talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Abu Dhabi GP - 10-12th December, 2021

football forums

5 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

I would love to see another 2009-style shaking up of the board, which was the last major rule change. The teams that came to the fore that year were Brawn/eventually Mercedes and Red Bull. Here we are 12 years later.

I don't know if the shift will be quite as extreme this time though. I've been keeping my eye out for teams who have dipped in performance at the end of the year because they've shifted their development focus to the new car. McLaren arguably fall into that category and certainly Aston Martin. Haas have also openly said they were putting basically all of their effort into the 2022 car from the start of this year.

Mercedes and Red Bull on the other hand have been continuing to add new parts to their cars to the end of this year knowing that they'll be going in the bin after today's race. Similar situation to McLaren and Ferrari in 2008 who suffered badly at the start of 2009.

It will be interesting for sure. In 2008 there was a lot of talk on which teams were shifting their focus to the new rules. Renault and BMW had a disaster while the Honda car which was rebranded as Brawn GP won the championship. This time, apart from Haas I've not heard many teams positioning themselves in this way. I don't think either Lewis or Max will be found far off the front for long though. 

Read a few articles during the season saying that RB have concentrated much more on this season and the expense of next season. A few think they may start on the back foot. I really hope this isn't the case. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
25 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

I would love to see another 2009-style shaking up of the board, which was the last major rule change. The teams that came to the fore that year were Brawn/eventually Mercedes and Red Bull. Here we are 12 years later.

I don't know if the shift will be quite as extreme this time though. I've been keeping my eye out for teams who have dipped in performance at the end of the year because they've shifted their development focus to the new car. McLaren arguably fall into that category and certainly Aston Martin. Haas have also openly said they were putting basically all of their effort into the 2022 car from the start of this year.

Mercedes and Red Bull on the other hand have been continuing to add new parts to their cars to the end of this year knowing that they'll be going in the bin after today's race. Similar situation to McLaren and Ferrari in 2008 who suffered badly at the start of 2009.

It will be interesting for sure. In 2008 there was a lot of talk on which teams were shifting their focus to the new rules. Renault and BMW had a disaster while the Honda car which was rebranded as Brawn GP won the championship. This time, apart from Haas I've not heard many teams positioning themselves in this way. I don't think either Lewis or Max will be found far off the front for long though. 

Newey believes that it will be the biggest change since 1983 when ground effect was essentially banned. We'll have to see if that's the case and if it will be enough to threaten the status quo... The cost cap and limited wind tunnel time should be another thing to take into account, too. I have a feeling Ferrari will be strong next season.

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Drivers and constructors Championship are overrated!

0u9ri2vtq5581.png

PS: The woman is called Lindsay Marie Brewer. Look her up and thank me later. 

Saw that on social media, it took me legit 5 minutes to realise Vettel was also in that photo.

• Subscriber

You know what's genuinely bizarre? The race director allowed 5 of 8 lapped cars past. There were two more directly behind Verstappen. It's quite conceivable that they could have allowed all of the lapped cars to unlap themselves and take away much of the controversy by at least not making it blatantly obvious that he was only interested in clearing the traffic between the front two. 

That said, it wouldn't stop Mercedes' appeal about the protocol and the rules stating that the race should restart the lap after all of the lapped cars have gone past the safety car.

55 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

You know what's genuinely bizarre? The race director allowed 5 of 8 lapped cars past. There were two more directly behind Verstappen. It's quite conceivable that they could have allowed all of the lapped cars to unlap themselves and take away much of the controversy by at least not making it blatantly obvious that he was only interested in clearing the traffic between the front two. 

That said, it wouldn't stop Mercedes' appeal about the protocol and the rules stating that the race should restart the lap after all of the lapped cars have gone past the safety car.

This was one of the main focuses of debate. In my opinion he had to make one decision and stick to it. If he said none of the back markers can unlap themselves then stick to that. If he said they can then get it done early as possible. I feel his change of decision, he was shooting himself in the foot.

Out of curiosity why did he change his mind? I may have missed the reason and it could be a genuine one. The radio messages don't bode well, Horner saying we just need one lap and then Masi saying give me a minute and bringing Max and Lewis 1 and 2.

Also when the final lap started, did you hear Toto to Masi? He was begging him to reverse his decision. I thought he was going to burst into tears. When the VSC came out he was begging Masi not to bring out a full SC.

Soon as Max was behind Lewis for the final lap. I said to my brother he's got the title. If he didn't overtake where he did, he defiantly would have on one of the 2 long straights. It was fresh softs vs old hards.

One question about the overtake, does anyone think that Lewis shouldn't have got taken on that part of the track? I understand his tire situation but he never really put up a stern defense. 

I'm not a big watcher of this sort but caught wind of some of the controversy today.

Wondering do you guys think Masi makes a different decision on things in the event Hamilton does decide to pit? 

Or was he dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't?

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Apparently Lewis asked Toto to withdraw the protest.

Apparently Max received a text from Toto today, congratulating him with the title and saying he deserved it. Think they are indeed not launching the appeal.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So following the Abu Dhabi GP, Nicolas Latifi received a lot of hate and even death threats on social media. 

wd6fuwfd0a581.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

🙄

It was inevitable. Same thing happened to Timo Glock in 2008 from people who wanted Massa to win. It's only going to be worse with the way social media and emboldened anonymous keyboard warriors have become even more prevalent. I was actually going to run a poll at the time, who gets the most death threats out of Michael Masi, Nicolas Latifi and Max Verstappen.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So following the Abu Dhabi GP, Nicolas Latifi received a lot of hate and even death threats on social media. 

🙄

It's pathetic, but I must say most of the selected ones there are actually surprisingly mild 😅

32 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's pathetic, but I must say most of the selected ones there are actually surprisingly mild 😅

Yea, it's the only screenshot I could find on reddit. Apparently there have been worse, and he had to deactivate his DM's. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

🙄

This is wrong. Hate should be geared towards Lewis for his taste in fashion.

Archived