talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Weird Sequences in football

football forum

Something got me interested the other day in Paul Warhurst who played for Sheffield Wednesday in the early 90's.

Although signed as a defender due to injuries he was used as a makeshift striker and then scored 12 goals in 12 matches to earn an England call up. He was the in-form striker for some time before having to fill in elsewhere.

During this period he scored with shots, headers and using his pace to finish off moves. However when they got defensive injuries he was strong-armed back into defence. 

He left Wednesday and went to Blackburn to be a member of the league winning squad.

He did have injuries which took their toll.

You might have others too.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Andrea Pirlo

The uber cool Pirlo began his career as a fantasista or trequartista - the classic No.10 role - while at hometown club Brescia but his admission to the pantheon of football's greats was in a deep-lying playmaker role. He was highly rated as a No.10 joining Inter Milan, but it was a return to Brescia that saw him find his footing. With Roberto Baggio as the offensive playmaker, coach Carlo Mazzone moved Pirlo back and the rest is history. Pirlo won the World Cup and Champions League twice as well as four Serie A titles. Not done, he remodeled himself as a winemaker after retiring.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Andrea Pirlo

The uber cool Pirlo began his career as a fantasista or trequartista - the classic No.10 role - while at hometown club Brescia but his admission to the pantheon of football's greats was in a deep-lying playmaker role. He was highly rated as a No.10 joining Inter Milan, but it was a return to Brescia that saw him find his footing. With Roberto Baggio as the offensive playmaker, coach Carlo Mazzone moved Pirlo back and the rest is history. Pirlo won the World Cup and Champions League twice as well as four Serie A titles. Not done, he remodeled himself as a winemaker after retiring.

Did you write this yourself :ph34r:

• Subscriber

SAF would sign players he knew had versatility and play in different positions, that way he could change the shape of the team during a match, Phil Neville could play either MF or in defense and John O'Shea could play anywhere the same as Rooney because of their versatility. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You know what is a weird sequence?

Real Madrid
Juventus
Real Madrid
Chelsea
Atletico Madrid
Juventus
Atletico Madrid

Looks like Morata is due another stint at Chelsea...

18 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

David Unsworth signing for Aston Villa from West Ham.

David Unsworth signing for 1st club Everton from Aston Villa.

In the same summer.

Allegedly when Unsworth realised where Aston Villa were located.

Wiki suggests his family did not like Birmingham and the commute was too long. 

Everton paid Villa the same money as Villa paid West Ham, seems a decent move by Everton. 

Hermann Hreidarsson holds a record for suffering five relegations with the five Premier League teams he played for.

Palace, Wimbledon, Ipswich, Charlton and Portsmouth.

Everytime he moved club, they eventually got relegated. Talk about a bad omen.

Another one I'll always remember was the back to back Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle games over consecutive seasons.

April '96, Liverpool beat Keegan's Newcastle 4-3 at Anfield in an evening kick off under the lights, with a last gasp Stan Collymore winner in injury time to win one of the all time Premier League classics.

One year on, March '97, Liverpool beat Dalglish's Newcastle in an evening kick off under the lights, with a last gasp Robbie Fowler winner in injury time to win another classic.

Sometimes, you just can't write this shit.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Hermann Hreidarsson holds a record for suffering five relegations with the five Premier League teams he played for.

Another signing won't hurt @NFFC 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Another one I'll always remember was the back to back Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle games over consecutive seasons.

April '96, Liverpool beat Keegan's Newcastle 4-3 at Anfield in an evening kick off under the lights, with a last gasp Stan Collymore winner in injury time to win one of the all time Premier League classics.

One year on, March '97, Liverpool beat Dalglish's Newcastle in an evening kick off under the lights, with a last gasp Robbie Fowler winner in injury time to win another classic.

Sometimes, you just can't write this shit.

I believe the only other fixture to deliver consecutive 4-3s in the Premier League was Wolves v Leicester, albeit they were 16 years apart.

The first probably one of the lowest results in our history. Think Wolves had something like 1 point after 7 games, we went 0-3 up at half time and somehow managed to lose, which I look back and think it set the entire tone for our relegation that season given how many points we tossed away. The second defied probably even more logic as a game involving teams managed by Nuno and Claude Puel somehow produced 7 goals.

Weirdly as well I think the three games afterwards of that fixture ended 0-0. If I'm not mistaken since they've come back up Wolves have failed to score in something like 9 out of 11 games against us. They definitely haven't scored away here I know that much.

This went on a bit of a tandem but I want to think it's inkeeping with the thread xD

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Nigel Quashie with a similar record? 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dan said:

I believe the only other fixture to deliver consecutive 4-3s in the Premier League was Wolves v Leicester, albeit they were 16 years apart.

The first probably one of the lowest results in our history. Think Wolves had something like 1 point after 7 games, we went 0-3 up at half time and somehow managed to lose, which I look back and think it set the entire tone for our relegation that season given how many points we tossed away. The second defied probably even more logic as a game involving teams managed by Nuno and Claude Puel somehow produced 7 goals.

Weirdly as well I think the three games afterwards of that fixture ended 0-0. If I'm not mistaken since they've come back up Wolves have failed to score in something like 9 out of 11 games against us. They definitely haven't scored away here I know that much.

This went on a bit of a tandem but I want to think it's inkeeping with the thread xD

No idea what it's like at other clubs but Leicester have a seriously weird habit of almost letting ex-players score against them.

Like it's some twist of fate that if you're a former Leicester player, the odds increase for you to score on your return against us. 

Archived