talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

In our current set up, I wouldn't classify Hazard as a winger. More of a LF. 

He has limited responsibilities to defend now, and Alonso provides the width on the left side which allows Hazard to roam through the middle. 

Thinking about it, I like the idea of signing James, especially given Hazard's injury,

Gives us something different than what Pedro/Willian offer, and will give us quality in depth. 

Lukaku/Batshuayi

Hazard/Willian---James/Pedro

Bakayoko/Cesc-----Kante/Chalobah

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

In our current set up, I wouldn't classify Hazard as a winger. More of a LF. 

He has limited responsibilities to defend now, and Alonso provides the width on the left side which allows Hazard to roam through the middle. 

Thinking about it, I like the idea of signing James, especially given Hazard's injury,

Gives us something different than what Pedro/Willian offer, and will give us quality in depth. 

Lukaku/Batshuayi

Hazard/Willian---James/Pedro

Bakayoko/Cesc-----Kante/Chalobah

That front line is weak in my opinion for a whole season in all competitions.  You need someone bigger than both of those names.  But other than that, your options would be extremely good everywhere else.

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That front line is weak in my opinion for a whole season in all competitions.  You need someone bigger than both of those names.  But other than that, your options would be extremely good everywhere else.

Depends if we want to play two up top. Prices for strikers in the market right now is absurd, and getting one for less than 40 million these days would be brilliant business. Lukaku alone will cost us a hefty amount. 

Lukaku is a lethal and proven goal scorer in the league, and Batshuayi has definitely earned Conte's trust from the amount of impact he's had for such little game time. 

Unless we actually give Abraham a shot, I can't see us spending another ridiculous amount on a striker after Lukaku. 

Belotti would be a dream. 

Edited by Cicero

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Depends if we want to play two up top. Prices for strikers in the market right now is absurd, and getting one for less than 40 million these days would be brilliant business. Lukaku alone will cost us a hefty amount. 

Lukaku is a lethal and proven goal scorer in the league, and Batshuayi has definitely earned Conte's trust from the amount of impact he's had for such little game time. 

Unless we actually give Abraham a shot, I can't see us spending another ridiculous amount on a striker after Lukaku. 

Belotti would be a dream. 

Lukaku fades in and out of seasons and that's something Conte can't afford.  Especially in the Champions League!

But the sounds of things Lukaku would be your main man up front with a search for an accompaniment of a lesser status.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...  Whatever has happened between Conte and Costa, it should be sorted.  Costa is not perfect by a million miles, but he's a big game player and he's been involved in massive games in his relatively short career when we consider his age.

Let me ask you a question...

How much do you think you'll get for Deigo Costa at most?

Then tell me how much you reckon you'll be paying for Lukaku?

Lukaku has proven nothing so far in his career and hasn't been involved in high profile games where it matters and the pressure is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Lukaku fades in and out of seasons and that's something Conte can't afford.  Especially in the Champions League!

But the sounds of things Lukaku would be your main man up front with a search for an accompaniment of a lesser status.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...  Whatever has happened between Conte and Costa, it should be sorted.  Costa is not perfect by a million miles, but he's a big game player and he's been involved in massive games in his relatively short career when we consider his age.

Let me ask you a question...

How much do you think you'll get for Deigo Costa at most?

Then tell me how much you reckon you'll be paying for Lukaku?

Lukaku has proven nothing so far in his career and hasn't been involved in high profile games where it matters and the pressure is ridiculous.

Like I said, it would be a sideways transfer. Costa is no where near as good in the 2nd half of the season as he is in the first, whereas Lukaku is at least consistent throughout. He's 24 in which he has room to grow, and he actually WANTS to be here. That is the underlying factor that separates him and Costa. That and the fact Lukaku won't have unpredictable behavior. 

This is Lukaku's goal scoring percentage at both West Brom and Everton

Top 4: 12 (14,2%)

5-10: 26 (30,6%)

11-16: 24 (28,2%)

Bottom 4: 23 (27%)

And this is all whilst playing on a team where the players are inferior to ours. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Like I said, it would be a sideways transfer. Costa is no where near as good in the 2nd half of the season as he is in the first, whereas Lukaku is at least consistent throughout. He's 24 in which he has room to grow, and he actually WANTS to be here. That is the underlying factor that separates him and Costa. That and the fact Lukaku won't have unpredictable behavior. 

This is Lukaku's goal scoring percentage at both West Brom and Everton

Top 4: 12 (14,2%)

5-10: 26 (30,6%)

11-16: 24 (28,2%)

Bottom 4: 23 (27%)

And this is all whilst playing on a team where the players are inferior to ours. 

It's true Costa's form becomes indifferent in the second half of the season and that infact used to happen to him for Atlético Madrid which is curious.  But Lukaku has ups and downs in a season which is also detrimental when you're relying on him and in a season playing in all competitions (especially the Champions League) you can't be on a downer.

In saying this, there's very little that's close to perfect and for sure anything that's resembling world class up front will cost an arm and a leg.  Not only that...  You have to convince them to move.

How many genuine world class strikers are out there at the moment and where are they playing?

I can think of these;

• Luis Suárez - Barça
  • Robert Lewandowski - Bayern
  • Gonzalo Higuaín - Juventus
  • Antoine Griezmann - Atlético Madrid

I can't think of any more unless you classify Alexis Sánchez as one which I don't and has only played there this season because Olivier Giroud is mediocrity personified.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's true Costa's form becomes indifferent in the second half of the season and that infact used to happen to him for Atlético Madrid which is curious.  But Lukaku has ups and downs in a season which is also detrimental when you're relying on him and in a season playing in all competitions (especially the Champions League) you can't be on a downer.

In saying this, there's very little that's close to perfect and for sure anything that's resembling world class up front will cost an arm and a leg.  Not only that...  You have to convince them to move.

How many genuine world class strikers are out there at the moment and where are they playing?

I can think of these;

• Luis Suárez - Barça
  • Robert Lewandowski - Bayern
  • Gonzalo Higuaín - Juventus
  • Antoine Griezmann - Atlético Madrid

I can't think of any more unless you classify Alexis Sánchez as one which I don't and has only played there this season because Olivier Giroud is mediocrity personified.

Except we aren't just relying on him? We have players throughout the pitch who are experienced in all levels of competition. Hazard had 16 goals last season, Pedro with 14 and Willian another 12. 

Unlike at Everton, the burden won't be on Lukaku alone to get us goals, as we have quality throughout the pitch. Lukaku will also have better players surrounding him than he did at Everton which can only make him better. 

• Upvote 1

Going along Balon's lines with regards to James, I don't see how both him and Hazard work together in the system we play.

The way in which I'd use James would be in a similar way to how Conte used Fabregas last season in a reduced role, starting games here and there and having an impact role from off the bench. For me playing both Hazard and James in behind wouldn't work as well (for some games it could yes) but not every game, Pedro for me complements the system very well but there's no doubt we need another attacking player who can play there next season given the increase in games. If we could get James for a reasonable price (which it looks like this won't be possible anyway) and have him utilized in the conditions I mentioned above (which would require good man management from Conte) then I'd be all for it.

He's had a hit and miss season for Madrid in terms of performances but there's no doubt he's been considered valuable to them this season, considering how well Zidane has used his squad particularly towards the end of the season. He's been hit and miss but hasn't been helped by injuries, a lack of continuity in playing time and the fact he plays in a variety of different positions. The squad dynamic there at Madrid doesn't help him either where certain members of the squad will always play and the fact that this also dictates their playing style and formation. He's struggled since his first season to assert himself there which isn't necessarily easy given the conditions mentioned but I guess Isco now has managed to find a place in the starting eleven.

Edited by carefreeluke

11 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Not sure we would have much use of him, only that comes to my mind is that Conte would try and use him as a wing back?

Only sources are Metro and Dailystar mate. Paper talk BS considering we have the exact same player in Ake. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Only sources are Metro and Dailystar mate. Paper talk BS considering we have the exact same player in Ake. 

Well to be honest all the linked players no matter the source aren't signed until i see them with a Chelsea shirt. Or that is official in any relevant media source, too bad there are so few that mean shit.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Going along Balon's lines with regards to James, I don't see how both him and Hazard work together in the system we play.

The way in which I'd use James would be in a similar way to how Conte used Fabregas last season in a reduced role, starting games here and there and having an impact role from off the bench. For me playing both Hazard and James in behind wouldn't work as well (for some games it could yes) but not every game, Pedro for me complements the system very well but there's no doubt we need another attacking player who can play there next season given the increase in games. If we could get James for a reasonable price (which it looks like this won't be possible anyway) and have him utilized in the conditions I mentioned above (which would require good man management from Conte) then I'd be all for it.

He's had a hit and miss season for Madrid in terms of performances but there's no doubt he's been considered valuable to them this season, considering how well Zidane has used his squad particularly towards the end of the season. He's been hit and miss but hasn't been helped by injuries, a lack of continuity in playing time and the fact he plays in a variety of different positions. The squad dynamic there at Madrid doesn't help him either where certain members of the squad will always play and the fact that this also dictates their playing style and formation. He's struggled since his first season to assert himself there which isn't necessarily easy given the conditions mentioned but I guess Isco now has managed to find a place in the starting eleven.

Agreed. We would have so much quality in depth for next season that it begs for rotation for certain games. 

Lukaku/Batshuayi

Hazard/Willian/James/Pedro

Bakayoko/Cesc/Kante/Chalobah

Premier League-winning coach has let it be known he could walk if demands aren't met

Antonio Conte's future at Chelsea remains in question, with the Premier League winning manager and the club's hierarchy at odds over strategy for the coming season.

The notoriously demanding Italian has yet to sign a contract extension first mooted by his employers in early 2017, and has made it be known that he could walk out on the London club should key concerns go unresolved.

Aside from the embarrassment of losing an individual who has just secured the English title at the first attempt, an exit from Conte would leave Chelsea in the difficult position of securing a suitable replacement at short notice.

With most of European football's premier coaches currently in employment, the club may look to Thomas Tuchel following his recent “separation” from Borussia Dortmund.

Conte's conflict with Chelsea is centred upon - but not solely limited to - the construction of conditions to win the Champions League.

The Italian believes his personal ambition to secure Europe's most important club trophy as a coach cannot realistically be achieved without marked improvements to his working conditions.

Foremost amongst these is a demand for substantial transfer market investment in all areas of a squad which Conte has publicly argued is not fit for the purpose of defending the Premier League title while simultaneously competing with Europe's elite.

According to sources close to the 47-year-old, he also believes his employers “owe” him an aggressive spend on new players after failing to deliver on requested targets in his two preceding windows at the club.

Additionally, Conte is said to have asked for: 1) A direct line of communication to Roman Abramovich and the owner's first line of command at the club, director Marina Granovskaia. 2) Power over the appointment of assistant coaches with the replacement of Steve Holland a priority. 3) Full control over Chelsea's academy as a condition of becoming personally involved in the club's youth ranks, including the freedom to introduce a new academy chief. 4) Improved financial terms.

he contract Conte entered into upon swapping Italy's national team for Chelsea last year runs until 2019.

Although the club briefed journalists several months ago that an extension would be formalised at the end of the Italian's successful first season, the proposed new deal remains unannounced.

Conte has a history of walking away from jobs shortly after winning a League title, having done exactly that at Juventus. In the summer of 2014, he resigned as manager during pre-season after Italy's most affluent club declined to recruit the players Conte considered essential for a successful Champions League campaign.

Chelsea's own track record of supporting managers following recent title successes also bodes poorly.

In the summer of 2010, Carlo Ancelotti's reward for winning the Premier League at his first attempt was to have his own requests for reinforcement ignored in favour of Abramovich signings Ramires and Yossi Benayoun; coupled with an instruction to promote five players from Chelsea's infamously unproductive academy.

When Jose Mourinho brought the title back to west London five seasons later following a net negative spend on transfer fees, the club again declined to act on the incumbent manager's recruitment advice.

Instead of delivering the Champions League-quality centre back prioritised by Mourinho, Granovskaia and technical director Michael Emenalo signed Papy Djilobodji and Michael Hector, while approving just one fee of over £20m - the rushed end-of-window purchase of Pedro from Barcelona.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-boss-antonio-conte-ready-10630863

Probably a Bull shit report, but it's funny how this article, especially the paragraph in bold, was something I stated literally a couple weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Probably a Bull shit report, but it's funny how this article, especially the paragraph in bold, was something I stated literally a couple weeks ago. 

Probably down to them not willing to pay up for Lukaku. 

I accepted the fact that we won't keep one manager for longer than three season, unless we win the treble every season. Conte had a very good debut season, but if he fails to deliver next season he will be sacked, the hot seat called Chelsea Football Club is a machine that devours managers.

And now the Lyon President is talking up an agreed but for the fine tuning of a 16M deal to take another of our youngsters, Bertrand Traore.

I am disappointed at this news as I felt Bertrand had something about him and was chosen by Hiddink to lead our line on many occasions.

With the money we have made from Liverpool taking Salah, plus whatever rising fee for Solanke ad now Traore, the club has raised 26M+ from players someone at the club has deemed not worthy.

How I would love to know who made these decisions.