talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2021/22 Knockout Play-offs - Thursday 17th February, 2022 (1st Legs)

football forum

• Administrator

Thursday 17th February, 2022
Barcelona vs Napoli, 17.45
Borussia Dortmund vs Rangers, 17.45
Sheriff Tiraspol vs Sporting Braga, 17.45
Zenit St Petersburg vs Real Betis, 17.45

Atalanta vs Olympiacos, 20.00
Porto vs Lazio, 20.00
RB Leipzig vs Real Sociedad, 20.00
Sevilla vs Dinamo Zagreb, 20.00

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haaland has not even been named on the bench for Dortmund's match at home against Rangers. He must still be deemed not fit enough to even play at the moment. This should be an interesting encounter and I think that both Dortmund as well as Rangers will score, but ultimately I see Dortmund winning it.

• Administrator

VAR in great use there. Ref must have completely missed the handball. Plus you wonder what use the assistants next to the goal are if they also miss it. 

Rangers been playing well. 

Zagadou is one of the most overrated defenders. He always seems like a liability when he's in Dortmund's starting line-up. Rangers played very well, they were compact, worked hard and were very efficient. Dortmund were very poor today.

48 minutes ago, Spike said:

I bet @SirBalon arsehole was clenched in his calvin klein’s tonight. 1-1 draw is a domestic win, maybe

To be honest, I thought that Napoli were going to rip Barcelona apart before the game. Considering the opposing situation both clubs are going through. Barça’s hope is with the tremendous new generation that’s coming through.

Now, with hindsight and having seen what occurred, Barcelona will be kicking themselves. The amount of chances missed, this tie should’ve been put to bed. It isn’t and I still have Napoli as favourites to go through. All the same, Barcelona’s progression with these kids this season whilst the club is buried in an unprecedented crisis is quite extraordinary imo.

50 minutes ago, Danny said:

At a loss as to why Rangers went to a 3 at the back. They were all over Dortmund and then just gave up the ball allowing them to take control of the remainder of the game and score.

Gio seems to like going defensive even though it doesn't suit us at all. Every game he's done it in we've struggled right after.

Dortmund proper are wet wipes aren’t they. With all due respect to Rangers, I’d be ashamed of that scoreline. And these cunts are the ones who are meant to be Bayerns biggest challengers, they’re weak. 

12 hours ago, Rick said:

Dortmund proper are wet wipes aren’t they. With all due respect to Rangers, I’d be ashamed of that scoreline. And these cunts are the ones who are meant to be Bayerns biggest challengers, they’re weak. 

Being a bit harsh here I think, it’s clear Dortmund have had a bad season in Europe but a bad result in the Europa League is hardly a good representation of a season. Plus we all know that teams will mentally at the very least focus more on the domestic season than European when it comes to Europa League vs a big 5 league.

Plus for Rangers this is a much bigger game, Dortmund are a Champions League side normally and Rangers are trying to consolidate their position as a dangerous team in the KO stages of this tournament. No doubt Dortmund should be beating a team like Rangers when you compare their players, but Rangers are still a threat full of players that could do more than a good job for a lot of midtable and above sides in Europe’s top 5 leagues.

No doubt Bayern are the strongest team out of the two though, Dortmund have to be a lot more prudent in how they sign players compared to Bayern.

13 hours ago, Rab said:

Gio seems to like going defensive even though it doesn't suit us at all. Every game he's done it in we've struggled right after.

Yeah your team is full of threatening players who like to play aggressively. You’re lucky Dortmund we’re mentally gone cos for me all they needed to do was control possession, play in a calmer state and the chances would have been there for goals.

I’ve seen Dortmund plenty of times over the last couple seasons, and I keep seeing the same soft underbelly. They defence as a whole is especially wimpish. 

I actually like them as well, which makes it all the more annoying. 

51 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’ve seen Dortmund plenty of times over the last couple seasons, and I keep seeing the same soft underbelly. They defence as a whole is especially wimpish. 

I actually like them as well, which makes it all the more annoying. 

The thing with Dortmund is that they came to power over the last ten or so years through Juergen Klopp, you’ve seen how good he can make a shit team. I think when he left we all thought those levels he had the club at were the levels they could consistently reach, I think what’s been proven since then is that Dortmund have managed to secure Champions League football regularly but due to the disparity between them and Bayern they’re always going to have a bit of a softness to them as Germany only has one mammoth team.

You look at what Dortmund are doing and they’re almost comparable to the likes of West Ham this season and last season, Arsenal this season too. A good team with a lot of good players and a couple of star talents but overall they’re not up to scratch with the elites of Europe. Dortmund don’t really have the ability to keep their star players and so I think they’re always going to risk these types of nights when they’re filling the squad with good players but not world class players.

And just to add, Rangers are a very good team and seeing the likes of Kent, Aribo, Morelos, Lundstram etc go and dominate Dortmund away is just indicative of how good a team Rangers have become the last couple years 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived