• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Preview Thread

football forum

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not followed it properly today but from what I've seen on Sky Sports blog and social media, it sounds like Ferrari impressed again and seem to be really solid all around. Mercedes seem to have a good car in theory with the new sidepod design but saw a lot about them still suffering from the porpoising problem. It might yet be that the way the new sidepod redirects the airflow to the downforce devices at the back of the car isn't as straightforward over the bumps as it is in the simulator. I imagine they'll figure it out though.

If the Mercedes philosophy turns out to be a bit of a silver bullet, looking at the rest of the cars, Williams are the other ones who have a seemingly similar concept with the fairly narrow packaging around the centre of the car. Albon had some good pace today as well. Potential dark horses. Not for race wins or pole positions, but perhaps to get to the front of the midfield and nick the occasional podium.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Ricciardo still ill, Norris continues to drive today as well.

Any news on what he has? Not ideal to miss important time with the new car. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Any news on what he has? Not ideal to miss important time with the new car. 

Not that I'm aware of. McLaren said he took a few Covid tests, all turned out negative. 

2 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Do the teams bring both cars to these tests, or do they just bring a single car and use stickers to change the driver numbers during the lunch break and stuff? I'm assuming the latter.

One car as far as I know. And then they just change the seat and the stickers as you mentioned. 

• Subscriber

Just over a day of testing left now. A consensus is definitely forming that Ferrari probably have the best and most consistent pace. Mercedes are yet to really show their hand but trackside observers are commenting that the car basically looks like shit to drive. It might be one of those where it's really tricky to find the sweet spot in terms of setup and unlock the ultimate pace. I've also seen multiple analysts who have been tracking Ferrari's long run pace say that they actually seem to be having some real problems with tyre wear. Leclerc completed a 12-lap stint on one of the softer compounds earlier and his pace dropped off badly. This could be due to different reasons to tyre wear but that's not the only time it's been mentioned.

Red Bull aren't really grabbing many headlines but seem to be there or thereabouts and aren't having any major issues either. McLaren definitely having a quieter test this time around. Good to see Alfa Romeo get some better running in as their Barcelona test was almost as disastrous as Haas.

Hamilton said Mercedes are still struggling with the aerodynamic "bouncing" or “porpoising” that appears to have afflicted them more than many other teams, even if all have it to some degree, and was not happy with the car.

There is always a degree of sandbagging in testing,  it is hard to take the outcomes as anything more than a pointer.   Ferrari were the fastest in pre season testing in 2014,  then Australia came and both failed to make it out of Q2 and were about 2 seconds a lap slower than Mercedes. 

Archived