talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Romeo Lavia - Midfielder Signs for Chelsea

• Administrator

Will be highly-sought after following Southampton's relegation. Quite a hefty fee though!

Chelsea are expected to launch a new move for Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia this week, sources have told Football Insider.

The Londoners have already laid the groundwork for a potential summer deal – and have learned that the Saints want a fee of £45-50million to part with the 19-year-old.

Liverpool have also registered their interest in signing the Belgium international, who was relegated with Southampton in the 2022-23 campaign.

Man City have a buy-back clause worth £40million for the midfielder, who left the Etihad Stadium for the south coast last summer (2022).

However, that option does not become active until 2024 – and the Premier League champions are considering making an early move for him in a bid to prevent their rivals from stealing him away.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/revealed-chelsea-to-make-new-romeo-lavia-move-after-liverpool-swoop/

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Southampton are putting price tags on their players that suggests they've forgotten they got relegated

if they want 50m for Livramento, nothing under 50m probably 60m for Lavia as worst case they get 40m next summer from City, or he stays and they go up and he costs more.   

Liverpool will need to pay 60+ to get it done

Looks like Southampton are ready to accept that offer, personal terms with the player all agreed, just a matter of the clubs agreeing on the way the installments are structured.

Unfortunately, looks like Fabinho's fucking off so I think we'll still have depth issues at midfield and I think FSG are unlikely to sign another midfielder. Hope we've got some academy players ready to make the step up to becoming squad players. I'm pretty certain Lavia will be our last bit of business over the summer - which is a bit shit because we could do with a CB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Romeo Lavia - Liverpool £45m Bid Rejected

I think we should walk away at this point. He's not worth that amount, not if we can land that similarly rated lad from Brazil for £20-30m. And honestly, I think we'd be better off bringing in players with a bit more experience considering we've lost Milner, Fabinho & Jordan of Arabia.

49 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think we should walk away at this point. He's not worth that amount, not if we can land that similarly rated lad from Brazil for £20-30m. And honestly, I think we'd be better off bringing in players with a bit more experience considering we've lost Milner, Fabinho & Jordan of Arabia.

I’m not sure it makes sense to walk away now. The difference is 5m, just get the deal done and pay up. It’s way too much money, but we clearly want him so you can’t lose him over that amount now. Southampton haven’t had to do much to rinse us since we are clearly desperate. 

The lack of noise around midfield signings is worrying, especially experienced ones. I’m sure we could have gotten Palinha from Fulham if we tried a bit. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I’m not sure it makes sense to walk away now. The difference is 5m, just get the deal done and pay up. It’s way too much money, but we clearly want him so you can’t lose him over that amount now. Southampton haven’t had to do much to rinse us since we are clearly desperate. 

The lack of noise around midfield signings is worrying, especially experienced ones. I’m sure we could have gotten Palinha from Fulham if we tried a bit. 

Paulinha would have been way overpriced tbh. He's off the back of a good season at Fulham, but he's also been deemed surplus to requirements at Sporting before that. Granted, Sporting brought in Ugarte (who we were rumoured to be looking at before he joined PSG). I think at best he'd have been a stop-gap signing before we look to bring in someone with more potential and a higher ceiling... like Lavia or Andre.

I think ideally we'd be looking at bringing in someone that fits the profile of Lavia/Andre as well as someone with a bit more experience. But I don't think FSG are willing to put down the cash for that. It seems to me like it's Lavia and nobody else in midfield, or Andre for as close to £20m as we can get Fluminense to agree to and bring in an experienced stop gap midfielder to rotate with him. I think the issue is anyone that's experienced and good enough to start in the role regularly is probably going to cost too much for FSG's liking - so it's likely anyone we bring in with experience is probably going to be fairly underwhelming. Possibly even a panic option like Arthur last season.

Judging by what our journos are saying, we seem committed to Lavia because he and his agent have expressed a strong interest in being a part of a project with us. So I think chances are we stump the extra cash to sign him. But I do think it's quite risky to be hoping to replace Milner, Jordan of Arabia, and Fabinho with one young player that's got less than 30 games of top flight football experience.

I think we've got just 22 first team players in our squad, which has to be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) number of first team players in a squad in the league. I think considering our history under Klopp where lack of depth causing us to lose our way and has sunk 2 of our seasons in the last few years... it's pretty fucking risky to have such a small squad while having big ambitions and trying to compete on every level. And I know 2 of the players we've lost are Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain... so two players that were really contributing fuck all... but they did manage to get some time on the pitch.

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I like Rodrigo De Paul

Chelsea have put in a 48m bid. If it’s a straight choice between us and them, the likelihood is that he goes to London I’d of thought. 

If we do end up letter Chelsea snatch him from under our noses it’ll be embarrassing and pathetic. 

• The title was changed to Romeo Lavia - Midfielder Signs for Chelsea