talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-0 Leicester - Sunday 19th July, 2020

• Subscriber
Just now, Storts said:

Thing is Leicester have been the better team for the majority of that half. We just still thankfully have players of incredible individual ability that can change a game like Kane can with his finishing 

It's true. This is a bit of an anonaly to me tbh. It's incredible it's 3-0 but that's what can happen when you're playing a slow back three against players of Spurs' pace and quality. This ultimately wasn't the game we blew it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The injuries and suspensions have seriously hit us hard. Creativity and influential players ripped out the side. But I don't want to use that as an excuse because we still have players in the squad that should still be able to do the job against some sides. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Surely Leicester will look for better than Harvey Barnes? He just doesn’t have any end product. 

It's quite hit and miss but something I think can improve 

We need to be looking for wingers anyway. Would rather keep Barnes and build our squad as opposed to get rid. 

Well Tottenham have beaten Leicester City comfortably today in North London and it is a well deserved win. However, Leicester City's chances of making the Champions League is still not out of the question. If other results go their way and if they beat Man Utd at home in their final game, then they still have a chance of making next years Champions League. 

Man Utd will probably beat West Ham at Old Trafford, but if they lose at Leicester in their final match, they are still not guaranteed a CL place. Chelsea also have a very tough next match away to Liverpool and their final game against Wolves is not going to be easy either. 

So despite today's heavy defeat to Spurs being a blow, Leicester City still have a chance of playing in Europe's elite competition next season.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kane must have really hated his time on loan at Leicester, that’s a mental record he’s got against them.

Yeah and they used to boo him, probably still do, probably makes it extra sweet 

• Administrator

Game was done in the first half. Tottenham score from 2 counters and against a geriatric central defence, it was very predictable. Bennett can do one, not good enough for us.

Think @Storts said earlier we had the better of the game in the first half but that 2nd goal killed us off. Think we created more but Lloris was one of Spurs' better players besides Kane. Some very good saves especially the one against Perez.

Not exactly disheartened about today's defeat as we have key players out and I'm generally resigned to just finishing 5th anyway, which I'll be satisfied with given the circumstances.  Spurs deserved the win based on being more clinical from the first half as it is and it was typical Jose in the second half to protect the lead. With little creativity from us the 3-0 was never in doubt really.

Can't see Man Utd losing against West Ham on Wednesday. In fact I can see it being about 3 or 4-0 with Martial and Greenwood rested for the Cup game now. I can't see us beating them on Sunday, let alone by a few goals. They'll be proper up for both games if they lose today's game. 

Our squad desperately needs some strengthening. 

• The title was changed to Tottenham 3-0 Leicester - Sunday 19th July, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned
8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Loser mentality has manifested within us sadly.

Don't lose faith for a top 4 finish just yet, you can beat Man Utd at home if you play at your peak. Kane, Moura, Winks and Lloris were just excellent for Spurs today. Tottenham got the tactics and performance right against Leicester City. Leicester City just have to try and be more clinical in front of goal. Good luck at home in your last game, it is probably your biggest match of the season.

Leicester players well on their way to getting another manager sacked it seems. I do wonder if they will pull the trigger if they do miss out on top 4. Although I do think that would be harsh even considering the circumstances. 

The new bumper contract Rodgers received probably gives him some leeway. I don't see him lasting long into next season if things don't improve though. Always thought he has a shelf life at a club, seems to get a lot out of a team but it's never sustained for more than half a season or so. No idea why Arsenal fans were so keen on him, never been a massive fan. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Michael said:

Don't lose faith for a top 4 finish just yet, you can beat Man Utd at home if you play at your peak. Kane, Moura, Winks and Lloris were just excellent for Spurs today. Tottenham got the tactics and performance right against Leicester City. Leicester City just have to try and be more clinical in front of goal. Good luck at home in your last game, it is probably your biggest match of the season.

Sorry but you can't have watched us much if you wonder why we may lose faith for top 4 xD.

Thanks and it definitely is our biggest game in the scenario. But it only becomes a scenario if one of Chelsea/Man Utd lose in mid-week. 

With Kane, Moura etc at their peak, can you imagine what Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Fernandes at their peak would do to us?!

12 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Leicester players well on their way to getting another manager sacked it seems. I do wonder if they will pull the trigger if they do miss out on top 4. Although I do think that would be harsh even considering the circumstances. 

The new bumper contract Rodgers received probably gives him some leeway. I don't see him lasting long into next season if things don't improve though. Always thought he has a shelf life at a club, seems to get a lot out of a team but it's never sustained for more than half a season or so. No idea why Arsenal fans were so keen on him, never been a massive fan. 

I can't see us pulling the trigger if we miss top 4. It seems to be the case that Europe was the objective and regardless of how it's been done, it's been achieved. Yes we were in a fantastic position in January and yes it's utterly shite how we've blown an almost-guaranted CL finish, but we're playing in Europe again and it's guaranteed to be our 2nd-highest ever PL finish. 

Interesting you mention the contract though - it's shortly after that where our form started to dip. 

Our squad was quite thin to begin with and some players just aren't up to the challenge it seems. Far too many inconsistent players, and that's before lockdown came in anyway.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Sacking Rodgers now would be mental but if this form carries on into next season, dare I say he'll be gone by Christmas?

It is a worrying trait we seem to have. A manager does well for the most part and then there's talk of a sacking by Xmas in the following season. Seems to be the barometer. And with European games to come it's gonna be a bigger challenge.

We have to get our recruitment bang on in this break. Otherwise it'll be embarrassing in both competitions.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sorry but you can't have watched us much if you wonder why we may lose faith for top 4 xD.

Thanks and it definitely is our biggest game in the scenario. But it only becomes a scenario if one of Chelsea/Man Utd lose in mid-week. 

With Kane, Moura etc at their peak, can you imagine what Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Fernandes at their peak would do to us?!

I can't see us pulling the trigger if we miss top 4. It seems to be the case that Europe was the objective and regardless of how it's been done, it's been achieved. Yes we were in a fantastic position in January and yes it's utterly shite how we've blown an almost-guaranted CL finish, but we're playing in Europe again and it's guaranteed to be our 2nd-highest ever PL finish. 

Interesting you mention the contract though - it's shortly after that where our form started to dip. 

Our squad was quite thin to begin with and some players just aren't up to the challenge it seems. Far too many inconsistent players, and that's before lockdown came in anyway.

It is a worrying trait we seem to have. A manager does well for the most part and then there's talk of a sacking by Xmas in the following season. Seems to be the barometer. And with European games to come it's gonna be a bigger challenge.

We have to get our recruitment bang on in this break. Otherwise it'll be embarrassing in both competitions.

Yeah I was reading the other day on Twitter, obviously used our apparent interest to bag the new contract. I wonder if that rubbed the players up the wrong way? Crazy how you've tailed off, just goes tor show how far ahead you was to still be in the race for top 4.

I think Leicester have been really unlucky with circumstances.

Ok their form dropped a while ago but Covid has been really cruel to them. 

Without Rona they wouldn't have had to face Kane today for instance. Utd wouldn't have had Rashford back, so their form might not had been as good as it has been. Leicester also suffered a lot of damaging injuries after the restart.

I just think they have suffered massively from the whole Rona business. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Yeah I was reading the other day on Twitter, obviously used our apparent interest to bag the new contract. I wonder if that rubbed the players up the wrong way? Crazy how you've tailed off, just goes tor show how far ahead you was to still be in the race for top 4.

That's the conspiracy, if you can call it that. 

I think it's the mentality of some players and perhaps inexperience - the way we bottled the Villa game was poor and that seems to have had the knock-on effect. Just before that we get pounded by a slick Liverpool side at home and that doesn't help of course. 

I think for as much credit we deservedly get for the first half of the season, I think fans have to understand how frustrated (as fans) we are to have blown it so catastrophically in the second half. Teams do have setbacks but most times you see them bounce back, not go on a sustained run of poor form. It's as if teams sussed us out, which is normal, but then we couldn't find a successful plan B to overcome that. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

I think Leicester have been really unlucky with circumstances.

Ok their form dropped a while ago but Covid has been really cruel to them. 

Without Rona they wouldn't have had to face Kane today for instance. Utd wouldn't have had Rashford back, so their form might not had been as good as it has been. Leicester also suffered a lot of damaging injuries after the restart.

I just think they have suffered massively from the whole Rona business. 

To an extent, but I don't want to blame that for our mess we're in. I'd rather look inwards at our lack of adequate squad depth which we could have prepared for, even if we didn't have such a big lead by January. Losing so many key players in this restart period added to that predicament. We have suffered, but it's more than just lockdown woes. The issues were there before that, sadly.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Stan what are your thoughts on Rodgers then? Get rid of him or back him and give him more time?

Think they are stuck with him now for a while, Didn't they give him a 25 year contract for winning the first few games or something?? 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Stan what are your thoughts on Rodgers then? Get rid of him or back him and give him more time?

No chance of getting rid. He's got us to Europe (which no doubt was an objective) and it's just a shame it's not CL after our positive start.

Would be ridiculously expensive to get rid of him anyhow. I think he deserves a chance at managing us in Europe but I fear for him if we don't get off to a good start in the league as well.

There's no point us being in Europe just for the sake of it if our league form is going to suffer because of it. It makes our recruitment before next season all the more important.

Archived