talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Overall it was a decent summer, got rid of that rat Thibo for a new young keeper that could be very good for us in the long term. Brought in Jorginho and Kovačić to boost the midfield, and by all things kept Hazard and Willian who were a bit harder to replace. The attack options are even tough in numbers limited. Giroud doesn't fit Sarri's policy, Abraham is too young too start while we have Morata who has been finding himself for the past year. High hopes that Mitchy finds his Dortmund form for the new season.  

Maurizio Sarri admits there may be trouble ahead for Chelsea in the early stages of the season as they try to learn the specifics of his style after a disrupted summer.

Sarri shared fears that it could be two months before his team are at full power and has told the board at Stamford Bridge he wants big changes to next year's pre-season schedule. He pointed to a lack of goals and wants to see his team move the ball more quickly.

'I hope the second part of the season will be very good with a lot of points,' said Sarri. 'I expect in the first part of the season some problems. For sure, in this moment, we are not at the top of our potential. We did a pre-season... what can I say? Unusual, maybe. So now we are not at the top.'

Goals were a problem for Chelsea last season, and have not flowed freely in pre-season, with only three in five games, excluding penalty shootouts.

'We have to play at another speed,' said Sarri. 'At present the players think too much about what to do. So the ball doesn't move at the right speed.

'If we are able to play (faster), maybe scoring will not be a problem for us but at this current speed, it may be a problem.'

'I arrived in the middle of July, so the problem was there and I have to accept it but for the future it will be better to change it. They (the board) know it,' said Sarri.

'My perfect programme of pre-season is not completely in line with the programme of the club,' said Sarri. 'So we have to arrive at a compromise.'

Looks like Kovacic does intend on leaving Real permenately. Especially after his Instagram post. 

Lots of rumors indicating we are initially loaning him to meet FFP regulations for the fiscal year. Come next year, we plan on triggering his release clause. Which is apparently 50 million. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Looks like Kovacic does intend on leaving Real permenately. Especially after his Instagram post. 

Lots of rumors indicating we are initially loaning him to meet FFP regulations for the fiscal year. Come next year, we plan on triggering his release clause. Which is apparently 50 million. 

It's Italian style, you should know it by now. Loan in now, buy next season. I swear that is how most Italian transfers go through.

Didn’t think much of our weekend performance. The opposition I graded as 19th best side before the season so in truth our 2nd eleven should have gained a positive result, let alone a first string.

It’s probably best not to say too much about the game as I doubt we will get an easier away fixture through the season. Huddersfield didn’t offer much of an attacking threat although I was happy to see a header hit the post which if it had gone in we might have seen a different outcome. Our defence does not look water tight, with Alonso, while a huge threat on the left side going forward, is the weak point that I am sure will be exposed by better teams. I am not surprised he got the nod over Emerson who is equally as bad at defending. If truth be told all our defenders have a weakness or two, we will just have to hope the manager can drill them into a semi effective unit. From what we saw Saturday, Jorginho offers little infront of the two CH’s defensively when you compare last season Kante & a n other. Obviously this has the formation to take into account, but is another weak point we can expect to be targeted.

In pointing out these weaknesses, I have to say I chuckled at the managers substitutions. The previous manager, well a number of our previous managers would have brought on a holding midfielder or something to close up, defend what we had. Granted the opposition hardly warranted any closing of shop, but it will be interesting what he does if we are defending a weaker lead against one or two of the better clubs considering his reputation. Disappointed Barkley was removed. I thought he played very well and his flick for the penalty was sublime.

Lastly the loan move for Mitchy when Morata is as poor as he is, is a head scratcher. Giroud and Tammy are our options. I like Giroud and feel he is our best option. However, he isn’t very mobile. Tammy is raw and while I would be thrilled to have him leading the line, his performance against Lyon showed him to have the ball control of Jimmy Floyd.

3 points is 3 points!

So Bakayoko leaves on loan after just the one season. Have to say after his performance at Wembley last season in the win over Tottenham I thought we had a steal. Alas umpteen poor displays over the rest of the season sunk my opinion and some say his career at our club. By all accounts he was dragged kicking n screaming to the plane destined for Italy and still holds hopes he will get another chance with us. Surprised Milan are taking him baring in mind he has proved to have the ball control of a non stick Pan.

I expect he will start of play well now. 9_9

Looks like our new manager is using the softly softly approach to keep the players sweet to try to create a better atmosphere than that which existed under the previous manager.

A new menu is now available at the training ground canteen and the bugbare of many a Chelsea player, requiring them to stay in a hotel before next day evening games has been deleted from their must do list.

The very strict ragime on nutrition has been relaxed with many delicious treats made available throughout the week to keep everyone happy, in a sweet tooth kinda thing.

Chelsea Harbour hotel may well be loosing their best customer as it seems Conte couldnt have a home or evening game without the players sleeping there. Many of the players, especially those with a young family complained about this Conte rule.

It's to be seen if this more relaxed stance by Sarri works wonders and keeps everyone onside on what he is trying to do.

I just hope they keep Loftus - Cheek away from the pies before he is sold or sent on loan!

Edited by The Liquidator

I am not a big fan of the current loan system,  think it is something that needs to be looked at by FIFA and/or UEFA.

There needs to be restrictions on the number of players a team can loan out, who they loan players to and the age of the players involved.

18 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I am not a big fan of the current loan system,  think it is something that needs to be looked at by FIFA and/or UEFA.

There needs to be restrictions on the number of players a team can loan out, who they loan players to and the age of the players involved.

They have a meeting in October about it. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Or when a big club loan in Henrik Larsson... :ph34r: