• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Preview Thread

football forum

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The reliability on show from the top teams straight out of the box is really impressive. WTF1 earlier were saying that the first day of testing for the last major rule change in 2014 was a joke and nobody hit much more than 40 laps or something. There's much more to be done but it does mark a significant victory in the sustainability and cost reduction in F1.

• Subscriber

A couple of stoppages today. Perez had a gearbox issue and Mazepin had a fuel pump problem, both stopping on track.

Mclaren and Ferrari setting the pace again. I'll await the analysis but this is becoming a trend and you'd expect the teams not to be running wildly different programmes. Not time to speculate that these are currently the fastest two cars but you can't stop me from hinting at it.

A lot of talk about the ground effect 'porpoising' (essentially bottoming out). Alpine suffering the most from this but all teams getting some of it. More than they anticipated apparently. The heavy braking into T1 in Barcelona is on the bumpy side so won't be helping I'm sure.

• Subscriber

All the usual caveats but George Russell says that he believes McLaren and Ferrari are currently ahead of Mercedes:

I'm inclined to believe that he's not playing mind games here. Norris also gave me "the lady do protest too much" vibes yesterday with his comments about not wanting to be first because everyone will think they're amazing now.

Mercedes pulled a big turnaround last summer before the racing started though.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Coma said:

Is preseason testing just an opportunity to tune the cars?  What's the point in everyone doing it all on the same track?  Media coverage?

Mostly to make sure the cars are reliable and try out different parts on the car, and see how everything behaves over a long distance. This one is behind closed doors but the test in Bahrain in two weeks is televised.

• Subscriber

Haas just announced they'll be dropping Uralkali/Russian branding and will run the cars in plain white. 

If there's no swift diplomatic resolution to the Ukraine conflict, I wonder if that will turn out to be the perfect opportunity for Andretti.

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haas just announced they'll be dropping Uralkali/Russian branding and will run the cars in plain white. 

If there's no swift diplomatic resolution to the Ukraine conflict, I wonder if that will turn out to be the perfect opportunity for Andretti.

So it was a Russian livery all along! 

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Their luck with sponsors. First Rich Energy, and now this. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, nudge said:

I think Andretti is a bit old to be making a comeback with Haas when Mazepin loses his seat over this.

:ph34r:

• Subscriber

Five red flags in today's morning session.

Alonso's Alpine went up in flames. The team have said repairs won't be completed in time to get Ocon out this afternoon and he's also been withdrawn from this afternoon's press conference.

Second red flag was Gasly's prang. Unknown whether this was driver error or a car failure.

Third one was Zhou's spin. He then stopped on track on his first lap after the session restarted, causing a fourth red flag.

Fifth red flag caused by a stoppage for Vettel's Aston Martin which also appeared to be smoking.

Some other rumours doing the rounds today - Mercedes may turn up to the first Grand Prix with an almost unrecognisable car having tested many different components throughout testing. There are pictures of three different cooling solutions they've tried out this week already. Also talk that they're still playing catch up on horsepower due to the change of fuel for this season, but remain confident that they'll claw it back. Mazepin's seat for the season ahead also appears to be at risk with multiple drivers who could bring money to the table contacting Haas already. No names mentioned yet.

Archived