talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2023 Predictions League

football forum

Pole Position - Which driver will post the fastest lap in Q3?

Charles Leclerc

Podium - Which drivers will finish the Grand Prix in the top three positions?

1. Max Verstappen

2. Charles Leclerc

3. Carlos Sainz

Random Driver - Predict the finishing position of this week's random driver, Daniel Ricciardo.

13th

Bonus Question - Mercedes go into this weekend on 392 points with Ferrari breathing down their neck on 388. Which team will secure 2nd in the Constructors' standings this weekend?

Ferrari

Verstappen

1. Verstappen

2. Norris

3. Hamilton

Random Driver - Predict the finishing position of this week's random driver, Daniel Ricciardo.

P9

Bonus Question - Mercedes go into this weekend on 392 points with Ferrari breathing down their neck on 388. Which team will secure 2nd in the Constructors' standings this weekend?

Mercedes

On 22/11/2023 at 10:09, RandoEFC said:

Predictions - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

We've made it to the season finale! Deadline for predictions is the start of qualifying on Saturday.

@RandoEFC @Stan @MUFC @Tommy @nudge @Whiskey @The Palace Fan @Coma @DeadLinesman @OrangeKhrush

VER

1. VER

2. LEC

3. PER

P12

FER

Fuck you pre season predictions.

On 22/11/2023 at 10:09, RandoEFC said:

Predictions - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

We've made it to the season finale! Deadline for predictions is the start of qualifying on Saturday.

@RandoEFC @Stan @MUFC @Tommy @nudge @Whiskey @The Palace Fan @Coma @DeadLinesman @OrangeKhrush

Charles

1. Max

2. Charles

3. Norris

Ferrari

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I went for Russell in 3rd instead of Hamilton at the last minute after seeing his pace in practice and Hamilton saying he thought he could miss Q3. I did flirt with the idea of going for Piastri but didn't.

Max aside your second and third are different from mine and Stan. My only hope is getting the podium correct, Ferrari winning the title and getting Ricciardo prediction right. Even that is a long shot after getting pole wrong.

• Subscriber

Results - Season Predictions

265362861_ScreenShot2023-11-27at16_15_06.thumb.png.1d6e6ec7018ddbceb3dd400417873277.png

Let's get the final confirmation of these scores out of the way first. The only change after a pretty standard result in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was Charles Leclerc leap-frogging Carlos Sainz in the Ferrari Championship Battle. As everyone backed Leclerc to come out on top in this rivalry anyway, this makes no difference to the final result of the team-mate battles prediction category, but it does mean that @Stan and @DeadLinesman can both brag that they managed to call all ten of these match-ups correctly, so well done to them!

The only things that would have altered these scores involved one of the bottom four teams scoring a podium finish or Ocon, Magnussen or Zhou overturning their team-mate battles and none of those things happened, so last weekend's "provisional" scores for the season-long predictions stand and are no longer provisional.

Moving on then, to...

Results - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

419360731_ScreenShot2023-11-27at16_25_52.thumb.png.5abb445bb35ba3222165a9459f4a37ee.png

The last Grand Prix of the season sees seven out of ten competitors end up on the exact same score of 15 with exactly half of the predictions correct, with a rare instance of no 2 point consolation prizes being given out this weekend.

Qualifying saw as many as three people diverge from the herd of Verstappen backers. I deliberately avoid the word "gamble" here as Ferrari actually have as many pole positions as Red Bull since the winter break. However, the triple world champion delivered the goods on this occasion and started everyone apart from @MUFC, @Tommy and @DeadLinesman off with 5 points.

Race day saw everyone return to the safety of a VER top-step finish so it's a full row of green here with the Dutchman dominating another Grand Prix. @Stan, @MUFC, @Tommy, @nudge, @Whiskey and @DeadLinesman all backed this up with Leclerc in 2nd place. @RandoEFC was the only person to back Russell for a podium finish after his impressive pace in Practice and was relieved to pick up 5 points here. Backers of Sergio Perez to finish 2nd or 3rd could perhaps consider themselves unfortunate as his mistake overtaking Norris scuppered his chances. Particularly heartbreaking for @Stan and @Whiskey whose VER-LEC-PER combination could so easily have bagged them 20 points for a perfect top three as the race entered its final stint.

Onto the random driver, @RandoEFC was the only one to nail Ricciardo's finishing position of 11th, picking up 5 vital points in his bid to ward off a last minute assault on his position at the top of the prediction league. The field went 50/50 on the bonus question about whether Mercedes or Ferrari would come out on top in their season-long tussle for 2nd in the Constructors' standings, and this one was in the balance too in the last few laps of the race. It was the Silver Arrows who just clung on thanks to Russell's second podium finish of the season, yielding another 5 points for @RandoEFC, @The Palace Fan, @Coma, @DeadLinesman and @OrangeKhrush.

Here's what all of that does for the final standings.

Results - F1 Prediction League 2023

1784759126_ScreenShot2023-11-27at16_36_35.thumb.png.a2ba2808fafdde62e670ee7adebe947c.png

After a series of underwhelming races, @RandoEFC pulls out his best performance since Japan to secure the Drivers' Championship with a final margin of 19 points. @Stan holds on for 2nd place ahead of @MUFC, who took a few gambles this weekend in an attempt to nick the title, but would still have missed out by 1 point with a fully perfect weekend due to @RandoEFC's 25 points.

The rest of the table pretty much cancel each other out with so many people scoring 15 points. The only change to the final results sees @DeadLinesman pip @Tommy for 8th place.

The Constructors' standings see Ferrari hold on to the top spot by 4 points, despite being outscored by closest rivals Red Bull in the final Grand Prix. An excellent set of pre-season predictions from @Stan and @nudge was essential in seeing them over the line. Despite both drivers hitting the joint-lowest score of the final race weekend, Aston Martin hold on to 3rd place ahead of Alpine and Mercedes.

Thanks everyone for joining in this season! I'll do a little season summary soon in all likelihood!

• Like 3

• Administrator

Yessss @nudge winners :D 

F1-ferrari GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Quality write-ups @RandoEFC and thanks for running it! I was genuinely excited at how it was all going to unfold at the end. That 5-sec penalty for Perez denied me extra points!

But it's all about the team :D. About time Ferrari won something!

• Like 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Quality write-ups @RandoEFC and thanks for running it! I was genuinely excited at how it was all going to unfold at the end. That 5-sec penalty for Perez denied me extra point!

But it's all about the team :D. About time Ferrari won something!

I was genuinely more excited and enthralled in the last race of the season than almost any other actual race this season because of the predictions league xD.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
On 24/02/2023 at 18:14, Coma said:

It would be interesting to have two people pair up for this season and contribute points as a team, just like in the real F1.  Each pair of predictors will have a team name so you could award a "constructor champion" at the end of the season as well.  Teams could be selected randomly.  

Credit to Coma by the way for suggesting the idea of a Constructors Championship which I definitely think added a different fun aspect this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@RandoEFC - Good work and a high level of commitment you've contributed over the season. In the title fight I was round third from bottom all season yet bizarrely went into the final race with a shot at the title. 

@Tommy We were bottom literally all season yet had an outside chance going into the final race. Not bad as the other teams were sniggering at us in the paddock all season. 

@RandoEFC @Coma - Even so we are on different teams. The 3 of us share one thing in common this season. The 3 of us are part of the exclusive 30 club. As in on different weekend on a single occasion we managed to hit 30 points.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I still feel like I let us down. But I went with a bit of a different strategy in the last race, to maybe get something out of it. But it didn't work out. Sainz let me down. 

Oh and yea, @RandoEFC thanks for running this and congrats on your win. 

And congrats to @nudgeand @Stan. Finally bringing a title back to Maranello. xD

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1