talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

35 minutes ago, Storts said:

Well even if we are looking at goals, Kane has won the golden boot the last two years, comfortably leads this year and scored the most goals in Europe in 2017. 

Aguero is still good but he’s not Kane now 

the Argentinian is much more clinical in the Premier League, averaging a goal every 95.6 minutes compared to Kane’s one every 116.3.

Across the Premier League and Champions League, the pair have a similar record. Aguero averages a goal every 99 minutes, while the Spurs striker scores once every 100.7 minutes.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/harry-kane-vs-sergio-aguero-goals-attack-defence-stats-compared/

Thank you, good night and turn the light off on the way out! ;)   ...These stats are from last month so are up to date, Aguero's record is even better now with the goals he's scored in January

Edited by Happy Blue

7:42

'CITY RESTRAINED BY BUDGET'

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City are not always able to pay high transfer fees and meet player's wage demands as the club is operating within a defined budget.

He said: "When you want to handle four competitions sometimes you have to be lucky with injuries. Otherwise you need 22 top players for every position. People don't believe this, but today 22 top players is too expensive to buy, even [for] City.

"Their salaries we cannot pay. There are budgets for the transfers and we cannot pay. In the future, it may change but we haven't paid more than £80m-£100m for one player. We cannot pay that right now, it is the truth.

"That's why we need the academy to fight. Of course, we spend a lot money but it is the same money as a lot of other teams. I can assure you we are not the only team in the world that spend money."

expanded thumbnail

Small time club.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Of course, we spend a lot money but it is the same money as a lot of other teams. I can assure you we are not the only team in the world that spend money."

no-one is denying this, though?!

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Pep's got it easier than anyone right now in terms of money to spend. Which other club spends 300 million on defenders? 

I never got the sense that Pep would struggle at a smaller club. I could understand teams like Liverpool perhaps, but I think anyone else would struggle there as well as clubs like Roma, Napoli and Sevilla. He's a top club manager and doesn't need to manage them.

Then again, I don't believe in what ifs. I may use them in the middle of the match but ultimately what happens is the only thing that matters.

The thing is that I can understand Guardiola spending on defenders because it seems to be the only part of his setup that doesn’t seem to gel like he would wish his team to play throughout.  Only Stones seems to get it and the issue has been finding someone more secure than Stones but that can play with the ball at his feet like he can... Is Laporte that player?  I don’t think he is for various reasons although he is quality and he can grow into it.  Pep would’ve been better off having bought or battled with Barça for Yerry Mina or maybe go in for Iñigo Martínez who is a rock and is no mug with the ball at his feet.  The issue with Laporte is that many clubs have had their eye on him and were waiting for him to really make it big time... So he’s (Pep) thought, I’m gonna get in there now before Barcelona or Real get in there.

How can Guardiola complain about these things when he’s been able to buy or bid for who he wants in the positions he’s wanted to address?  That’s the point!  None of the other elite clubs have been in for a centre-back in Europe apart from Barcelona for a third man where they’ve brought in Yerry Mina as I said at the start of this post.

The issue is that SOON City WILL have to sign a front man and THAT’S why he’s already started lamenting himself with a prelude to the summer.

On 28/01/2018 at 11:02, Blue said:

I never got the sense that Pep would struggle at a smaller club. I could understand teams like Liverpool perhaps, but I think anyone else would struggle there as well as clubs like Roma, Napoli and Sevilla. He's a top club manager and doesn't need to manage them.

Then again, I don't believe in what ifs. I may use them in the middle of the match but ultimately what happens is the only thing that matters.

There would be no reason for Pep to go to any smaller clubs mate as it would be a step down. When you're in his position, you are only going to take the top jobs. After City I could see him ending up somewhere like Juventus as I reckon he will fancy a crack out in Italy. You never know, he may even end up being City manager for quite a while yet.

It'll be interesting to see if he stays in this job longer than his last 2. The reason he left Barcelona is due to being too attached to the club(it was the right time to move on as well, as you could see the team getting a bit stale towards the end) and he was never really wanted at Bayern. He may stick around longer at City, especially given that he will always be backed with money to spend.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

21 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

There would be no reason for Pep to go to any smaller clubs mate as it would be a step down. When you're in his position, you are only going to take the top jobs. After City I could see him ending up somewhere like Juventus as I reckon he will fancy a crack out in Italy. You never know, he may even end up being

It'll be interesting to see if he stays in this job longer than his last 2. The reason he left Barcelona is due to being too attached to the club(it was the right time to move on as well, as you could see the team getting a bit stale towards the end) and he was never really wanted at Bayern. He may stick around longer at City, especially given that he will always be backed with money to spend.

He always said (while at Barça); “There comes a point where players get sick of the coach and the coach gets sick of the players” which was interpreted like he wanted to revolutionise the squad and he knew that this wasn’t something possible at that moment for various reasons.  Also take into account another quote he made during his final season connected to the first one but months apart; “Cesc has too much of a status for me to bench him or put him in the stands and there are a couple of others in the same category”.  Everyone thought he was referring to Piqué at the time with “others” .

As for Bayern... The general consensus is that because of Heynckes’ wonder season before he arrived, he was seen as someone  not German arriving to tell them how to play the game considering the status Pep had at the time of arrival as everyone wanted him.

I agree with you that he will have a stint in Italy as he loves it there and he’s always said that he wants to coach in Italy. After that I can see him either coaching Spain (I know that sounds odd but even he’s said so) or Argentina where he has big connections and loves the culture.  He goes there everytime he can and has many friends there...  I have a feeling he wil be drawn there although it will surely be when Messi has finished his career.

On 24/01/2018 at 17:21, Happy Blue said:

the Argentinian is much more clinical in the Premier League, averaging a goal every 95.6 minutes compared to Kane’s one every 116.3.

Across the Premier League and Champions League, the pair have a similar record. Aguero averages a goal every 99 minutes, while the Spurs striker scores once every 100.7 minutes.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/harry-kane-vs-sergio-aguero-goals-attack-defence-stats-compared/

Thank you, good night and turn the light off on the way out! ;)   ...These stats are from last month so are up to date, Aguero's record is even better now with the goals he's scored in January

Yeah but you can get a whole season out of Kane. Although I think aguero is better I'd rather have Kane. Also aguero has better service

Manchester City can confirm that winger Leroy Sane sustained ankle ligament damage during the FA Cup win over Cardiff. The Germany international was substituted off at half-time following a challenge from Bluebirds player Joe Bennett.

Sane has since undergone scans that confirm the 22-year-old is set for a spell on the sidelines - although no timeline has yet been set for his return.

That's bad news, time for Bernardo Silva to step up and show us what he can do

David Silva is a doubt for Manchester City's clash with Burnley on Saturday after coming off injured against West Brom.

The Spaniard suffered a kick "in a painful area" in the first half of the 3-0 win and Pep Guardiola is not sure if the player will be able to recover in time for the Saturday lunchtime kick-off.

We could have some problems for the CL soon if Silva is out for some time too, we almost lost Diaz to another horror tackle  ....Jesus, Sane, Silva, Delph, Stones, Mendy, Foden then sicknotes like Kompany and Gundogan that can go down at anytime ..surprised Aguero has lasted, he normally has 6mths on the bench but looks healthy this season, if he gets injured though we have zero recognised strikers heading into the knockouts of the CL

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Can only imagine how much he spends during his reign. 

Now he has a core of young players and top young players coming through like Maffeo, Diaz and Foden etc, i don't think he will spend that much now he has replaced most the old guys in the team  ..he will finish the build this summer then just top up the team as needed 

Interesting how Guardiola describes Ederson, "so so calm, when we concede, silent. When he makes a goal line save, silent. Always silent and calm."

A world of difference to Hart who would scream and shout at everyone including ball boys. Obviously there was something in Hart's mentality as well as performances that Guardiola didn't take to.

• 2 weeks later...

Guardiola reminds me of a teenager that just read political philosophy for the first. He dreams of revolutions and fighting for the people, shamefully dreaming that the Falangists were still in power so he topple over them. It is 'revolution' not born from any love or compassion for the plight of others but self-love. 

• 2 weeks later...

Manchester City are closing in on a bumper £45million-a-year kit deal with Puma to replace the soon-to-expire partnership with Nike, The Sunreports.

Information that Puma were in line to take over as City’s kit provider first broke in November, but it then emerged that the Nike deal still had a year to run after this season.

According to The Sun, everything is ‘on the right track’ when it comes to Puma, with City’s kit income expected to rise from £18million-a-season with Nike to around £45million-a-season with Puma once they take over.

Arsenal have quit Puma in favour of Adidas, meaning the sportswear giant need a new representative in the Premier League, and the champions-elect have a number of commercially attractive young stars which makes them particularly appealing to Puma.

The Sun states that there is still ‘work to be done’ but it is looking increasingly likely that City will link up with Puma and increase their income in the process.

adChoices.png

• 2 weeks later...