attitude of “we have a great front three, why do we need more?” Just makes no sense to me.

But like has been said, this isn’t something that’s allowed to be brought up on this forum. The arrogance from a handful of fans is stunning. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Michael said:

I've noticed that some people seem to be very negative. Even if Liverpool do not make a single signing this summer, they will probably still win the league next season and I am sure they will still be the bookies favourites to win the EPL even with no new additions. Liverpool are a very well run club and I am sure they will know which players they need to bring in this transfer window. They are one of the best clubs in the world, there's not too much to worry about in all honesty if you are a Liverpool fan right now.

I think it'll be harder to win the league next season with other clubs improving (of course, a 20+ points difference is a lot to improve but Man City are a team that will come back with a huge point to prove. I don't disagree with any of the other stuff.

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He's not thinking ahead though, he's losing his shit. If he'd have said something like "I really think/hope that we strengthen in areas a, b, c etc because....", but he didn't. He went on a rampant slagging off the players already here and even called this title win 'a slog'. 

The thing is, he did exactly the same thing after the CL win last season. 

True - that is thinking ahead and all things considered I actually agree with both of you! 

It's fine to have youth prospects and promote them but at the same time, it's also fine to want to improve your team with lots of experience and 'ready-made' talent. Especially when it comes to sustainability and maintaining this period of success you find yourself in. The best example is probably Man Utd in the late 90s/early 00s. They had plenty of kids come through - class of '92, well documented - but then they also brought players - Van Nistelrooy, Andy Cole, Stam, Yorke, Barthez, Ferdinand to name just a few!

They continued to have that sustained success of winning trophies extremely regularly. That wasn't just from kids being promoted. I don't doubt Klopp and the backroom staff/scouts/owners have a plan. It'd be foolish and naive not to. And of course with what they've delivered so far they have to be trusted. But not making any signings at all in a transfer window at this great time you find yourself in does, for me, present a risk of staying still as opposed to moving forwards and continuing to get trophies. 

The bonus being that a lot of players are about to hit their peak or in the midst of it. That's what makes the team from the outside so strong. The regularity they have when they play with each other also helps.   

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Klopp has said it in previous windows that we would be doing next to no business...and that’s what happened. He has said the same thing this time around, so guess what...I’m gonna go off his track record of not bullshitting the fans. 

Also, good job of twisting my words into making out that the whole season has been a “slog”. I said it has been. And I don’t know how you can say otherwise. The game against Villa, where we needed a last minute Mane header to snatch the win. That’s the type of thing I’m talking about, we have seen more and more of those performances this season compared to last. 

I’m thinking about the future, as as much as I rate the kids we have, those players cannot he relied upon to come in and be super consistent. I’m getting called a lot of names but simply answer me this question; if on of our front three got a major injury (we have been so lucky with not having any) would you be happy and confident that Origi can come in and perform consistently for 10 games. Apart from against Barcelona, Everton & the second goal in the CL Final, he has offered us next to nothing. He’ll always be a cult figure for those big goals, but you cannot tell me you are happy to hang your hat on him. 

Look at City. Agustin gets injured, Jesus comes in. Sterling gets injured, Bernardo Silva comes in. High quality replacements, that Pep manages to keep happy so there’s no reason why Klopp can’t. This whole attitude of “we have a great front three, why do we need more?” Just makes no sense to me.

But like has been said, this isn’t something that’s allowed to be brought up on this forum. The arrogance from a handful of fans is stunning. 

Look Rick, I do get what you're trying to get across, I honestly do. But we are not Man City. They will happily dump £60m and £170k a week wages on back ups to Sterling etc ... but we simply won't mate! Klopp doesn't work like that, he's said it over and over again. 

What Klopp does do though (and is probably the best in the world at) is developing players, developing youth. Look at the young players he took on at Dortmund and look where they are now! Look what he's done to Trent, Robertson, Mane, Salah etc. 

As I said, there may be transfer business to be done when this season is over, who knows? I mean, we are pretty good at keeping that part of business under wraps lately! Like when we signed Allison after Klopp said he was sticking with Karius? When he said we wouldn't be going back in for VVD? When we signed Fabinho totally out of the blue?

Maybe Klopp can do what he's done his whole career and turn Jones, Neco, Brewster etc into world beaters? 

Just see what pans out mate. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Rick said:

@Stan it’s funny how when you say the exact same as me, you get reputation points while I get called all sorts. 

I don't know mate :(

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Whats wrong with Origi? Didn't everyone wanna suck his cock a year ago?

He's a 'flash in the pan' kind of player. The impact sub as he's proven in the games @Rick mentioned. But give him a start in a run of games I doubt he'll produce the same. I don't blame Rick for wanting to improve on players like that just in case any of the front 3 were out long-term. Shaqiri doesn't seem to be favoured at all by Klopp anymore and he has his own injury issues. Man City's top players don't seem to mind that they don't play week-in week-out and they have understanding of rotation. Maybe Liverpool's players don't and maybe the club don't have the money/are more shrewd and sensible with their money. But I don't blame fans for wanting to improve the club with the players they have. That front 3 won't last forever. Nor will that first XI as we see it now - youth players can help but it's rare you'll get a series of youth players all slot in with no problem - maybe one or two will over the course of next few years but in this day and age, it won't be enough, hence the desire to improve by buying players.  

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Like when we signed Allison after Klopp said he was sticking with Karius? When he said we wouldn't be going back in for VVD?

image.png

:ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think it'll be harder to win the league next season with other clubs improving (of course, a 20+ points difference is a lot to improve but Man City are a team that will come back with a huge point to prove. I don't disagree with any of the other stuff.

Yes, clearly the other clubs just behind Liverpool will be theoretically improving for next season by bringing in some improved additions this summer. As you correctly pointed out earlier, Chelsea have already done well in the market. However, Liverpool as a club and as a squad, are in a very healthy state right now. It's way too early to be worrying about Liverpool, I am sure they will bring in a couple of quality additions in the next few weeks and even if they don't, they are still going to be as strong as ever.

I trust Klopp and his staff, he knows what he is doing. He has consistently improved Liverpool football club year on year since he joined them as manager. There is a lot to be happy and grateful for if you are a Liverpool fan at present.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

image.png

:ph34r:

He just doesn't give much away regarding transfers and he certainly won't spunk money on transfer and wages like City do. 

Our wage structure is built on strict basic pay with high performance bonuses. If a player proves themselves over a sustained period only then are they awarded significant pay rises. There is no way, for example Werner, was coming in at £60m on £170k a week and instantly become our highest earner. Never happening. 

We are not chelsea or City. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He just doesn't give much away regarding transfers and he certainly won't spunk money on transfer and wages like City do. 

Our wage structure is built on strict basic pay with high performance bonuses. If a player proves themselves over a sustained period only then are they awarded significant pay rises. There is no way, for example Werner, was coming in at £60m on £170k a week and instantly become our highest earner. Never happening. 

We are not chelsea or City. 

Errm, Timo Werner is actually on £270,000 a week at Chelsea. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Yes, clearly the other clubs just behind Liverpool will be theoretically improving for next season by bringing in some improved additions this summer. As you correctly pointed out earlier, Chelsea have already done well in the market. However, Liverpool as a club and as a squad, are in a very healthy state right now. It's way too early to be worrying about Liverpool, I am sure they will bring in a couple of quality additions in the next few weeks and even if they don't, they are still going to be as strong as ever.

I trust Klopp and his staff, he knows what he is doing. He has consistently improved Liverpool club year on year since he joined them as manager, there is a lot to be happy and grateful for if you are a Liverpool fan at present.

Agreed, If you discount the slightly off form situation they have found themselves in since the restart you would have to say that mentally and physically they are in very good shape, clearly quite a few steps ahead of everyone else this season for sure and other than becoming complacent going into next season they don't really need all that much tweaking but would agree with @Rick that you are better off not just sitting as is if you can bring additional quality reinforcements periodically to keep the squad fresh and competitive.. It's a fine balance though between disrupting the current squad and working out how long you can maintain the current levels of performance going forward with what you have... always got to try and have that competitive edge in this league.. I am fairly sure City will be chomping at the bit to get back on top and it's always harder to win back to backs... 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Nah, I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. But I’m not blind as a fucking bat and realise that standing still while everybody else strengthens isn’t the best idea.

You can be as happy as you want watching Origi and Shaq bob about doing next to fuck all most the time, but I want more. Seen so many false dawns with this football club that I don’t want us to throw away this golden opportunity. Sick of being told that I’m ungrateful for wanting the club to build on our success. 

We've generally agreed on most things on LFC on here but I think you're going way over the top on this one and are reading too much into the team slowing down once the job was done. We all know that this side plays on the edge and with an unrivalled intensity. Once the need for that intensity is gone there is a slight drop off. There may also be something in the lack of crowd thing that one or two others mentioned.

We've both been critical of the club not so long ago but I think winning the big two in back to back seasons should mean they've earned our trust. That includes Klopp, Edwards, whoever else.

Archived