talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Sack Ralph Hasenhuttl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was probably time to go, had them playing some good stuff at times but they’ve struggled this season.

Be interesting to see who they bring in, not got a great deal of quality in their squad really so expect them to stay in the relegation battle.

It's been a great ride. When they've been good they've been very good but when they've been bad they've been really bad.

He was let down by the recruitment team this summer. They had the Brentford bloke, the guy that's been there since 2020, and the guy that has just left for Chelsea all effectively doing the same job and none of them were able to land him a forward that he was promised. If they had got Gakpo to replace the goals Ings and Broja filled he'd still be in a job. 

If they do go down the Nathan Jones route, that is a massive gamble given you are ignoring some more established higher profile managers.

I don't think Jones should be judged on what he did at Stoke, he walked into a bit of a shit situation and needed more time but the pressure for them to get up whilst they were one of the stronger sides in the division was too much.

He's done a supurb job at Luton but even more so second time around. It's very easy to go back somewhere and things not be quite as good as what you achieved before, but he's very nearly got them to a playoff final and made them currently one of the more consistant, stronger sides in the Championship.

I don't know if this is necessarily the right move for Saints but I hope he does ok because he's a likeable bloke that deserves to be recognised for his work with Luton.

Massive loss for Luton mind.

He was a weird one. When it was good, he was even being linked with top 6 (I know Newcastle are there now but they weren't at the time), he got them top at one point and went on massive unbeaten runs playing brilliantly but when it was bad, two 9-0 defeats and utter abject relegation form. It looks now like the good is getting more and more sporadic and the bad is more here to stay if he stayed so I get it. No idea where he'll go next.

Jones would be a gamble. Sean Dyche is available and I think this is a job that he would take on. Poch would probably be a bit much but he does have emotional pull to the club and even someone like Gerrard or Rooney might be interested although, of course, Rooney would be a big gamble too.

But to get the chance in the PL, you need to be given one so if it is Jones, he may do a good job.

• Administrator

Feel for Luton as they lost Jones to Stoke which didn't work out, and now they might lose him to a bigger & better club, but again it might not work out.

For Luton's sake I hope they can get a decent manager in to sustain a play-off push should Jones depart. I think it might be too big a job for Jones to go to Southampton at this moment in time. 

Archived