talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

13 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Saw the above hashtag on Twitter. Why do Chelsea fans always pin the blame on one person? So Marina is choosing all these players, is she? xD

Rabid social media fans (of all clubs) love to have a scapegoat.

19 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Saw the above hashtag on Twitter. Why do Chelsea fans always pin the blame on one person? So Marina is choosing all these players, is she? xD

Because she has a face. That's why. She is still a reason as to why our transfer activity has been poor these past few years. 

Didnt see our game against Inter, but heard our 'liability' players were in full force. Bakayoko, Alonso, and Drinkwater in particular. Also heard Jorginho looked frustrated from the lack of pressing by some players? 

Going to watch it then give my take on it 

Latest news knocking about... 

Gonzalo Higuain is ready to reject AC Milan as he prefers a move to Chelsea, according to reports. The Juventus striker is on Chelsea’s summer shortlist and the two clubs have held talks about a possible transfer before the transfer window closes. Earlier this week, reports in Italy claimed that the Serie A champions would be willing to let Higuain join AC Milan on loan for the upcoming season. But La Stampa report that the 30-year-old is ‘not convinced’ by Milan’s proposal and would prefer to join Chelsea instead as he would like the challenge of playing in the Premier League. The report also claims that the Argentina international is demanding a salary package worth £135,000 a week.

Should Higuain end up making the move to Chelsea, he would be reunited with Maurizio Sarri – the manager he thrived under at Napoli. Under Sarri’s guidance at Napoli, Higuain broke Serie A’s scoring record in a single campaign with 36 goals in the 2015-16 season. When asked about a potential move for Higuain on Saturday, Sarri replied: ‘I’m still waiting for the best Morata.

Chelsea will have to cough up £45million for Juventus star Daniele Rugani after holding talks with the Serie A giants in Italy. Maurizio Sarri has identified the 23-year-old as his primary defensive target after voicing concerns about the strength of Chelsea’s central defence. Sarri’s late appointment means Chelsea have had to accelerate their transfer business and Blues director Marina Granovskaia was in Italy on Thursday to speak to Juventus. The meeting was primarily to discuss Rugani, as Chelsea believe the Old Lady are more than willing to sell Gonzalo Higuain for the right price.

16 hours ago, Cicero said:

Didnt see our game against Inter, but heard our 'liability' players were in full force. Bakayoko, Alonso, and Drinkwater in particular. Also heard Jorginho looked frustrated from the lack of pressing by some players? 

Going to watch it then give my take on it 

Second half both teams were going through the motions a bit, with the highlights being in that second part some good individual performances coming from Hudson-Odoi and I thought Rudiger did well when he came on, with Abraham doing relatively well as well.

As for the game as a whole, Hudson-Odoi was the main positive and we played well in the first half at a good tempo for the most part, with that tempo dropping as the first half and overall game went on. Thought Bakayoko (yes despite the mistake) was OK, Caballero looks a little low on confidence, Alonso and Drinkwater were just their usual self. Not bad but they have their level and that's it. 

Think I know the team Sarri will play on the opening day if everyone's fit, with the centre backs being the only position where I don't know who he'll use. It will be between Luiz, Ruidger and Christensen, not sure who he'll favor. We'll also have to see how the Christensen injury is which hopefully isn't a bad one. 

Edited by carefreeluke

Whether it be with us or another club, Odoi and Ampadu are going to be big names. 

Bit over exaggeration from some of our fans, I thought we were great the first half. Just lacked the same penetration in the final third. 

For it being only 3 weeks, I think there is already a good understanding of Sarri's football. Jorginho is such an intelligent midfielder. A general in the midfield and you could hear him screaming at everyone to press. 

Barkley and Cesc looked decent. The later obviously faded in the end of the first, but the important thing is both looked comfortable. 

Alonso was Alonso. Doesnt close down the space well enough to be a great left back. 

Its going to be interesting to see what Sarri has planned for Bakayoko and Drinkwater. The latter I hope we sell, but there is a footballer in Bakayoko. It's obvious he is low on confidence, but I find no benefit in keeping him this season when he lacks the intelligence and technical ability to perform. Needs to go out on loan. 

Overall, we did well. 

Edited by Cicero

Another nothing game, but a few interesting points.

Jorginho looks the part, however it does spring the question where does Kante fit in as one would presume Jorginho will start in the middle of a three.

Looks like we have become a zonal marking defence at corners. It was painful to watch as Inters runners darted infront of stational defenders reminding very much of Liverpools defending at corners in seasons past. I am sure I dont have to remind anyone how that was exploited by all comers. This is something I'll be taking a firm interest in over the next few games.

The screaming of Sarri throughout the game telling the defenders to get up the pitch reminded me of AVB cutting his throat before his season started. This is nothing new from Sarri from what I have been told, so lets hope the defenders we have can adapt quickly as our 18 yard box line has been their friend for the last two seasons. Maybe this is why we are chasing the CH at Juventus. We will see.

The high line which Inter chose, like most clubs when faced with this, to run past with either a ball over the top or ball threaded through causing a foot race between forwards n defenders brought about another alarm. The distance between our defenders in the foot race and midfield once they had chased the ball down was shocking. Lost count of the number of times the ball was pushed back by Inter onto their free midfielders. Our three Midfielders were far worse at this than the guys who covered those positions in the 2nd half.

Like all clubs at this time we sure need the games coming up and the returning players from the world cup. From what I saw of Arsenal, they are much further forward than us which might make the Dublin game illuminating.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

Another nothing game, but a few interesting points.

Jorginho looks the part, however it does spring the question where does Kante fit in as one would presume Jorginho will start in the middle of a three.

Looks like we have become a zonal marking defence at corners. It was painful to watch as Inters runners darted infront of stational defenders reminding very much of Liverpools defending at corners in seasons past. I am sure I dont have to remind anyone how that was exploited by all comers. This is something I'll be taking a firm interest in over the next few games.

The screaming of Sarri throughout the game telling the defenders to get up the pitch reminded me of AVB cutting his throat before his season started. This is nothing new from Sarri from what I have been told, so lets hope the defenders we have can adapt quickly as our 18 yard box line has been their friend for the last two seasons. Maybe this is why we are chasing the CH at Juventus. We will see.

The high line which Inter chose, like most clubs when faced with this, to run past with either a ball over the top or ball threaded through causing a foot race between forwards n defenders brought about another alarm. The distance between our defenders in the foot race and midfield once they had chased the ball down was shocking. Lost count of the number of times the ball was pushed back by Inter onto their free midfielders. Our three Midfielders were far worse at this than the guys who covered those positions in the 2nd half.

Like all clubs at this time we sure need the games coming up and the returning players from the world cup. From what I saw of Arsenal, they are much further forward than us which might make the Dublin game illuminating.

Yeah I forgot to comment on that and it's something which I noted during the game, obviously the players are still getting use to the new style. Wouldn't surprise me if Bakayoko's mistake was down to the new playing style as well, I don't think I've ever saw him once attempt a one touch pass last season, seemed to always need one or two touches to get himself set but Sarri is all about triangles and moving the ball quickly.

As for Kante he'll play a bit further forward, Jorginho will play the deeper role no doubt. Kante's distribution and ability on the ball isn't what Sarri and the system needs there. Kante's pressing, energy and athleticism will be used further forward and there's actually some evidence in his career so far to suggest that he actually suits that role a lot more, rather than being shoehorned into a solely defensive positional role as we've seen with us and France in the past. However, yeah interesting to see how Kante is used and how he performs.

I think we lack a top striker (since Costa's departure) but Morata deserves another season to show his worth and we have other options there if need be. The two positions that worry me are at full back, I don't know how Azpi will perform in a more open system at right back and everyone knows my thoughts on Alonso. Moses was brought on further forward by Sarri last night so interesting to see his role this coming season as well. Moses mind was also used a lot by Conte as a right winger in Conte's first few months as manager. The other is the third midfield position, you can't rely on Fabregas to be starting every week throughout the season, Barkley we don't know which way he'll go and I doubt the new manager will trust Ruben Loftus-Cheek there. 

Finally the first eleven on the starting day is going to be interesting, I know we have players coming back late from the World Cup but Sarri very much likes to keep continuity with the starting eleven and doesn't rotate too much.  

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Finally the first eleven on the starting day is going to be interesting, I know we have players coming back late from the World Cup but Sarri very much likes to keep continuity with the starting eleven and doesn't rotate too much.  

This is a bit misconstrued. At Napoli, injuries and his lack of depth is really what caused Sarri to continue to play the same starting XI week after week. Especially last season. 

When you only have Zielinski and the ghost of Christian Maggio to call upon, reckon any manager would of done what he did. 

• Upvote 2

MIxed game against Inter, solid first half but average in the second. Inter scored and had some good chances denied the winner at the end. Overall we created more, controlled the game better with a mixed team. Shame Sarri won't have the best available until the season starts. Pleased for the new system hated 343, noticed with the high pressing game we could easily be killed on counters. Hope we get the team gelling in a new system and we kick off the season in style. Title would be too much to expect from Sarri in my opinion, isn't the same calibre as Conte who knows how to win trophies but the best of luck to him. We have Arsenal next before the competitive CS, with Lyon just two days after it. Sarri should heavily rotate, so we don't suffer from fatigue in the opening games.

19 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah I forgot to comment on that and it's something which I noted during the game, obviously the players are still getting use to the new style. Wouldn't surprise me if Bakayoko's mistake was down to the new playing style as well, I don't think I've ever saw him once attempt a one touch pass last season, seemed to always need one or two touches to get himself set but Sarri is all about triangles and moving the ball quickly.

As for Kante he'll play a bit further forward, Jorginho will play the deeper role no doubt. Kante's distribution and ability on the ball isn't what Sarri and the system needs there. Kante's pressing, energy and athleticism will be used further forward and there's actually some evidence in his career so far to suggest that he actually suits that role a lot more, rather than being shoehorned into a solely defensive positional role as we've seen with us and France in the past. However, yeah interesting to see how Kante is used and how he performs.

I think we lack a top striker (since Costa's departure) but Morata deserves another season to show his worth and we have other options there if need be. The two positions that worry me are at full back, I don't know how Azpi will perform in a more open system at right back and everyone knows my thoughts on Alonso. Moses was brought on further forward by Sarri last night so interesting to see his role this coming season as well. Moses mind was also used a lot by Conte as a right winger in Conte's first few months as manager. The other is the third midfield position, you can't rely on Fabregas to be starting every week throughout the season, Barkley we don't know which way he'll go and I doubt the new manager will trust Ruben Loftus-Cheek there. 

Yes the lack of a striker who will put away the chances I guess we could create on the break will probably burn us over the season. I have always said players who sign for a club In England from abroad should get a full season to acclimatize.  We need to hope our one footed CF will be more prolific this season. It's alarming the amount of good chances he failed to put away last season, but with a little bit of confidence, maybe he will come good.

For someone who says he isnt interested in the transfer market, Sarri's list of players he wants has suddenly started to resemble the length of his predecessor.

Matias Vecino and Mattia Caldara anyone?

6 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

For someone who says he isnt interested in the transfer market, Sarri's list of players he wants has suddenly started to resemble the length of his predecessor.

Matias Vecino and Mattia Caldara anyone?

Is Sarri interested in Butland, Pulisic, Bernard, and Pickford as well? I know you don't like the bloke, but let's not fabricate stuff. 

The manager has no say in transfers. It's been made abundantly clear.  Even when the board were specifically targeting players in Italy, Conte had publicly stated he had no idea the qualities Zappacosta and Emerson bring. 

Edited by Cicero

41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Is Sarri interested in Butland, Pulisic, Bernard, and Pickford as well? I know you don't like the bloke, but let's not fabricate stuff. 

The manager has no say in transfers. It's been made abundantly clear.  Even when the board were specifically targeting players in Italy, Conte had publicly stated he had no idea the qualities Zappacosta and Emerson bring. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-open-matias-vecino-transfer-talks-and-bid-355m-for-mattia-caldara-as-they-step-up-search-for-a3899016.html

Read n learn & then shhhhhhh

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No direct quotes nor any official club statements. Definitely credible. 

But what do I know, I'm just in my 20's ~ :ay:

The steam off Simon Johnson's piss knows more about Chelsea football club than you will ever know.

But you continue to spout what you think is right. No one cares   :bye:

2 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

The steam off Simon Johnson's piss knows more about Chelsea football club than you will ever know.

But you continue to spout what you think is right. No one cares   :bye:

You come across as a very confrontational individual sometimes...  You make out as though your knowledge of the club and it's goings on are secret treasure trove only to be opened by you.. 

If someone should have a alternate opinion to you and god forbid those opinions should be uttered on this football forum where the last time I looked differing opinions were very much welcomed then you seem to start making it personal... If I had a pound for every Chelsea supporter that claimed to be the most knowledgeable and had that 'thou shalt not' be argued with attitude then I would have had a few hundred quid tucked away over the years by now.. 

Some of your posts are well structured with some decent points and given you have been knocking about for a good few years I am surprised you don't use your experience and just agree to disagree... If you were a Chameleon you would probably be a bright yellow one because you sure seem to have trouble blending in sometimes.. 

*Please note that these comments do not necessarily reflect the views of other Chelsea supporters on here and any negative feedback including neg reps, abuse or other attempted clever or insulting witty replies will be met with my usual yawn before moving on. No loss of sleep or emotional turmoil will be forthcoming either... I had a spare 10 minutes while waiting for my Beef&Tomato Pot Noodle to be ready and your post prompted a reply I had time for in an otherwise hectic schedule.. 

Edited by Bluewolf

Few things from last nights effort.

Firstly and by far most importantly if we don’t find someone to stick the ball away it’s going to be a season where we leave Stamford Bridge shaking our heads more often than not. I have singled out our one footed CF since around half way through his first season and by now we would hope he would be showing signs of improvement. Alas, last night a few days after a performance that gained praise from his manager, Morata put in a shocker. I see us having plenty of problems, but by far our lack of a natural goalscorer is the biggest worry.

I picked up on the running back towards our goal when holding a high line in a previous posting here and again last night we saw our midfield nowhere near our defenders when the footrace reached our goal area. Obviously Fabregas cant run, we already knew that. Barkley plays further forward than the other two which means we must focus on Jorginho, who I must say looked leggy last night. While he looks the part with the ball at his feet, it’s going take a few more games for me to be convinced he is all he needs to be without it before I accept him for that middle midfield birth. I asked where Kante would fit in? Well last night I felt the answer was made plain. Time will tell how this manager solves it.

I wanted to write a little on Barkley. Last night I was involved in a huge discussion elsewhere on the merits of having Barkley at our club. There are some who believe he would have been better off somewhere else, at maybe a club who would more suit his style of play. That’s a style of play we have seen him produce before at Everton. I believe there is more to him than just that and I think we saw some of whats left to be exposed during last nights game. I do feel Barkley would prefer Giroud infront of him as I think Giroud would be easier to find and more of a chance of receiving the ball back from him. Much has been made of this managers fav line of give me players and I will improve them, which fans of his fire from the hip as thou it’s their winning gun. I put forward Ross Barkley as the player this manager needs to show in his best light. Most good judges accept there is a top player in Barkley. I am sure those who’s decision it was to bring him to Stamford Bridge are expecting Sarri to work his magic he likes to speak of.

Willian: Last night the Chelsea boards were full of allegations of skulduggery fueling clubs to chance their arm in bidding for our sometimes brilliant sometimes benchwarmer Brazilian. Interesting stuff.

Lastly C H-O, Now I have watched this boy grow up on CTV and he, like many before him have excelled in his own age group. Last night many a pundit had their dicks out after the game nailing their one eyed snakes to the boy for success. Please let me give you his game in two descriptions. One, runs down left flank and cuts inside onto his strong right foot and attempts to curl ball into far corner, something he has done regular at his level. Two, runs outside of defender on left flank checks back in a outside circle passing ball back to supporting midfielder or left wing back. That's his game. Now I do not dispute for one minute there is a raw material there, who if nurtured correctly has every chance at becoming a top player. I am just pointing out, once his current talent is exposed to our opposition his cutting in on his right foot will be snuffed out with ease. Fingers crossed he has more about his game yet to be made public as we sure need a home grown to come good.