talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Romeo Lavia - Midfielder Signs for Chelsea

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We never tried to sign Fernandez though

PaulJoyce just said apparently River offered him for only 15m for Liverpool last summer. 

You opted for Arthur on loan...

Edited by Cicero
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

PaulJoyce just said apparently River offered him for only 15m for Liverpool last summer. 

You opted for Arthur on loan...

If true, Julian Ward should never work in football transfers again. Guy was a fucking clown.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If true, Julian Ward should never work in football transfers again. Guy was a fucking clown.

I think every club in world football should be hitting themselves in not discovering Enzo that early on. Even us. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FSG are tight bastards compared to you

They are still willing to spend 110m on a player.

Context needs to be shown as to why its taken so long? MacAllsiter and Sabitzwhatever was handled immediately. 

Edited by Cicero

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

So a bigger question to ask here is why Liverpool don't seem to be an attractive proposition for both these players?? 

They do. But Chelsea have more money to piss up the wall, which is more attractive. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FSG are tight bastards compared to you

That may well be but as I understood it Liverpool offered a higher wage for Caicedo than we were prepared to offer, Don't know how true that is but even that aside from a footballing point of view I don't understand why they wouldn't want to ply their trade with a club like Liverpool, Caicedo I can probably understand more as he gave his word to join us and he has stuck to it but Lavia would be getting way more game time with you than he probably will with us and of course you are in Europe which we won't have, well not this season at least.. Just seems odd to me, I can understand one of those players coming but getting both to join and both stating almost the same thing ( again if true ) seems strange?? 

I thought we would get one or the other but to get both players would great for us obviously.. Still , nothing concrete on the Lavia deal so let's see what happens.. 

Just now, Cicero said:

They are still willing to spend 110m on a player.

Context needs to be shown as to why its taken so long? MacAllsiter and Sabitzwhatever was handled immediately. 

The other players had release clauses, that's why they were quick and painless. Players we've tried to sign with fairly low release clauses and/or no release clauses have ended up saga's that just don't pan out for the club. Bellingham, Tchchhchcochsau (spelling?), Caceido, Lavia.

And regardless of the transfer fees, the way we structure wages the base pay is not all that high compared to City, United, Chelsea, and even Arsenal probably. It's the double edged blade of our incentive based contracts - especially off the back of a pretty poor season. If the side and the players do well, they're among the best paid in the league. If they don't do well, their wages don't look so hot compared to players at rival clubs.

It's going to be the case that some players see a much higher base pay and think "yeah, that's the option for me" - especially in this insane era of the sport where the money is absolutely outrageous.

There's a reason FSG want out of Liverpool. They bought the club thinking it was a sustainable investment and it turns out it's getting increasingly impossible to compete at the top level and have any semblance of sustainability. They can't match the base wages of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea and afford to pay high transfer fees. If we want top talent, they've got to be willing to have a lower base rate of pay and believe in themselves and the side to meet the incentives or be coming from clubs where the transfer fee is relatively low for the quality we're receiving.

With United, they spend big but at the cost of their footballing infrastructure (the stadium, the training ground) falling into disrepair. With the state run clubs, they've got so much money things just don't matter to them. When billionaires like John Henry are thinking "fuck this, it's unreasonably expensive" - I assume it's only a matter of time before Boehly's cocaine wears off and he starts having similar feelings to FSG.

This kind of spending isn't going to go well without truly endless pockets.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It would be easy to just laugh at Liverpool over this but to be honest I'm more concerned about what a mockery this transfer window is making of the sporting and competitive aspect of the league.

It seems every window makes a mockery of the last. It's not going to get any better until FIFA steps in. And FIFA's probably not going to step in because the more money spinning around in football, the more money their executives make in the end. There's no easy answer, for English football this is all a result of the league selling it's soul in the 90s so they could try to compete with the money spinning around in Italian football.

There's no end to it in sight. Football's been on this trajectory for a while, it's just the downward slide is becoming something of a nosedive now. Greed and rich cunts ruin another thing for everybody else, tale as old as time really. It's a bit like a microcosm of society, there's going to be a growing gap between the haves & have-nots - it's just going to seem more insane than real life because we're going to be seeing an increasing number of billionaires feeling like they're in the have-nots.

11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

That may well be but as I understood it Liverpool offered a higher wage for Caicedo than we were prepared to offer, Don't know how true that is but even that aside from a footballing point of view I don't understand why they wouldn't want to ply their trade with a club like Liverpool, Caicedo I can probably understand more as he gave his word to join us and he has stuck to it but Lavia would be getting way more game time with you than he probably will with us and of course you are in Europe which we won't have, well not this season at least.. Just seems odd to me, I can understand one of those players coming but getting both to join and both stating almost the same thing ( again if true ) seems strange?? 

I thought we would get one or the other but to get both players would great for us obviously.. Still , nothing concrete on the Lavia deal so let's see what happens.. 

I don't think it's true that we've offered a higher wage than Caicedo tbh. 

49 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think every club in world football should be hitting themselves in not discovering Enzo that early on. Even us. 

No, Benfica is the gateway for a lot of South American talent. I think the English clubs would rather wait and watch if they progress before commiting to a transfer.

Just now, Devil said:

No, Benfica is the gateway for a lot of South American talent. I think the English clubs would rather wait and watch if they progress before commiting to a transfer.

Hmmm, think with the economy Argentina are in right now every club should be exploiting it as bad as it is to say. 

If Enzo played in the Brazilian league he'd have gone to Benfica for at least £30m. 

100% agree here, Liverpool told or implied that Lavia was plan B to pursue Caicedo and now Lavia has soured on Liverpool and Liverpool have shown their hand to the table.

The only deals they have done are two release clauses.

this new director doesn't seem as good as the previous one.

• The title was changed to Romeo Lavia - Midfielder Signs for Chelsea