talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA World Cup Playoffs

football forum

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ukraine were the worst runners up, so have to be somewhat pleased about that. 

Wales and Austria shouldn't have Scotland worried too much, but wish the final could have been at Hampden. But they've just recently won away in Austria.

8 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Wales and Austria shouldn't have Scotland worried too much, but wish the final could have been at Hampden. But they've just recently won away in Austria.

Worst runners up? Them having the least points compared to the other runners up, doesn't mean much, as clearly some groups were tougher than other groups. Ukraine were undefeated in their group as well. Having said that, Ukraine were a bit erratic, but they played very well in their last match away to Bosnia, where they earned a convincing win. They will also take confidence from their home and away games against France, where they drew 1-1 in both fixtures.

However Scotland have to be one of the most improved national teams in Europe. Their 2-0 win over Denmark in the qualifiers was a morale booster and ensured their place in the play-offs. Billy Gilmour in particular has looked very impressive in midfield for Scotland. There will likely be a full house when Scotland play Ukraine at Hampden Park. Having the fans roar Scotland on should give them a big lift. Ukraine on the other hand will hope that they repeat their last performance at Hampden Park, when they beat Sweden 2-1 at this summer's Euros.

It should be a dramatic match and an entertaining one at the same time. I might just travel up to Scotland and visit Hampden Park again to watch the match.

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Worst runners up? Them having the least points compared to the other runners up, doesn't mean much, as clearly some groups were tougher than other groups. Ukraine were undefeated in their group as well. Having said that, Ukraine were a bit erratic, but they played very well in their last match away to Bosnia, where they earned a convincing win. They will also take confidence from their home and away games against France, where they drew 1-1 in both fixtures.

By definition, they were the worst runners up. So I'm not sure what's wrong with that statement? They also scored the least amount of goals for any of the runners up, and failed to beat Kazakhstan home or away.

I don't think many Scotland fans would expect to be overwhelming favourites against any of the other teams in the draw, but Ukraine is definitely one of the better ones. And it avoids the PTSD that seeing Patrick Schick turn up at Hampden again would bring up.

2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

By definition, they were the worst runners up. So I'm not sure what's wrong with that statement? They also scored the least amount of goals for any of the runners up, and failed to beat Kazakhstan home or away.

I don't think many Scotland fans would expect to be overwhelming favourites against any of the other teams in the draw, but Ukraine is definitely one of the better ones. And it avoids the PTSD that seeing Patrick Schick turn up at Hampden again would bring up.

By definition, you have classed them as the worst runners up because they had the least points compared to the other runners up. Nothing wrong with the definition if you make that clear I suppose. It was just the insinuation that they are the worst of the runner-up teams, which I had a bit of a contention with. Yeah, you can say they scored the least amount of goals but they also conceded few goals. They were undefeated as well, they were also in one of the smaller groups of 5 teams and not 6 teams, a lot of weaker teams in the other groups etc... we can get pedantic about a lot of the stats, but at the end of the day, the different groups had teams of varying strengths.

Out of all the remaining sides in the play-offs, I don't think that most of them such as Russia, Sweden, Poland, Czech Republic, Wales, Turkey or North Macedonia are better than Ukraine. Over 2 legs Ukraine would likely come out on top most of the time against these teams. Even Portugal have come out second best against Ukraine in recent years. You are entitled to your opinion though.

On 26/11/2021 at 16:32, ScoRoss said:

You could have had a worse draw but I wouldn't say you shouldnt be worried at all. All 3 of the other teams reached the knockout of the European cup. I would put you slight favourites against Ukraine at home but going to wales will be hard. I think if Austria get through it's in Austria but I'm not entirely shore. It's an even play off and either could team could get through. Although personally I think  Wales are favourites due to home advantage 

The crazy thing is ofc haven't even started qualification yet. They are doing it all in Qatar. Means American Samoa would have been in the tournament longer than italy or portugal 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Hope Poland get punished. UEFA have a good record of not really reading the room.

Why should they be punished. I know it's not the russian players fault but if they feel it's inappropriate that is their decision. They will probably not qualify for the world cup because of it isnt that enough? 

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Why should they be punished. I know it's not the russian players fault but if they feel it's inappropriate that is their decision. They will probably not qualify for the world cup because of it isnt that enough? 

I missed out 'don't'. My bad. 

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

I missed out 'don't'. My bad. 

Ow right. I was surprised you said that actually didnt seem like something you would say 

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

France requested Russia to be banned altogether from the WC, bit too much considering conflict can still be settled through talks

Putin will only talk when he thinks he can get his own way.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to basically go after the football team. I know people see the name Russia and just connect everything together as if it's one thing but it isn't. Mentally lazy in my opinion.

Imagine any of this happening when it came to the US and their love for bombing other countries. But in that situation, the government is one thing and sports and entertainment are all something separate.

It doesn't solve anything. It's just a case of people wanting to show they're doing something against Russia, even if it isn't against anyone that's at fault.

Archived