talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What'd be worse, Ricketts or Woody Johnson?

The problem is that despite their wealth their interest in anything they own seems to be sort term and the long term investment wouldn't be there...

Now I don't mind that we don't spend millions and if we have to take a few steps back for a while then so be it that's not really the issue but if you want the team to remain competitive then ongoing interest and investment will be required or the club will go into a slow decline... It's a sad fact that the market prices for players including wages/transfer fees and agents fees are very costly so in the short term that investment might be there so that some fans might get duped into that feel good factor initially.. I would be more concerned that our youth team won't get the love it needs and if we are going to take a step back from big money signings then our youth team will be more important than ever but if that goes up the tits then not only will we have no power in the transfer market but we won't have any talented youth coming through the ranks... the side effect of that also means that of we can't hold on to them then the most talented among them will just vanish to other teams that could offer better terms and we will just fade as a force in football... 

I can take running under a different model that is less lavish with the cash but if the new owners have no real interest in the club then we will become like Newcastle under Mike Ashley.. 

Edited by Bluewolf

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Note those four are only the frontrunners according to the Athletic. Not the confirmed four. 

Boehly-Wyss Consortium probably the favorite. 

I think those bidding have had a chance to improve their initial bids before it goes to the wire... If Abramovich does have the final say it will be interesting to see who he thinks should take over the club.. 

21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The problem is that despite their wealth their interest in anything they own seems to be sort term and the long term investment wouldn't be there...

Now I don't mind that we don't spend millions and if we have to take a few steps back for a while then so be it that's not really the issue but if you want the team to remain competitive then ongoing interest and investment will be required or the club will go into a slow decline... It's a sad fact that the market prices for players including wages/transfer fees and agents fees are very costly so in the short term that investment might be there so that some fans might get duped into that feel good factor initially.. I would be more concerned that our youth team won't get the love it needs and if we are going to take a step back from big money signings then our youth team will be more important than ever but if that goes up the tits then not only will we have no power in the transfer market but we won't have any talented youth coming through the ranks... the side effect of that also means that of we can't hold on to them then the most talented among them will just vanish to other teams that could offer better terms and we will just fade as a force in football... 

I can take running under a different model that is less lavish with the cash but if the new owners have no real interest in the club then we will become like Newcastle under Mike Ashley.. 

Woody Johnson owns the NFL's Jets and in the entire time I've lived in America the Jets have been consistently one of the worst sides in the NFL. Just completely a completely unambitious side, it seems they really only function as a side to pick a defense that's playing against them in the US version of fantasy football.

I think a lot of potential American owners just see the money in the league without really understanding that you've got to be competitive to get the big prize money and that being a typical unambitious US sports side owner that can just collect TV money even when their side is shit doesn't really work out. Look at Gillett and Hicks with us. Or United, they spend a lot - but that was like what the Ricketts are intending on doing... a leveraged buyout so they don't put a penny in and they'll pay off their loans with money made from Chelsea.

I know none of the potential buyers are really ideal, because let's face it... you can't spend a few billion on something and be a decent person, you're probably a blood sucking parasite that'd sell your own mother for the right price when you've got that kind of money. But I'd be hoping for anyone other than RIcketts or Johnson from that list @Ciceroposted.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Woody Johnson owns the NFL's Jets and in the entire time I've lived in America the Jets have been consistently one of the worst sides in the NFL. Just completely a completely unambitious side,

That's why I would think we would go into decline under them... been reading a lot about them recently and it seems the initial interest appears to be there but the long term is not... that could only lead to decline or as you say a total lack of ambition... 

50 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think those bidding have had a chance to improve their initial bids before it goes to the wire... If Abramovich does have the final say it will be interesting to see who he thinks should take over the club.. 

From what I read, both Ricketts and Johnson are considered front runners due to their relationship with Raine Group and the UK Government. However, the decision ultimately lies with Bruce Buck. Ricketts I feel will miss out due to their pretty damming past islamophobia behavior and I don't expect Roman or the club to trust Johnson given how he's poorly run the Jets. 

Top 2 for me: 

Boehly-Wyss seems the safest bet. They've done their due diligence already with bids in the past, so they know the infrastructure of the club. From their comments, they are striving towards self sufficiency and efficiency, which is something we have been wanting for years. Can easily see why they are considered the favorites. 

Centricus seems promising. All involved are Chelsea fans with massive backing. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Ricketts I feel will miss out due to their pretty damming past islamophobia behavior

I'm not sure that'll rule him out if Abramovich still gets a say tbh. It's not like Ricketts making offensive statements is as bad as what Abramovich has done in funding the oppression and displacement of Palestinians.

Not going to speculate too much on the others but I'd be skeptical if Sir Martin Broughton's group were given preferential status. Based on how Harris & Blitzer have ran Crystal Palace you will be in safe hands, however they will not be willing to rack up anywhere near the sort of debt Roman Abramovich does on a yearly basis. They came to the UK, in their naivety they got absolutely burned in the first eighteen months (the stand that never was, spending over 100mil on players with little to no sell on value) and then spent the next couple of years recuperating that money. 

The priority for whoever takes over is going to be building a new stadium. I really like Stamford Bridge. My work office overseas it at the minute. It's a lovely area surrounded by nice people and has a unique feel to it despite only being developed in the late 90's. For a club with ambitions to be the best in the world though having the fourth biggest ground in London will eventually become a setback when you consider all the revenue streams available at multi purpose bigger sport stadiums. So whoever takes over is going to have to initially spend a big amount and wait a long time for a return on ROI. Harris & Blitzer will do that but I think they'll also do it under the acceptance they'll see a long period without silverware which will be an alien concept to Chelsea fans under 25.

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm not sure that'll rule him out if Abramovich still gets a say tbh. It's not like Ricketts making offensive statements is as bad as what Abramovich has done in funding the oppression and displacement of Palestinians.

Be that as it may, publicly saying all Muslims are the enemy isn't going to bold well, particularly when you want to take over a successful club where the fans are very hesitant on who the new owner is. 

It's the very reason screening processes exist. Their bid has been universally protested against by the Chelsea Supporters Trust, add the Muslim community and Muslim players we have on the team and staff members, I cannot see them making the final cut. 

In fairness, the statement was made by their father, who they have tried to distant themselves from. 

image.png.3704399960eba40af8f23de0da37fb

Americans is a ballsy move.   While Henry is a success only when you consider how well John Henry has run the Boston Red Sox, Hicks and Gillette were the polar opposite.   

The Glazers and Kroenke aren't exactly appeasing the masses.  Chelsea FC world got rocked hard

47 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think we will know the confirmed 4 by the end of the week. 

I understand the period has been extended due to the complications of the sale... Would be nice if they could wrap it up soonish though just so we all know where we stand and the club can start planning for whatever the future holds good or bad... 

The easing of the restrictions means Chelsea can sell tickets but won’t receive the cash. Chelsea cannot sell new tickets for home Premier League games to its fans — beyond existing season ticket holders — but away fans can now buy tickets (AP) #CFC

— ChelsTransfer (@ChelsTransfer) March 23, 2022

Chelsea has been granted a license to continue operating as a club but with strict limitations on its commercial ventures. However, a government document seen by The Associated Press shows the terms of the license now allows Champions League tickets to be sold again. #CFC #UCL

— ChelsTransfer (@ChelsTransfer) March 23, 2022

19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm hoping they get the rickets or whatever they are called as they are most likely to do a lot of damage xD

I don’t like Chelsea at all, but I don’t want to see them left to some pleb who will kill them off. 

22 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don’t like Chelsea at all, but I don’t want to see them left to some pleb who will kill them off. 

Why? They had a Russian pleb who elevated them to heights they could've only dreamt of by borrowing them 1.5 billion pound. 

Fuck'm

• Upvote 1