UEFA World Cup Playoffs

football forum

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Is this even a serious article ?

Its always nice to see a new face at the WC and Wales have a star attraction in Bale so its England who should step aside, they don't add much than 1-0s anyway :coffee:

Just put the rest of the contenders in a hat and draw the team that doesn't have to go. Surely UEFA can't fuck that up can they ... oh wait.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Its always nice to see a new face at the WC and Wales have a star attraction in Bale so its England who should step aside, they don't add much than 1-0s anyway :coffee:

That's absolute bollocks surely xD

9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

May be an image of ‎text that says "‎۔ The xG Philosophy @xGPhilosophyEU Italy (1.98) 0-1 (0.17) North Macedonia 08:42 25/3/22 Twitter for iPhone 1,094 Retweets 688 Quote Tweets 13.1K Likes girls that believe in astrology boys that believe in xG‎"‎

For danny and any other poor nonce that believes in the boogeyman 

The meme doesn't make any sense. xG is about the quality of the chances created and is a better way of analysing chance creation meaning it is a useful stat to take note of. It does reveal what happened in the match which is that Berardi and Immobile were shit.

I can't find the sipping coffee emoji.

A couple of things.

Congratulations @Dr. Gonzo Iran have qualified again. I know this is the wrong thread for that but I can't be bothered to write in in another thread.

@Bluebird Hewitt gonna be an long wait for you to see if you qualify. 

I cant pick who I want to go through. Normally it would be Scotland or Wales but for obvious reasons it would be nice to see Ukraine qualify so a hard one 

@Cicero you're Italian or have Italian parents or something dont you?  Do you think this is the worst result in their history? Personally I blame the players. I know Mancini rested some but this is one of these results where I think you just say the players let him down 

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Yeah, the Telegraph are chatting shite if it's true. Doubt they'd be mentioning it if it involved England.

Tbh, I'd feel pretty insulted by this suggestion, not just for Scotland and Wales but for Ukraine as well. I highly doubt Ukraine would want to qualify for a World Cup out of sympathy.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

A couple of things.

Congratulations @Dr. Gonzo Iran have qualified again. I know this is the wrong thread for that but I can't be bothered to write in in another thread.

@Bluebird Hewitt gonna be an long wait for you to see if you qualify. 

I cant pick who I want to go through. Normally it would be Scotland or Wales but for obvious reasons it would be nice to see Ukraine qualify so a hard one 

@Cicero you're Italian or have Italian parents or something dont you?  Do you think this is the worst result in their history? Personally I blame the players. I know Mancini rested some but this is one of these results where I think you just say the players let him down 

Parents are from Genoa. Never had any real affiliation to the national team or International football tbh. I follow Argentina more so than any team because of my wife. 

This current national side however may have won the euros, but they were never really sustainable. Excellent defence, excellent midfield, mediocre attack. They essentially had to have Chiesa bail them out time and time again. 

On 25/03/2022 at 06:53, Devil-Dick Willie said:

May be an image of ‎text that says "‎۔ The xG Philosophy @xGPhilosophyEU Italy (1.98) 0-1 (0.17) North Macedonia 08:42 25/3/22 Twitter for iPhone 1,094 Retweets 688 Quote Tweets 13.1K Likes girls that believe in astrology boys that believe in xG‎"‎

For danny and any other poor nonce that believes in the boogeyman 

Good to hear you're still thinking about me :hh: xG is created to measure the quality of chances in a game of football, not the final result. But let me explain it in a way you might understand....

xG no made to predict score, xG made to show who had good chances. xG used over a lot of games, a lot means more than one game

6 hours ago, Danny said:

Good to hear you're still thinking about me :hh: xG is created to measure the quality of chances in a game of football, not the final result. But let me explain it in a way you might understand....

xG no made to predict score, xG made to show who had good chances. xG used over a lot of games, a lot means more than one game

Wrong. A 1 on 1 that results in no shot doesn't contribute to xg for example, because there was no shot. 

Let ME break it down for YOU 

xG no made to be a real meaningful stat. xG made for football magazine wankers to froth over and renew subscription with the Athletic. 

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Wrong. A 1 on 1 that results in no shot doesn't contribute to xg for example, because there was no shot. 

Let ME break it down for YOU 

xG no made to be a real meaningful stat. xG made for football magazine wankers to froth over and renew subscription with the Athletic. 

Yes, a chance is generally a shot…unless you’re being pedantic to make a bad point xD

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yes, a chance is generally a shot…unless you’re being pedantic to make a bad point xD

No it's not "generally a shot" 
How many times does a ball ping ponging around the box not get put away because someone who should have buried it didn't react fast enough? No xg

A 1v1 where the keeper claims it or pushes it from the strikers feet = No xG

An easy square up for a shot into an empty net is bungled. No Xg

Timo Werner with a shot from 12 yards that he side foots straight at a keeper is the same xG as Lewandowski from the same distance. 

Shove your foofy made up stat up your arse son. It's not even a better indicator of who wins that total shots on target xD

Bonucci: “Everything was decided in just one game. It’s absurd. Other teams [CONMEBOL, etc.] were able to lose 4-5 games and qualify. We concede at 90’+2 and it’s over. It’s pure madness.”

xD "we drew against the mighty: Bulgaria, Switzerland, & Northern Ireland - it's not fair South Americans can lose games against better opponents and still qualify"

I will say, Italians can really cook quite a dish... even when served with so much salt.

I do agree these single game knockouts are a bit unfair given one team may not get to play any home game at all while other gets to play two. Watching Senegal Egypt and how roles are reversed with home team dictating the play in the second leg.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Poland and Portugal complete their qualification to Qatar. 

Congrats to both Poland and Portugal, but I think that both these sides benefitted from playing at home and that the current set-up is not very fair. I don't see why they couldn't have the teams play home and away like they used to. That was a much better way of deciding who goes to the World Cup in the play-offs.

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

Congrats to both Poland and Portugal, but I think that both these sides benefitted from playing at home and that the current set-up is not very fair. I don't see why they couldn't have the teams play home and away like they used to. That was a much better way of deciding who goes to the World Cup in the play-offs.

Cramped for time I think. Because of covid. The world cup is literally 2-3 months away. 

Archived